Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Stock Market goes up/down, some stocks never change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

The Stock Market goes up/down, some stocks never change

Feb 9, 2021, 5:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

The best investment I never made. Around 1991, a plant

Feb 9, 2021, 7:16 AM

manager and I would sit in my office every Friday and eat popcorn and BS. He was big in the Stock Market and talked me into investing. I did, in Home Depot, Pfizer to name a few. He strongly urged me to buy Dollar General. I remember him saying, "if I was a young buck like you, I'd buy as much DG as I can. They are going to put those things up everywhere." Walmart was king and I thought there was no way they could compete and would eventually fold. Looking back, that was some sound advice I should have taken.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The best investment I never made. Around 1991, a plant

Feb 9, 2021, 8:28 AM

I knew if was patient a rich friend would come into my life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Feb 9, 2021, 8:35 AM [ in reply to The best investment I never made. Around 1991, a plant ]

Years ago when I first retired, I took a two way transcontinental car drive largely on blue highways. It was an excellent trip which kept me off the beaten path and through seemingly hundreds of little cities and towns in close to 20 different states. Along the way I noticed hundreds of dollar stores and most of them had several cars parked out front. It occurred to me that dollar stores, of whatever brand name, served as a sort of mini-walmart in towns and places too small to support a mega store of any size.

When I got back home I did a wee bit of research and purchased a fair amount of stock in the 3 biggest dollar store chains. That's been an excellent investment which I still hold. A couple of years later I was visiting my daughter in Austin and found out she was shopping fairly regularly at Five Below. The concept seemed somewhat similar to that of dollar stores, but they were aimed mostly at students and young adults. That has also been a fine investment. Stores aimed at serving the lower end of the retail market have been a good investment for many years.

Luckily I have never bought into Laughing Stock.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2021, 10:05 AM

Good one 2k.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic