Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Texas Rangers are now being called on to change their name
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

The Texas Rangers are now being called on to change their name

Jun 19, 2020, 8:14 AM

Because it is synonymous with a police force.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/columnist-suggests-texas-rangers-change-name-due-to-law-enforcement-agencys-racist-past-224820387.html
https://media-mbst-pub-ue1.s3.amazonaws.com/creatr-images/2020-06/6d135850-b1b6-11ea-bcfd-07cb4f14e13a">

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dr. Ben Carson was 100% correct when he said...

Jun 19, 2020, 8:24 AM

"America needs to grow-up and stop being offended by everything"

“We’ve reached a point in our society where we dissect everything and try to ascribe some nefarious notion to it."

"We need to move away from being offended by everything, of going through history and looking at everything, you know, of renaming everything.”

"It really gets to a point of being ridiculous after a while. And, you know, we’re going to have to grow up as a society."

I couldn't agree more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Dr. Ben Carson was 100% correct when he said...

Jun 19, 2020, 8:28 AM

SO NOW WE GOT TO GET RID OF CEO BECAUSE THE C STANDS FOR CHIEF. WHEN ARE PEOPLE WITH ACTUAL BRAINS GOING TO GROW A SET AND SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3rd***

Jun 19, 2020, 9:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree... That may be a first for me.***

Jun 19, 2020, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Dr. Ben Carson was 100% correct when he said... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, a certain % of America needs to grow up.....***

Jun 19, 2020, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Dr. Ben Carson was 100% correct when he said... ]

Jun 19, 2020, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Dr. Ben Carson was 100% correct when he said... ]

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

James 1:19-27

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2020, 11:45 AM

Thank you!

I don't have an opinion on the Rangers, but that is BS

Jun 19, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Dr. Ben Carson was 100% correct when he said... ]

Why does that quack get to be the authority on how people should feel? Why do you think you have the right to tell someone whether something is offensive?

I like you Big. Despite our political differences, I feel like you are one of the level-headed ones here. But no one has the right to tell another person whether or not they should be offended; especially about something out of their control like race. "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes" comes to mind.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't have an opinion on the Rangers, but that is BS

Jun 19, 2020, 10:05 AM

Dr Carson is a quack? Come on., disagree all you want but that man is a brilliant doctor.

Brilliant doctor; political quack.

Jun 19, 2020, 10:07 AM

He's more unhinged than trump!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brilliant doctor; political quack.

Jun 19, 2020, 10:11 AM

I think the black community would be well served to make role models out of people like Dr Carson rather than the current thugs of society. Dr Carson came from poverty to become one of the worlds best doctors. That’s the guy that should be the hero.

Stop using the word thugs. It makes you look incredibly

Jun 19, 2020, 10:24 AM

ignorant.

Now imagine black people telling you who to look up to? Does that make you question whether or not you should be telling others to idolize? Dr. Carson is a very successful surgeon. That does not automatically make him a good role model. There are glaring inconsistencies in his story and his rhetoric often speaks against the interests of black people in America. Hell, he even publicly renounced adding Harriet Tubman (a true black idol) to the twenty dollar bill!

He's likely the least qualified cabinet member (for his post) in history. If not for Trump, he might be the least qualified politician (for their post) in American political history.

His contributions to neurosurgery cannot be ignored. But he is not an idol to Black America for plenty of good reasons.

Re: Stop using the word thugs. It makes you look incredibly

Jun 19, 2020, 10:42 AM

You’re absolutely right. Someone who grew up with an undereducated mom who pushed her son to want more, a son who worked his butt off to achieve more, go to college and own his future. Proved he is a top notch surgeon and decided to make a change by getting into public service. You can agree or disagree with his views but you absolutely can’t disagree he’s wanting to do better for inner cities.

Very good assessment on your part, he is not a role model for black families. He is a role model for all families who want to work hard to better their situation.

Re: Stop using the word thugs. It makes you look incredibly

Jun 19, 2020, 10:52 AM

Absolutely correct. Let’s celebrate that kind of success. His story is a testament to American opportunity.

Do better for inner cities? Are you mad?

Jun 19, 2020, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Stop using the word thugs. It makes you look incredibly ]

He openly promotes discrimination in federal housing policy. He attempted to spend 30k of taxpayer money on a dining set for his HUD office, only to back out once he was caught. And he's attempted to basically disable affordable housing policy - which many minority families NEED to avoid homelessness - by proposing slashing budgets, rent hikes, and work requirements. Thankfully, he's been largely unsuccessful.

Remember when he didn't know (as Housing Sec) what an REO was?

He is as ineffectual of a Secretary as we have ever seen. Thankfully he is stepping down next year.

A lot of this really isn't his fault. He had no business being an appointee for federal housing policy. it would be like hiring a school Superintendent that never worked in a school!

Could it be that he simply doesn't agree with your Leftist

Jun 20, 2020, 6:55 AM

policies?

Or must we denigrate every who doesn't agree with your policies?

Actually, everyone has that right.

Jun 19, 2020, 10:11 AM [ in reply to I don't have an opinion on the Rangers, but that is BS ]

At least they did back when the 1st Amendment was in effect. I will tell everyone that they have a happier life if they follow these two rules.

1. Try not to offend people.
2. Try to not be offended by people.

Try not to be offended? Poppycock.

Jun 19, 2020, 10:14 AM

Telling others how to feel - especially when you are far removed from understanding their POV - is a terrible way to live. Terrible.

Re: Try not to be offended? Poppycock.

Jun 19, 2020, 10:17 AM

I agree so please stop telling g those of us who would rather not have our entire history erased to stop being upset about it.

^^^Hey look, a UNC "graduate" telling Clemson people

Jun 19, 2020, 11:04 AM

what to do on a Clemson message board. That UNC feeling of elitism never ceases to amaze me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: ^^^Hey look, a UNC "graduate" telling Clemson people

Jun 19, 2020, 11:23 AM

What does anything I’ve said have to do with bring elite? I absolutely do not feel that way. One of the things that I’ve admired about Clemson is that many in their fan base are conservative and patriotic. I’ve admired the way Dabo runs the football program too. That’s why I came on this board. I’ve been nothing but complimentary about Clemson as a university and athletic program. I have a grand daughter who is a Clemson student. With all of that said if standing for patriotic values ,and asking people to be accountable for their actions makes me “elite” then call me whatever you want. Start with elitist then go to the usual racist card. I really don’t care.

That sounds like something a UNC elitist would say

Jun 19, 2020, 1:09 PM

Let me guess...you always recommend a wonderful white chardonnay that "pairs beautifully" with a nice brie for football tailgates, and you idolize the likes of Dean Smith and John Swofford.

How'd I do? I bet I nailed it. Did I nail it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: That sounds like something a UNC elitist would say

Jun 19, 2020, 1:52 PM

You’re a funny guy!! Honestly , I can’t answer because I don’t even know what a “nice Brie” is. Honest to God I don’t. But since you’re trying to figure me out I’ll help. Born and raised on a dairy farm in NC. Currently own a business and I come home dirty and sweaty every day. I don’t drink alcohol, I don’t smoke, I’m in church every Sunday. I get up before dawn and go about 12 hours a day. I respect you and your great university. As I said , I’m a proud grandparent of a Clemson student. If all of that makes me an “elite UNC grad then I guess I’m guilty as charged”. Lol.

When you say you don't drink alcohol, you mean you

Jun 19, 2020, 2:13 PM

don't drink any alcohol other than bourbon, right? Because I am trying to build some trust here, but you're making it more and more difficult.

Re: When you say you don't drink alcohol, you mean you

Jun 19, 2020, 2:17 PM

I’m starting to really like you GWPTiger. I’m serious, this is fun.

Don't do this, we are supposed to be bitter rivals where

Jun 19, 2020, 2:51 PM

I point out how your granddaughter is much smarter than you are because she doesn't like those baby blue argyle patterns UNC people wear. We go with the orange overalls, even though Judge Keller® is embarrassed by them, but hey, if anyone should have been an uppity elitist UNC fan, it's Judge Keller.

Anyway, I digress...

Re: Don't do this, we are supposed to be bitter rivals where

Jun 19, 2020, 2:58 PM

We finally agree on something!! Yes, my granddaughter is smarter than me! If I’m honest I’ll admit I love my Heels but I’m not crazy about the baby blue color either.

Jun 19, 2020, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Try not to be offended? Poppycock. ]

Wow that is an interesting point. What if we take that logic of not telling someone how they should feel and translate that to someone shouldn't tell another person what to name their organization or business or building. That just wouldn't be the same I'm sure, because some things are ok in how to direct someone's life but not their feelings. HYPOCRITES

The point went right over your head.

Jun 19, 2020, 10:37 AM

It's going to be interesting to see how far this goes. Lots and lots of wrongs will be righted.

When an openly racist legislature/governor add a confederate symbol to a state flag in the middle of the civil rights movement (speaking about my home state, Georgia)...you get a clearer picture of why things are changing. When a monument to the confederacy (traitorous army that attacked the United States) is erected in a town square during a time when black people are fighting for basic rights...you get a clearer picture of why things are changing.

When you begin to examine why many of these things exist; their timing, their placement, etc. You start to understand a little more why there is a call to action for their removal.

If you let other people offend you,

Jun 19, 2020, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Try not to be offended? Poppycock. ]

you are surrendering your peace/contentment to them. If you want to be happy, try not to be offended by things. That doesn't mean losing the ability to recognize right/wrong, good/evil, justice/injustice. I just contend if you are constantly offended by internet posts, bumper stickers, T-shirts, etc., you will be a miserable person.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not really talking

about the "little stuff" here.

Completely agree !!!!***

Jun 19, 2020, 10:47 AM [ in reply to If you let other people offend you, ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2020, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Try not to be offended? Poppycock. ]

Not really, but ok.***

Jun 19, 2020, 12:12 PM

I don't think that's what he was talking about.

Jun 19, 2020, 10:45 AM [ in reply to I don't have an opinion on the Rangers, but that is BS ]

I think he's referring to that segment of the population that seemingly isn't happy unless they're b!tching, moaning, whining or complaining about something.

The whole "Rangers" thing is beyond ridiculous.

When the Muslim extremists flew planes into the World Trade Center, we were told that this should not be a indictment against all Muslims

When people were rioting, looting, vandalizing and destroying personal property and business, we were reminded that this conduct is not indicative of all black people and not to judge the majority based on the inappropriate conduct of a few.

However, when a handful of police officers go rogue, I think it's very telling that the law enforcement community as a whole isn't extended that same level of consideration. Instead, all police officers are suddenly viewed as bad guys.

Don't have time to get into specifics

Jun 19, 2020, 11:07 AM

but have you ever looked into any studies on police officers in the US? I recently read about a study by a university criminologist that showed that out of more than 10,000 officer arrest cases, about 6.3% involved false reports or statements. And around 1/4 of those cases involving false reports or statements also involved alleged acts of police violence.

Police officers (like most people) lie. They lie for self-preservation or to justify their actions. It does not mean all cops are bad. But when your actions result in people's deaths; you have to be highly scrutinized. Much like a doctor or lawyer.

I think many people are grateful for the work that good police officers do. Many of them are truly heroes; no doubt. But calling for accountability for their profession should not be viewed as being against them. It will only help to weed out the bad seeds.

I don't disagree with that...

Jun 19, 2020, 11:16 AM

but that doesn't change the fact that a segment of the population views any police officer as a bad guy.

There is no justification for attaching and/or killing a person just because they're wearing a police uniform yet it's happening and instead of a moral outcry, we hear the "one of theirs for one of ours" bull$#!7.

It's a double standard and the epitome of hypocrisy.

Those are fringe people. I don't side with them.

Jun 19, 2020, 11:40 AM

But when you hear experiences - like what our own Nuk Hopkins shared - of being profiled...it's hard to imagine what that would be like. And how it might leave a bad taste in your mouth. It certainly doesn't justify violence against police officers; but it's important perspecitve.

The one that really gets me is Philando Castile. I would think that every card-carrying NRA member would have been up in arms about that one. Watch that video if you haven't. That man was following every directive, was a licensed concealed carrier, informed the office of his weapon, moved slowly and deliberately, and was still shot 5 times and murdered in front of his girlfriend and her child.

Yet the NRA remained silent and the officer was acquitted. He killed that man in cold blood and he was acquitted. Police officers that are formally charged with murder escape conviction over 95% of the time. That is a staggering statistic. Not implying that they shouldn't be acquitted (up to each individual case) but that really stands out.

I think you can categorize those as fringe people too.

Jun 19, 2020, 11:59 AM

I've seen the Philando Castile video, and I think it's fair to say the officer panicked, overreacted, and grossly mishandled the entire situation.

I wish I could say that I was surprised he was acquitted.

And here is why I made the comment in my original

Jun 19, 2020, 12:10 PM

post in this thread.

I really do like you, Big. Good dude.

Jun 19, 2020, 1:55 PM [ in reply to I don't have an opinion on the Rangers, but that is BS ]

He is right and if you disagree you must be part of the problem. Get over yourself dude. He is not telling anybody what to do. He is saying grow a pair of fn balls.

Sounds like a lesson to teach my 3 and 7 year old daughters

Jun 19, 2020, 2:35 PM

"grow a pair of balls, girls. If someone offends you, all you have to do is grow a pair of balls and you will be ok!"

Re: Sounds like a lesson to teach my 3 and 7 year old daughters

Jun 19, 2020, 7:13 PM

It's not meant to be literal obviously. It is certainly okay to be upset about things but if you let little meaningless things offend you all the time you are going to be a sad sad person throughout life. Of course people should get along and love each other but that isn't always the case and never will be.

Since we aren't allowed to tell people how to feel

Jun 19, 2020, 3:03 PM [ in reply to I don't have an opinion on the Rangers, but that is BS ]

I hope you also oppose the guilt trip many on the left and in the media are insisting on applying toward white people today, such as:

-You must apologize for your "white privilege"
-You must feel badly for "systemic racism"
-You must agree with removing any and all references to anything offensive (building names, street names, monuments, consumer brands, etc.)

And if you oppose any of the above, you're a racist who lacks empathy, compassion, and awareness of the world around you.

Moreover, white people are being told that they must apologize for disagreeing with any of the above. And even if they do apologize, they will still be labeled a racist.

Many white people are offended by the rules that the powers that be have put into place for discussions regarding race and society. Based on your post, you fully support the right of white people to feel offended, yes?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I think the problem here is your failure to recognize

Jun 19, 2020, 3:13 PM

how many white people ARE racist.

Jun 19, 2020, 7:59 PM [ in reply to I don't have an opinion on the Rangers, but that is BS ]

I don’t think anyone is telling someone how they should feel. But how you feel doesn’t determine whether or not something is right or wrong.

I feel it’s unfair that Clemson has so much more talent than my Gamecocks. That doesn’t mean you guys out recruiting us is actually wrong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

liberals are sensitive

Jun 19, 2020, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Dr. Ben Carson was 100% correct when he said... ]

They need the entire world to be a safe place. They need the capitalist's money to spend though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who are the sensitive ones complaining all over TNet?***

Jun 19, 2020, 10:20 AM

Well, Steve Chapman and Doug Swanson

Jun 19, 2020, 10:36 AM

Are complaining about the Rangers' name. People here are complaining about their complaining. You are complaining about the complaint over Steve and Doug's complaint

I think everyone's exercising an American right to complain/protest. We've just all become surly jerks after being locked down with no sports, and it's hard for many to actually listen and debate a point rather than just descend to childish snapping and passive-aggressive sarcasm that's very trendy on the Internet.

Clemson

Actually a lot of truth to this CUgrad2011

Jun 19, 2020, 10:39 AM

I've found myself to be increasingly aggressive and combative. My soul just needs some #### football!

Amen***

Jun 19, 2020, 10:41 AM

Clemson

Should change name to Hat Creek Cattle Company.

Jun 19, 2020, 10:28 AM

Gus and Call say hey.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Texas Rangers are now being called on to change their name

Yep, just keep rolling over and lets just take down everything in our country! Oh yeah, better take this weekend to dust off the bunker you are going to use. Hopefully you have one. I know I do!

Jun 19, 2020, 11:18 AM

Jun 19, 2020, 3:22 PM

To Tejas? While we're rectifying slights whether real or perceived, I guess the U.S. needs to cede Texas, most of the SW and California back to Mexico. Then Spain needs to pay reparations to the millions of descendants of indigenous people of the New World. This is really getting to be ridiculous. At least Sam Houston may? get a pass. While a slave owner, he opposed expanding slavery into more states and actually opposed secession. The Cherokees "adopted" him and called him Black Raven as if there were another color of Raven. Personally, I think looking at everything, Houston should remain Houston. Now Texans--perhaps Tejasans is in order. We need to play sports soon, have a tsunami or have OJ do something sensational again to get off this never ending PC jag. I'm obviously guilty of playing along with this back and forth "conversation." The good news is how easy most of Americans have it to be wrapped up in all of this.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good. Change it to the Fighting Finebaums.***

Jun 19, 2020, 2:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2020, 4:01 PM

try reading the actual essay, and you'll perhaps understand why he is arguing that.

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic