Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Perfect Baseball Coach?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,455

The Perfect Baseball Coach?

Jun 3, 2019, 9:09 AM

It's interesting looking back a few years to JL's last years how everyone was tired of JL's "coaching style". It had grown stale, he was too intense - had all the players wound too tight, etc. Of course this year there are also many posts criticizing Lee's very different approach. I'm not sure if either one has a better style or not, but I was just wondering what coach (college or MLB) do you recall that had the most ideal coaching style that all other coaches should try to emulate? What qualities did/does that coach have the both JL and ML lack?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Winning the national championship every year

Jun 3, 2019, 9:29 AM

is a quality I want in a Clemson baseball coach. Anything less is settling for mediocrity. Best is the standard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Winning the national championship every year

Jun 3, 2019, 9:41 AM

That particular quality in a coach does tend to cover up most of his other warts for sure! :)

Re: The Perfect Baseball Coach?

Jun 3, 2019, 9:32 AM

You coach according to the talent that is available to you! If you have a dynamic pitching staff you utilize that.if you have a group of power hitters you use that. The same with speed etc.

Your team should always be skilled in the basics of baseball such as base running etc.

Easy to say but not so easy to do during a long season.

Jun 3, 2019, 9:45 AM

Good points... what would you say was Clemson's strength this year? Usually we have a few go-to hitters or a few dominant pitchers, but this year team unfortunately seemed pretty average all the way around.

Jun 3, 2019, 11:34 AM

You pose a good question that I have thought about a lot this year. What was the Tigers strength? Davidson and Byrd were really the only two dependable hitters and they faultered at times. I don’t believe I would have them bat back to back in the lineup but I see what the coach was trying to do. For some reason the Tiger hitters could not put the ball in play at crucial times. The Tigers were among the leaders in homeruns but I suspect they were among the leaders in strikeouts as well. I always thought that Tediosis (sic) was a dependable hitter but he didn’t play as well as he did last year. You’ve got to wonder why players go downhill rather than improve from year to year.

I have posted many times that the good teams keep pressure on the opponent and force them to make plays. With young players eventually someone will make the wrong play and open the door for a big inning. We saw that in yesterday’s game. The ground ball hit to the first baseman resulted as an out at first rather than the lead runner, who scored on the next play. Apparently the runner prevented the throw to second by blocking the baseline. Middle infielders should be taught to open up a throwing lane rather than stand on the base. That is as basic as it gets and the Tigers couldn’t make the right play. Plays like that kill you!

Does anyone know who led the Tigers in runs scored this year. I have no idea but I bet it was one of the homerun hitters.

Things will get better as the talent improves I’m sure.

Jun 3, 2019, 9:56 AM

Recruiting has not been great as we don't have the depth of quality players like let's say two years ago.... It show's this time of year. We have not replaced the talent yet all around.

Tim Corbin?

Jun 3, 2019, 10:01 AM

I don't know if there's anyone perfect out there but we seem to be struggling to develop winning baseball players right now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2019, 11:40 AM

winning important games. Getting within one game of the title matchup in the CWS, only to lose two straight to the gamecocks.....the perfect coach wouldn't do that.

#bigfacts don't remind me about that CWS***

Jun 31, 2014, 8:58 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,455
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic