Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Transfer Portal Has Transformed College Football...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

The Transfer Portal Has Transformed College Football...

Jan 2, 2021, 7:49 AM

...and we're not even REMOTELY in the game.

The last two season-ending games (last night and against LSU) we got smoked by a transfer portal QB. OSU's stud running back was also transfer portal guy too. I am not saying we needed different QB's or RB's but we sure as H3LL need O-Line and DB's. Until Dabo stops playing his own and Brett's 1-star kids in anything other than the final 38 seconds of an ACC game AND starts grabbing talented starters and back-ups via the portal (like every other high-level team we play against), this will become the norm. Win the ACC and get SMOKED in the CFP.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Transfer Portal Has Transformed College Football...

Jan 2, 2021, 7:51 AM

Umm no it really hasn't. What a stretch.

Jan 2, 2021, 8:05 AM

LOL, OK. Go read up on how many transfers have been approved by the NCAA as "immediate" without having to sit out a year over the last 24 months and get back to me.

Jan 2, 2021, 8:07 AM

Yeah, but those players are usually from scrub schools and when they do transfer they usually are a non factor.

Jan 2, 2021, 8:12 AM

Scrubs? Jake V. and Will S. say "hi". LOL

Jan 2, 2021, 8:38 AM

Huh?

Jan 2, 2021, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Re: The Transfer Portal Has Transformed College Football... ]

Here the 2020 list of Offensive Lineman. Some have found new schools, most haven't. But we never even we talked to 4-star Issiah Walker Jr. (Florida) or 4-star Jauan Williams (Florida State) and that other 4-star guy from Stanford. All "scrub" schools, right?. Those guys are certainly no better than our converted d-lineman and other "projects" we currently have at Clemson. LOL.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

Jan 2, 2021, 8:08 AM

Yeah man, it's just been such a bad ride. It's been only 2 yrs since we won it all and crushed Bama. I guess that's Bama's answer too, quit recruiting at the highest level and play in the transfer portal. Our program is in excellent hands. I'll trust the guys running it over you any day.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 8:11 AM

Where did anyone say anything about stopping recruiting? LOL.

Transfer portal effect is vastly skewed toward QB and skill

Jan 2, 2021, 8:36 AM

Positions that don’t rotate depth much. QB is the only position where a Justin Fields level talent doesn’t see the field, bc he has been beat out for the starting job.

Sure, you can pick up solid contributors at other positions, but to stereotype, these are often the “not a good fit” “not a Clemson culture guy” guys who are transferring bc they feel they have been wrongly passed by on the depth chart - we have had a couple of these guys leave in the last two years, and this board’s response wasn’t wishing them too well on the way out - that is the guy you’re trying to welcome on the other end now

Re: Transfer portal effect is vastly skewed toward QB and skill

Jan 2, 2021, 8:47 AM

The culture argument is fair , but myopic. What about the counter-argument that maybe a kid made a mistake or was pressured in committing to another school and Clemson is a great fit for him now? And with 90%+ of these transfers being allowed to play immediately coupled with our hard "no transfers" stance, and it's obvious we're getting left behind - especially in the big games. Do you think Saban and Day are wrong for accepting transfers and JUCO's? I certainly don't. We need to evolve as a program and adapt to the current realities of the situation. And our stance on transfers is the most glaring example of our unwillingness to do just that.

It’s not myopic. Dabos culture may miss out on some SEC talent with mediocre attitude/effort issues,

Jan 2, 2021, 9:10 AM

But it is also precisely what draws DJU over from California. You gotta take the good with the bad. I’m not saying all transfer kids are bad seeds obviously, but to deny that a large number of them have personality or character issues that either contributed to their transfer status in the first place or could possibly create locker room cohesion issues if they don’t mesh well is ignoring reality as well.

My first point stands though - can you provide examples of non-skill players on Alabama and OSU who came via transfer portal and had a large impact on their season to date? I honestly don’t know and don’t feel like digging that much, but my suspicion would be role players at best

Re: It’s not myopic.....

Jan 2, 2021, 9:25 AM

I am not going to dig through the data either for "non-skill" transfer player contributions, mostly because I don't want to spend days correlating data from thousands of PFF reports versus the transfer portal players. This binary thinking (transfers = team cancers)is outdated. A lot of kids with great attitudes and great talent are opting IN TO the portal because they want to win a championship not because they are have bad attitudes. It's the same thing the NE Patriots thrived on for years. Guys would come to the Patriots just to win a ring even if it meant pay cut. But with the current NCAA stance on immediate approvals, these kids don't face any downside (loss of a year) when transferring. Adapt or die - it's the nature of things.

You’re right that we could probably benefit from it

Jan 2, 2021, 10:19 AM

And we should, in appropriate cases, in the future. I just think it’s being overstated here as to why we lost. Picking up a transfer OG and safety would not have closed the gap last night. We need a bigger fix at OL long term - be it scheme, coaching or renewed recruiting efforts, maybe transfers included.

The fact that Ohio states two best players last night were transfers is also ignoring the fact that we recruited so well at those positions that we didn’t need transfers.

It’s not myopiwith mediocre attitude/effort issues,

Jan 2, 2021, 9:50 AM [ in reply to It’s not myopic. Dabos culture may miss out on some SEC talent with mediocre attitude/effort issues, ]

Landon Dickerson at Alabama . Heck he came from fsu we sure could have used him at guard or center the last two years.

You focus on non skill players but Sermon would have been a

Jan 2, 2021, 11:43 AM [ in reply to It’s not myopic. Dabos culture may miss out on some SEC talent with mediocre attitude/effort issues, ]

great complement to ETN. Thunder and lightning. He might been able to get some of the tough yards that ETN didnt. No knock in ETN the OL isnt a strong run blocking team.

Message was edited by: RC Tiger®

Message was edited by: RC Tiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 8:40 AM

Agreed. The transfer portal has changed the game and we are a great team with the best young men and best coaching staff. Dabo has said that he doesn’t like it and Clemson doesn’t use it now, but he is on record saying that eventually he probably will be forced to look at the transfer portal. Don’t like it but it’ll probably happen sooner or later. The last two playoff losses were showcases for transfer portal difference makers. They happened to be ‘skill position’ stars where we were already better, but if we want to win championships we might have to go shopping for key free agents.

Like I said, I don’t like it and would prefer we don’t but I’m also okay with trying to preserve our culture and take a hard loss like last nights every once in awhile to a team of mercenaries.

First world football problems...

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is one of the winningest coaches in CFB...

Jan 2, 2021, 8:44 AM

But I'm sure you know better.

Re: Dabo is one of the winningest coaches in CFB...

Jan 2, 2021, 9:10 AM

Sure he is, no argument. But the world has CHANGED and Clemson needs to change along with it or keep getting smoked on the big stage. And while your crafting your response, why don't you send Dabo a FAX of your support for him? LOL

"Keep getting smoked on the big stage"...

Jan 2, 2021, 10:21 AM

Hmmm did we smoked on the "big stage" in 2016 and 2018?..

Asking for a friend...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Keep getting smoked on the big stage"...

Jan 2, 2021, 10:33 AM

Uhm..the way the NCCA handles transfer portal players has changed since 2016 and 2018. Try to keep up.

Jan 2, 2021, 8:44 AM

The portal is new. What it is about to become is a place where not only a player that is not getting time goes to transfer, but also those that are great players that want a real shot at winning a NC. This is what is coming and the elite programs are going to recruit those kids that did not bloom until college. Free agency for the rich to get richer.

Clemson will need to get in this game to plug holes to stay elite IMO. This is not the recruiting world that we have lived in for most of our run. I hate it but it is what it is.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 10:00 AM

I agree that we need to consider transfers. When we miss on our main target, why not consider a transfer?

Jan 2, 2021, 10:09 AM

Well, according to some of the posters here, bringing in a transfer is the same thing as feeding the team asbestos for breakfast every morning - and Dabo and Brett would be powerless to stop the effects. .

Adapt or die.

Maybe our D needs to eat a little asbestos at the training

Jan 2, 2021, 10:36 AM

table. Might have helped with the burn last night! :)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe our D needs to eat a little asbestos at the training

Jan 2, 2021, 11:34 AM

OK, that is actually a little bit funny. ;)

Jan 2, 2021, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: The Transfer Portal Has Transformed College Football... ]

It’s made CFB like C Basketball. Teams will be one year wonders. Clemson and Bama are there every year. LSU was LS who this year. OSU will be the same next. We could plug some gaps for sure or do it the right way, I trust our system!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 10:13 AM

You DO realize Saban has transfers and JUCO kids on his team, right?

I think it's a good point you're making...

Jan 2, 2021, 11:40 AM

I can also see where people are coming from about trusting Dabo's system.

Dabo has not ruled out using the transfer portal for those arguing against it, however. I think this point needs to made.

I like the idea of committing to a kid's four years and it's the staff's fault if they miss evaluating a kid.

HOWEVER, I do think the staff needs to be held accountable for their units underperforming. Our OL, DL, and secondary were toasted last night and against LSU. Two games against high-quality teams is not a pattern but it's something to be kept an eye on.

I do not see us recruiting to improve the safety position, defensive back recruiting is above average but nothing crazy. The talent seems to be increasing on the OL. It's all something to look out for, and why not use the portal for plugging in if all the other elite teams are?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it's a good point you're making...

Jan 2, 2021, 11:47 AM

Dabo is a GREAT college coach. He has shown a willingness to adapt in the past (hello Kevin Steele), but he has a huge blind-spot about transfer and JUCO kids. My guess is it stems from his time as a walk-on at Alabama.

Jan 16, 2021, 1:29 PM

Weird this thread should just pop up again.....LOL

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic