Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "Little" Country Store
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,587

The "Little" Country Store

Nov 17, 2020, 3:56 PM

Yes, it was a "LTTLE" store, about the size of a one car garage. or even smaller. An old wooden building that had never received a coat of paint. A solid wooden door that had a huge padlock when not open for business. Maybe a shed like roof at the front with a couple of chairs with cowhide seats.

These little stores were scattered all over the rural farming areas of the South before WW2. Many were located where there were cross roads. These stores served the needs of the nearby farm families who did not have time to go into town in a wagon during the weekdays to pick up one or two items. There were no perishable items. Canned goods, tobacco products, flour, sugar, oatmeal and several huge containers of penny candy were the main items. The store was a gathering place for the farmers on a rainy day to discuss the day's news. Otherwise, the store had very few customers throughout the day.

The store was owned by one of the farmers and a family member served as the storekeeper. When a customer arrived at the store they usually had to contact the storekeeper, who was usually in the house, to assist with their purchase. In most cases the store was not a money making operation but it did provide a service for the community.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The "Little" Country Store

Nov 17, 2020, 4:11 PM

Those types of stores have surely gone away, to be replaced by the Dollar General now. Every community in my town had one though - they served neighborhoods and were usually called the variety store or sometimes even grocery store, although that was being generous. We had Little Variety Store, Hyatt Creek Grocery, Fines Creek Store, etc.

No one got rich from running one, but they sure served a need.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Re: The "Little" Country Store

Nov 17, 2020, 6:49 PM

My wife's mother's family had eight children that were raised and lived in their parent's ESSO station in a small Sumter county town called Paxville. It was on the corner of US 15 and 261. My mother-in law would take my wife as a child in the early 60's to visit that store and she and many of her cousins would raid their grandad's candy bins. He would exclaim "I smell me some rats in here eating my candy". They would all have a big laugh about it.....
My mother's people lived in a small town in Fairfield County called Blackstock. Her grandparents were Kennedys and they had a general store that sold everything. I remember going to a reunion in about 1955 and stopping by the store. There on a top shelf were coon skin hats like Davie Crockett wore. I pleaded with my parents for one. I was a happy camper riding back home to Greenwood that sfternoon....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,587
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic