Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Still have yet to experience Mac's Drive In.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

Still have yet to experience Mac's Drive In.

Feb 4, 2016, 9:39 PM

Pretty pathetic I know. Love to hear my dad and uncles' stories about that place. Seems like yesterday when it was 2007 FSU and Todd Blackledge started his "Taste of the Town" series there.

Any of you old school Clemson legends have any stories about that place? Or even stories about other legendary Clemson places those of us that didn't go to school there done know about?

P.s. frat houses only kind of count. I've probably been to most of them. I mean something more unique.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mac's is something of a bygone era***

Feb 4, 2016, 9:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Still have yet to experience Mac's Drive In.

Feb 4, 2016, 9:47 PM

Probably not a popular sentiment but count me among those who think Mac's "ain't all that". Basically if you aren't an insider you are a nobody at Macs. With food that IMHO is nothing to write home about, I find no reason to go there. Too many other, better places to spend my money, including McDonalds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2016, 9:52 PM

I used to love to go to Macs but this is back in late 70s and early 80s when Mac was still running it . The food was decent , loved the cheeseburger steak plate with double fries . I have not been there in close to 20 years so cannot comment on macs today but in my day it was laid back and Mac was a great guy.

Better bring cash if you plan on eating there.

Feb 4, 2016, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Still have yet to experience Mac's Drive In. ]

"Debit? Credit? Are you kidding?" Will be the response you get.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Feb 4, 2016, 9:59 PM

I went to Mac's for lunch this past summer when my wife was at Dabo's Ladies Camp... Meh...typical old burger joint and while the burger was OK, as a whole, I don't think Mac's is worth a lot of the hype that it gets on TigerNet. There are some interesting Clemson memorabilia photos on the walls that give it an old school Clemson vibe, but as my Dad used to say "you can't eat atmosphere"....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2016, 10:07 PM

If you're under 50 don't bother going in at lunch, dinner is more bearable. Come on...it's an old dive burger joint, you know what you get going in.

Crump <3 $EC

It's overrated and unfriendly

Feb 4, 2016, 10:06 PM

It used to not be but I wouldn't be alone in saying that employees give the impression that they don't want you there. Wouldn't say they're jerks but definitely indifferent towards your presence.

Feb 4, 2016, 10:08 PM

I love Mac's. Good food and lot's of Clemson folks, fans, coaches, players etc in eat there regularly.

The best ever at Clemson was Dan's........Dan Gentry.

Feb 4, 2016, 10:10 PM

Clemson legend and HOF IMHO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The best ever at Clemson was Dan's........Dan Gentry.

Feb 4, 2016, 10:28 PM

Yes it was. The sad thing, though it, closed in my Freshman or early Soph. year. So, I didn't go there much.

Re: The best ever at Clemson was Dan's........Dan Gentry.

Feb 5, 2016, 9:34 PM

I would have starved but for Dans...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dittos....best I recall, I ate there just about every day...

Feb 6, 2016, 9:38 AM

also close to the pool hall which took much of my time....mainly watching a guy named Hugh ('64 - '60) play. I like Mac's, but like someone earlier said, it's a burger joint....if you like fancy burgers on funky buns, don't go there. By the way, there was no bigger football fan than Dan Gentry!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pic of Dan's

Feb 7, 2016, 12:11 AM [ in reply to The best ever at Clemson was Dan's........Dan Gentry. ]
Dan's.jpg(200.0 K)

Before my time but heard a lot of stories about it

You arent missing anything.....

Feb 4, 2016, 10:11 PM

Mac's Drive In

Feb 4, 2016, 10:14 PM

would not last 6 months in the Charleston restaurant scene.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Mac's Drive In

Feb 4, 2016, 10:17 PM

Well good thing it's not in Charleston, huh?

Re: Mac's Drive In

Feb 4, 2016, 10:19 PM

if i am eating in clemson macs would not be on any list i come up with.

LOL...Beer Bryant....most people don't go to Charleston

Feb 6, 2016, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Mac's Drive In ]

for a burger!

Dan's Burgers

Feb 4, 2016, 10:17 PM

It has been almost 50 years since I graduated from Clemson, and I've eaten thousands and thousands of burgers all over the US. But, I've never had a burger that compares to Dan's. We just didn't really appreciate what 35 cents bought back then. Mac's burger is not in the same league.

I was president of a club my senior year, and the Anderson steak house where we held our annual dinners cancelled on us at the last minute. I went to see Dan for a recommendation, and I didn't know that he had a back room for dinners. He said, "I can take care of your organization right here. Don't worry, I'll take care of everything." Not only was his price more than reasonable, but those steaks he served were far better than the highly regarded place in Anderson. We had a great time that night.

Clemson never had a more enthusiastic supporter than Dan Gentry, and it was an enjoyable experience sitting near him at a game, regardless of the sport.

Amen. Going down there at night after putting

Feb 5, 2016, 1:09 AM

the books away was a treat. Burger heaven!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thread/Picture from Dan's

Feb 5, 2016, 1:28 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?m=1&threadID=1205633

Thanks!***

Feb 6, 2016, 12:10 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen...when I was a teenager I could go over to a football

Feb 6, 2016, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Dan's Burgers ]

game with a dollar in my pocket and eat a burger at Dan's and go to the football game. At that same time it costs about $2 or $3 to go to a Furman game at Sirrine Stadium (and they wondered why most kids were Clemson fans)...therefore, we just sneaked into the Furman games (usually under or over the fence.....never missed a game we went to)

Feb 4, 2016, 10:20 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT order a milkshake or ask for Ranch dressing to dip your fries in.

If you do, sh*t will get real. Very Real.

I can attest to sh!t getting real, especially with milkshake***

Feb 4, 2016, 10:35 PM

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: I can attest to sh!t getting real, especially with milkshake***

Feb 4, 2016, 10:38 PM

Yes for us too. So what's the inside story of the milkshakes? Why do they sell them if the guy gets pissed off when he has to make one?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is hilarious

Feb 5, 2016, 5:33 AM

My first experience there we dealt with the ranch dressing issue, and the rudeness of the staff but we jokingly compared it to the soup nazi on Seinfeld and put up with it. The burgers were ok then (~10 years ago) but I went back last year and the burgers weren't even what I would call good, not to mention, completely overpriced.

"trying to ruin my hamburger business" is what I was told

Feb 5, 2016, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I can attest to sh!t getting real, especially with milkshake*** ]

the owner (not Mac even though he was still there) that it took to long to make them. Never understood because how easy would it have been just to take it off the menu

You need to know when and when not to order the milkshake

Feb 5, 2016, 8:08 PM

If it's busy and Ted is there, then don't order one.

^^True! They don't do milkshakes.

Feb 5, 2016, 12:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Still have yet to experience Mac's Drive In. ]

The most polite reply you will get is that the machine is broken.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: ^^True! They don't do milkshakes.

Feb 5, 2016, 12:24 AM

Well I saw Spiller get one on ACC network... Strawberry if I remember corrwctly.. lol

******* HE DIDN'T ORDER RANCH FOR THE FRIES THOUGH... BEWARE!!!!

But, he's CJ Spiller***

Feb 5, 2016, 9:16 AM

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Why the h3ll would anyone order Ranch to dip their fries?

Feb 6, 2016, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Still have yet to experience Mac's Drive In. ]

That's why the make ketchup!

Feb 6, 2016, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Still have yet to experience Mac's Drive In. ]

LMAO at someone or anyone complaining about making a milkshake;that's just flat out laziness at it's best...lord help the guy who is complaining about making a milkshake having a hard labor working job in the 100 degree heat instead of working indoors in room temperatures...I just go to the Hendricks Center when I want a good milkshake

Most of the things people are complaining about in this

Feb 4, 2016, 10:32 PM

thread are what makes Mac's such a great Clemson Institution:

It's a dirty, hole-in-the-wall joint where the service is terrible, the "salads" are leaves of the same iceberg lettuce and a tomato slice they use on the burgers that only come with homemade thousand island dressing, and the food is greasy. It really was the best burger in town when I was there (not that long ago).

If you can't feel the Clemson history when you eat there, see those great players from the Howard and Ford days sitting at that counter, hear the Sunday afternoon baseball games on the radio in the springs, you're missing the point.

Re: Most of the things people are complaining about in this

Feb 4, 2016, 10:53 PM

I know that Ted's health is not good, but he and Pat are always friendly and glad to see me when I am in town. The food is fine and the conversation is excellent. Just my opinion

Re: Most of the things people are complaining about in this

Feb 4, 2016, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Most of the things people are complaining about in this ]

> thread are what makes Mac's such a great Clemson
> Institution:
>
> It's a dirty, hole-in-the-wall joint where the
> service is terrible, the "salads" are leaves of the
> same iceberg lettuce and a tomato slice they use on
> the burgers that only come with homemade thousand
> island dressing, and the food is greasy. It really
> was the best burger in town when I was there (not
> that long ago).
>
> If you can't feel the Clemson history when you eat
> there, see those great players from the Howard and
> Ford days sitting at that counter, hear the Sunday
> afternoon baseball games on the radio in the springs,
> you're missing the point.

or I could just go to esso. Nothing nostalgic about crap food, crap service, and a bad attitude. Entitlement sucks. Try ownership on for size.

Nailed it!*****************

Feb 6, 2016, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Most of the things people are complaining about in this ]

I've never been. Based on what I've heard, it's not worth the trip.

Feb 4, 2016, 11:15 PM

If you want a good burger, there are a dozen good places in downtown Clemson and they all have ranch dressing, milkshakes, and he ability to take credit cards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The Wellington burger at BGR is unbelievable.***

Feb 4, 2016, 11:28 PM

Seriously?

Feb 5, 2016, 9:46 AM

I think BGR is way overrated

you mean Ancheaux's?

Feb 6, 2016, 7:34 PM

i has a sad.

I lived a mile from macs while i was at clemson, never went***

Feb 4, 2016, 11:19 PM

Went ther e a few times a month while at Clemson...

Feb 4, 2016, 11:29 PM

A few suggestions:
1) Go when you are in a rush b/c the staff is astute and will get you in and out quickly.
2) Comment on the lack of eye movement from old man behind counter, just one eye, and say "Stop staring at me!" He gets a kick out of it.
3) Order a milkshake, best ever! They do make you thristy so ask for refill too.

Food: C, Service: C-, Atmosphere: C, Clemson Nostalgia: A

Feb 4, 2016, 11:35 PM

That's based on the last time I was there a few years ago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

That's generous.

Feb 5, 2016, 10:31 AM

Food C, Service F, Atmosphere sucked after being refused a half and half on fries and onion rings. Heck, I would have paid for an order of both but the old popeye'd a-hole flat out refused to cook the ### things for me.

Who treats customers like that. It's no like I was rude or even the least bit impolite.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rude service. Average food. Overrated experience.***

Feb 5, 2016, 10:34 AM

Feb 4, 2016, 11:41 PM

Just not the same as it was back in the day.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

One of the times I ran into Danny Ford at Mac's

Feb 5, 2016, 12:12 AM

He came in during the lunch rush, and there were no seats. They were going to find him a place, because he IS Danny. He said, "Nah, I'll just eat right here." He plopped his plate down on top of the ice cream freezer and began to eat. Danny is the same, no matter where you see him.

--Henry David Thoreau

Feb 5, 2016, 12:29 AM

The last time I ate there will be the last time.
It's was the ND game and the only thing good was it was dry.
The worst HB I ever had and the FFs were cold and EXTRA greasey.
I have ate there maybe 10 times the first 7 good, the last 3 beyond sucked.

Great Place

Feb 5, 2016, 5:55 AM

If you go to Mac's only for the food, you've never really been to Mac's. It's a quintessential Clemson ICON, and a huge part of my Clemson experience.

Agree***

Feb 5, 2016, 9:19 AM

--Henry David Thoreau

Agree.... I've been going there for 36 yrs.....

Feb 5, 2016, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Great Place ]

I always order the same thing.

Double cheese burger with lettuce,tomato, mayo, pickles. Fries, Sweet tea.

It's always good and has been the same since I've been going there.

My experiences with Mac's Drive In.

Feb 5, 2016, 9:23 AM

Great food, great set up. They don't make them like that anymore. I haven't been there since 1990.

Negatives: The lady working there had a mustache and borderline beard. Way too may roaches there as well at the time.

Re: My experiences with Mac's Drive In.

Feb 5, 2016, 9:38 AM

1. Have someone with Grey Hair with you.
2. Bring Cash

Re: My experiences with Mac's Drive In.

Feb 5, 2016, 7:42 PM [ in reply to My experiences with Mac's Drive In. ]

That would be Esther...she's gruff and hairy but my goodness once you get to know her she is a most lovable person. If she were still there (which knowing Esther, she may very well be...) I could walk in tomorrow and regardless of how busy they were she'd let out a big yell, come and give me a bear hug while calling my name and my order would magically and unapologetically come out first. God, I miss those wonderful memories filled with wonderful people! BTW, roaches don't eat much and they are as old as the place is and they are as much a fixture as all the photos of a Tiger greats on the walls. Funny side note, I was randomly flipping through some Clemson photos from years ago had and who do I see right behind Kathleen and the boys at one of Dabo's early pressers! Mac...Great pic.

Feb 5, 2016, 9:49 AM

I've never been either. Now I used to love me some Sardi's though. I've heard it's not as good of recent though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Feb 5, 2016, 10:09 AM

Didn't see Mac's. Only been to Clemson 3-4 times in my life (a serious tragedy). But I loved the Esso. Great food, pretty girls walking around (had to wear my shades so my wife wouldn't catch me peeking) and great atmosphere with friendly people. My family thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the esso.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I went there for lunch one summer.

Feb 5, 2016, 10:25 AM

I'd been out of school for almost a decade before I had time to eat there. I usually bought something on campus and ate on the way to the library or back to Lee Hall.

I was working on a house in the mid nineties. I ordered a burger and fries and asked for half and half w/onion rings. The ole popeye'd guy told me they didn't do that cause it just wasn't worth it.

I told him I didn't have the luxury of refusing my customers and never went back. I reckon if he's dead now it might be alright but as long as the name remains I won't return.

The burger and fries weren't as good or cheap as Joy's/Yank's in Liberty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MAC's WAS DONE WHEN MAC DIED***

Feb 5, 2016, 5:23 PM

Way Overrated...

Feb 5, 2016, 5:51 PM

Rude service, average food, nothing special here.

Been several times, same crap every time.

You sound like a happy person. Sure it's not you?**

Feb 6, 2016, 9:11 AM

nm

Before Macs there was Dan's

Feb 5, 2016, 6:01 PM

My dad knew Mac at Clemson and Mac used to work for Dan. Dan from what I am told was where TD's is now. I have eaten at Macs. For the in crowd I'm sure it's great. I was not as impressed. Pretty good burger and great sweet tea. Fries are meh.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Before Macs there was Dan's

Feb 5, 2016, 6:35 PM

Mac's quit being Mac's when Mac left the building!!!!

Feb 5, 2016, 8:28 PM

Other than the cool memorabilia on the walls, Mac's is not worth seeing. The food is pretty blah and the atmosphere is not how I heard it was back in the day. If you want good food and friendly service, there is no greater place than Paws. Leave campus like you're going to Seneca and its on the left across from the Harts Cove entrance. Their food is awesome. Don't miss chicken fried chicken night on Tuesdays!

Feb 5, 2016, 8:52 PM

Mac's was good back in the late 60's early 70's. Flipper machines plus a Hamburger steak, fries, salad with homemade French Dressing, toast and sweet tea for $1.25. When Ted raised the price to $1.35 everybody griped. Mac was a great character. He kept a dollar bill that Moses Malone tipped him stuck up on the menu until sometime in the late 90's.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2016, 9:05 PM

I loved Dan's too. A friend of mine was in line and talking about all of the players in the pictures on the wall. After he named about 20 straight, a guy behind him challenged him. He said, "I'll bet I can find one you don't know." He walked almost to the back and pointed to an old picture. Immediately he was told, "Charlie Mimms, Baseball, Elliott, SC, he's my cousin!"

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2016, 12:36 AM

Went to macs once or twice, rude and cramped, this was freshman year in 03, and went with a buddy whose aunt and uncle were locals and raved about the place. Now I am a local, I live less than a half mile from there and I still don't go. I prefer Paws but don't make it out that way much. There is another hole in the wall place that is as old as macs or older, called Mac Smith's, at the intersection of Lebanon road and Levis Smith Rd out past pendleton on the way to Anderson. I've hit that place up many times on my way to and from Anderson when I happen to be working there for the day. Food is awesome, big portions, and always friendly.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Been once to say I've been. Never been back

Feb 6, 2016, 3:04 AM

If that tells you anything. Quite disapointing. Food was very bland and the staff was not hospitable. Go another half mile to Columbo's pizza. Nothing can really teach the Esso though as far as Clemson environment and food.

Feb 6, 2016, 8:35 AM

Mac's is Mac's for whatever reason .. But you gotta love it ..

I don't remember it being set up like a drive in though ... Was it bigger back in the day??

what are you people actually going there for?

Feb 6, 2016, 7:39 PM

as advertised you pretty much get exactly what you are expecting.

don't understand how anyone could be disappointed.

it's a good ole fashioned griddle burger served by some ornery folks.

My first time was in 1973 and it was ..

Feb 6, 2016, 8:35 PM

Good back then - Mac was behind the cash register running things. But things were relative compared to now because there wasn't the competition in the Clemson area there is today.

Meh. If you have nostalgic memories attached, it's probably

Feb 6, 2016, 9:39 PM

great but otherwise, it's just not really worth it to me.

GO TIGERS

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic