Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The best proposal for an 8 team playoff, so simple
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

The best proposal for an 8 team playoff, so simple

Nov 13, 2019, 9:16 PM

Thanks to Matt Leinert for the concept, keep the same exact structure as now except make the round 8 games, home games for the higher seeded teams, so that way there is just as much effort to be able to get a top 4 seed & the extra home game, imagine Oregon or Oklahoma having to come to Death Valley to play a game in December playing for a spot in the semifinals

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The best proposal for an 8 team playoff, so simple

Nov 13, 2019, 9:22 PM

IN this model - I am assuming there is "no conference championship game"? Because you would have to let them play that weekend if the bowl system is to stay in tact.

The conferences won't like that! If they had to play a conference championship game. Then a 1st round. Then a semi-final
Then final it would be a bit much.

Plus the conferences would not get that CCG money. The champion would have to be determined how?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 out of 5 Power 5's would go for getting rid of the CCG

Nov 13, 2019, 9:37 PM

in exchange for the extra revenue a 'Conference Champions Round' would generate. Only the SEC's game has been a big winner, and from the start. The other 4, ACC included, have mostly been a forgetful blegh with too many rematches and 'play out' opportunities. A Friday night / all day Saturday the 2nd week of December, one week after it is now, in the Top 4 home stadium environments, would be an absolute ratings bonanza that would trump today's CCG figures and revenue by a good ways. And there would even be one less game involved, 4 instead of 5.

Regular season conference records for each league champion, with agreed upon tie-breaker format for all involved so no rigging to jockey for an at-large.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 1:08 AM [ in reply to Re: The best proposal for an 8 team playoff, so simple ]

No you would still keep the Bowl system for teams ranked 9th or below, and since the top 4 teams would be able to host home playoff games, so had Clemson lost to UNC instead they would having to play on the road in Baton Rouge or Columbus instead, so it doesn't demean or lessen the importance of the regular season, the only difference is you keep a lot more fan bases around the country excited for college football and the chance to play for a National Championship

Acc could cut BC, VT, Cuse, and Pitt, have everyone

Nov 14, 2019, 6:09 AM [ in reply to Re: The best proposal for an 8 team playoff, so simple ]

Play each other with a 9 team conference schedule, and get rid of the champ game. Seems easy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: The best proposal for an 8 team playoff, so simple ]

I think maybe a 5 team playoff with a “play in game” for that 4th spot. I don’t really think there are 8 national championship caliber teams out there if were being honest

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 5:31 PM

I think you are missing the whole point, totally disregarding the fan bases for all the other schools that would generate far more interest in college football, instead of it being mainly a regional sport

Nov 14, 2019, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: The best proposal for an 8 team playoff, so simple ]

I think maybe a 5 team playoff with a “play in game” for that 4th spot. I don’t really think there are 8 national championship caliber teams out there if were being honest

I agree. 6 team play off seems right to me. 5 Power 5 champs plus best team from Group of 5. Bye to 1&2 in first round

Nov 14, 2019, 8:00 PM

byes are unfair, no way Ohio State or LSU deserve that kind of advantage over an unbeaten Clemson

Eliminate the 12th game. And play patsy game week 1***

Nov 13, 2019, 10:01 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On the surface, I like the idea of 8 teams.

Nov 13, 2019, 10:11 PM

But in reality, I prefer 4 teams for these reasons:

-I want the regular season to mean something.
-I don’t want teams in the playoffs that aren’t national championship caliber.
-I don’t want to see 2, 3, or even 4 SEC teams in the playoffs. That conference disgusts me and an 8 team format would just mean more SEC teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 14, 2019, 5:22 AM

Why not expand the playoff to 16 teams so all SEC teams can make the playoffs?

Nov 14, 2019, 8:27 AM

They tried that for many many years. How do you think Bama won all of those supposed championships?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: The best proposal for an 8 team playoff, so simple ]

16 teams. 10 Division winners plus at least 1 G5 and 5 others based on rankings (ND, Bama and O310 St if they loose their division).

1st round Conf Champ weekend at top 8 home field. 2nd round 2 weeks later after exam break at neutral site such as Conf Champ venues. Semis New Years and Championship as now scheduled and sites determined.

Only adds 1 game and you could eliminate 1 reg season game, typically FCS team. Maybe work out a revenue sharing with FCS to make up revenue loss. 12 addl playoff games would generate more $ than current Conf Championships.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 7:04 PM

djones73 said:

16 teams. 10 Division winners plus at least 1 G5 and 5 others based on rankings (ND, Bama and O310 St if they loose their division).

1st round Conf Champ weekend at top 8 home field. 2nd round 2 weeks later after exam break at neutral site such as Conf Champ venues. Semis New Years and Championship as now scheduled and sites determined.

Only adds 1 game and you could eliminate 1 reg season game, typically FCS team. Maybe work out a revenue sharing with FCS to make up revenue loss. 12 addl playoff games would generate more $ than current Conf Championships.

WADR why include teams which could not win their conference? Seems like a SEC line of thinking?

Nov 14, 2019, 9:49 PM

You would need to fill out the conferences to have 2 8 team divisions. Each division winner makes the field. This year, based on current standings, you would add ND, Cincinnati, Memphis, Bama, Penn St, 1 of FLA/Auburn/Wisc/Mich/BSU/App St. You could limit 3 per conference or mandate 2 G5

I know there are a lot of TNetters opposed to the

Nov 14, 2019, 5:30 AM

eight team concept, and I respect that and even agree with some of their arguments.

However, the "politics," if we want to call it that, of the playoff are going to demand an expansion, especially with the constant talk about two or more teams from the SEC in the final four.

Another suggestion would be to have each round of the playoffs, including the title game, on Saturdays, which would make viewing and travel easier. If conference title games were eliminated, I could forsee a possible future conflict with New Year's Day bowls, if each round of the CFP were two weeks apart and a Saturday was January 1st. But there are always more than one way to skin a cat. (Nothing against cats, of course.lol)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 7:15 AM

How about just have #4 play #5 as a play in game. Keep everything else the same. They always talk about making sure they get the 4 best teams in. Isn't the point to get the best 2 teams in so we can determine a true champion? If you can't make the final 5, what are the chances that you're the best team in the nation?

Nov 14, 2019, 9:09 AM

I have always thought the bowl structure should shift due to the playoff format. We talk of devaluing the new years bowls but how about we place a premium on them.

First the 8 team college football playoff , lower rounds played at bowl venues
5 - P5 conference champions, Highest rated champion from other conferences, 2 at large with a 2 team per conference limit

Next the Rose Bowl 8 team tournament using existing lower bowls
5 - Next available P5, next highest ranked champion from other conferences, 2 at large from remaining conferences

Orange Bowl Tournament using existing lower bowls
5 - Next available P5, remaining conference champions, remaining spots filled with at large

Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar bowl tournaments
All at large selections using the same format except opening games are played at home

Total:
48 teams reduces number of bad teams playing in bowls
33 bowl sites reduced from about 40 with increased revenue due to better match-ups
Much bigger interest from lower bowl teams
Rotate bowl game picks each year based on tier

null

Nov 14, 2019, 7:43 PM

Try this on for size: 6 team CFP playoff. Powe 5 champions + best Group of 5 team. First round 3 plays 6 ,4 plays 5, 1&2 get a bye. After that, bidness as usual

Regular season record still counts, Bowl system is preserved and at most only 2 teams would have to play a 16th game

Thank you

Nov 14, 2019, 7:49 PM

making the 3rd & 4th ranked teams have to play an extra game is too big a disadvantage for a potentially undefeated team, no way Clemson should have to play an extra game more than LSU or Ohio State, I hate the first round byes in the NFL & definitely don't want college to imitate that model, there are over 130 Division 1 teams, not 16 in a conference, like in the NFL

I'm kind of partial to this one

Nov 14, 2019, 9:15 AM

#1 SEC vs Pac 12 Champ
#2 SEC vs ACC Champ
#3 SEC vs Big XII Champ
#4 SEC vs Big Ten Champ

First round games are played at SEC home stadiums for fairness. After that the current format is used for semi-finals and championship game.

Thoughts?

Re: I'm kind of partial to this one

Nov 14, 2019, 9:39 AM

Nailed it! Exactly what expansion would bring about.

Nov 14, 2019, 2:49 PM [ in reply to I'm kind of partial to this one ]

Nov 14, 2019, 6:30 PM [ in reply to I'm kind of partial to this one ]

The 5 Power 5 Conference Champs and 3 more SEC teams. Might as well say that to make it bearable watching sports because everything would be how to get the SEC teams in.

Nov 14, 2019, 2:58 PM

getting an extra home game is a big time incentive to make the top 4, could you imagine a December playoff game in Death Valley vs a top 8 opponent, imagine the buzz & the financial impact on the surrounding area........

Nov 14, 2019, 3:41 PM

Have you seen the Jim Harbaugh model? Its actually quite good too. I think they should do away with Conference Championships and have each Conference "host" a first round game same weekend as the playoffs would have been, the revenue and venues stay the same.

Nov 14, 2019, 3:44 PM

Here is Harbaugh plan

Nov 14, 2019, 3:50 PM

an 11 team format? it'd never happen, plus most people like even numbers and less complicated

Nov 14, 2019, 9:24 PM

I didn't say it would happen I said it was a good format, did you look at the schedule? There are 5 conferences, that in itself is a major problem. I don't think anyone cares about the exact number its the game scheduling that matters, 1st Saturday in Dec has the two play in games then the second week is the big day....after that it's the same as it is now.

Nov 14, 2019, 9:27 PM

yes the 5 conferences makes it a problem

Make it the top 7 teams from the SEC plus the lowest ranked non-SEC team.***

Nov 14, 2019, 6:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 8:08 PM

Hey geniuses! the 6 team playoff for the NFL is for 16 team conferences so 3/8 teams make the playoffs, there are over 130 Division 1 teams, if you give the top 2 teams byes as in the 6 team format, then the CFP committee will make sure they come up with a way to make sure Clemson is 3-6 so we have to play an extra game, you are acting like fools with your heads in clouds pretending like the committee won't use those byes to screw us over, it's not like they are going to say "hey Clemson, here is your first round bye" get real. A 8 team playoff is much more fair & far less chance of us getting screwed over

Nov 14, 2019, 8:46 PM

Clemson has ended up 1 or 2 the last 4 years. Your bias argument doesn’t match the reality.

Nov 14, 2019, 8:51 PM

that was then, things have changed, there is no respect for the ACC, which is used against Clemson every chance they can & if it was a 6 team playoff, you can't be certain that we would've ended up in the top 2, any season except 2018, I don't trust the committee

Nov 14, 2019, 8:57 PM

Which year do you think Clemson was incorrectly ranked? Is #3 not reasonable so far this year? Chances are LSU or OSU will lose at some point before the playoff and Clemson will be Top 2 yet again. Hoping for #1 and the Peach Bowl.

We even ended up #1 losing to Syracuse in 2017.

Nov 14, 2019, 9:05 PM

I believe that having to play an extra game for an undefeated #3 ranked team, is too great of a penalty & will always cause problems when you end up with 3 or 4 undefeated teams (LSU & Ohio St are not so much better than us to deserve that advantage). give the top 4 teams a extra home game & teams 5-8 can prove they are worthy by going & winning on the road, I believe long term this format will be most beneficial to Clemson of any of the possible formats & all I care about are the Tigers & making sure we don't get screwed over.

Nov 14, 2019, 11:09 PM

How about 130 team playoff, top 126 get a bye. Maybe SEC teams should get double bye, and also would require double elimination to make up for being tired at the end of the year.

Nov 15, 2019, 1:36 PM

sarcasm, I like it

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic