Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Real Reason Clemson No Longer Launches Balloons...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

The Real Reason Clemson No Longer Launches Balloons...

May 10, 2019, 8:28 PM

The environment is a convenient excuse and makes Clemson seem environmentally responsible, but the real reason that they will never admit is skyrocketing costs related to the global helium crisis.

I don’t blame Clemson for taking the route that they did as this makes them look good and appeases the tree huggers...Clemson PR is really among the best, but the truth is out there.

Party City knows it, and consumers throwing parties requiring balloons are starting to see it too.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1004386

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Real Reason Clemson No Longer Launches Balloons...

May 10, 2019, 8:40 PM

Assuming sarcasm here. I hate it that the atmosphere has changed...along with 27 fans on the Hill for the entrance. I participated in the Guinness World Record launch against UMD in 1983. Some traditions need to continue. My wife just inflated 6 balloons with Helium on the way to an office farewell. No Environmental Police stopped her. No turtles will be harmed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not a environmental concern, it is just that helium is

May 10, 2019, 8:43 PM

getting scarce. It is becoming very expensive and is costing a lot more to use. Welders are feeling the pinch as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: It's not a environmental concern, it is just that helium is

May 11, 2019, 11:43 AM

Clemson made the decision to stop releasing balloons in July of 2018, and the helium prices spiked in September of 2018. Maybe the people who made this decision were prophets.

May 10, 2019, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: The Real Reason Clemson No Longer Launches Balloons... ]

The OP is correct. Helium shortage with increasing prices made national news.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No sarcasm at all. Did you read my post?

May 10, 2019, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: The Real Reason Clemson No Longer Launches Balloons... ]

There is a helium shortage and the costs skyrocketed. That’s why Clemson ended it, not for environmental reasons. Not sure how that is sarcastic???

May 10, 2019, 9:12 PM

The environment is a convenient excuse and makes Clemson seem environmentally responsible, but the real reason that they will never admit is skyrocketing costs related to the global helium crisis.

I don’t blame Clemson for taking the route that they did as this makes them look good and appeases the tree huggers...Clemson PR is really among the best, but the truth is out there.

Party City knows it, and consumers throwing parties requiring balloons are starting to see it too.

Ok am not so sure about that being a reason. I can still get all I want. The price has gone up a little over the last few years, but not disproportionate to the rest of the welding supplies. Aragon actually seems to have gone up the most in price.

May 10, 2019, 9:34 PM

Could be something like this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BJ_-pNcm0M

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2019, 9:53 PM

So you’re saying that baby Hitler May be behind this? It’s plausible, I suppose. I don’t doubt anything these days.

May 10, 2019, 9:39 PM

I always wondered if a helium canister got heavier the more it got empty.

May 10, 2019, 10:10 PM

86CUBeta said:

I always wondered if a helium canister got heavier the more it got empty.

Generally no, because the full container is pressurized.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2019, 10:33 PM

LOL...a healthy debate for sure.

well kind of...

May 10, 2019, 11:46 PM

when the tank is empty, it is still full of helium. The helium will be at atmospheric pressure. If the pressure is the same inside and it is outside, there is no flow. You have to pressurize the helium. You put more molecules inside the tank. The helium molecules have weight to them, they just weigh less than air so individual molecules rise. When you pressure them you increase the density of them, and they weigh more than the outside area.

At some point, when the pressure gets low, the tank will start to get heavier again because the helium at low pressure is less dense than the air outside but still higher pressure than the air outside.

So the tank starts out heavier than empty. It gets lighter lighter lighter than at some point it is it's lightest and then gets a little heavier until the pressure of the helium inside is at 1 atm.

I think...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sound like the morans at discount tire telling me

May 11, 2019, 12:07 AM

Nitrogen is exactly the same as oxygen. Cause yea they have the same letters on the periodic table?!

Did I accidentally post this on a GT message board???

May 11, 2019, 6:50 AM

This thread has gone full nerd. ??

I understand what y’all are saying, but I assure you that

May 11, 2019, 6:48 AM [ in reply to well kind of... ]

the weight of the tank never changes. It simply feels lighter and easier to move thanks to the dynamics of the helium inside. Just for clarification.

May 10, 2019, 10:54 PM

I think water balloon launches should replace the old helium releases .
Sell the slingshots at concessions .
Put 4 tickets to a basketball game insude of a few ... just to spike interest in taking one in the face .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 10, 2019, 11:02 PM

A loyal fan and friend will take it in the face, no doubt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BULL Shyatt...

May 10, 2019, 11:56 PM

Dont be an idiot. Clemson football could have afforded to buy all the remaining helium in amercia. Our expenses for 16-17 were 111,000,000. What kind of idiots do you take us for?

Car dealerships still float balloons every weekend.

You think you put 2 and 2 together or something? Its our liberal administration and students. they seriously dont want to take a chance on a sea turtle eating a balloon.

I’m hoping and praying that I’m right and you’re wrong. But

May 11, 2019, 6:54 AM

sadly, you may be spot on. Sigh.

Can’t they just go up there in the air and collect it?

May 11, 2019, 7:27 AM

Asking for a friend

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jupiter has all the helium we'll ever need

May 11, 2019, 8:34 AM

When space mining is a thing, I reckon that's where we'll get more. Collecting helium from our own atmosphere is too expensive.

May 11, 2019, 9:28 AM

Wow! A global helium shortage is a lame excuse too! I can go to Sams/ Party City and buy dozens of tanks for $20 each. Why do we need it for the super Hydron collider? That’s a waste of helium!

May 11, 2019, 10:00 PM

Helium shortage is a big deal but don’t be fooled by those headlines. Party city isn’t going out of business, at least because of helium any time soon.

This makes Pennywise very unhappy. However, we all still flo***

May 12, 2019, 1:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are y'all, little girls crying about balloons?

May 12, 2019, 8:06 AM

This isn't about a birthday party, its about football.

Who cares? Just run down the hill, kick a $$ and win Nattys!

Let's worry about important stuff like more Dippin Dots, and wearing chrome!

We could always just use hydrogen. It's even lighter

May 12, 2019, 8:15 AM

What could possibly go wrong?

I never cared about the balloons. I understand other people

May 12, 2019, 8:22 AM

did, but I just want to watch football. Personally, I was pretty happy because when they got rid of the balloon launch because i got nothing at all out of it and if doing away with it saves a few animals or preserves some helium for future medical/professional use it's just a win for me.

Are y'all really upset that the balloon launch is gone, or just opposed to change in general and upset that the university perhaps folded to outside pressure?

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic