Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Dungeon
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

The Dungeon

Jul 22, 2019, 4:49 PM

The "Dungeon" was our high school dressing room back in the late 1930's. I don't remember for certain the how and when it came about but this is my recollection to the best of my knowledge.

The first dressing room for the football team was the shop area of the FFA and Home Economics building. This was not an ideal location and there was not a permanent location for the uniforms and equipment. Apparently, the coach at that time decided that some provision should be made for a dressing room dedicated to the boys athletic program.

The high school building was a typical two story school building of that era. On the first floor was the Principal's office, several class rooms and an auditorium and stage. The second floor was all class rooms. The stage was toward the back of the building and because it was elevated, there was ample height to construct a room below. Being primarily an agricultural economy and the depression adding to the financial situation, money was scarce. Not to be denied, players and volunteers went to work. A door had to be installed and the area under the stage was filled with dirt. Men and boys, with shovels and wheel borrows, removed the enough dirt to clear out enough space for a room.

The back of the room was nor closed it, it remained a wall of dirt. Walls were constructed along the two sides and the front of the room. A concrete floor was poured and one shower head installed. The shower was in the open with the concrete sloped to allow water to flow to the drain. 2" X 10" boards were nailed to the side walls and 20 penny nails driven partially into those boards to serve as hangars for our uniforms and equipment.

In the center of the room hung one drop cord with a light fixture for a 50 watt bulb. There were no windows in the room and the 50 watt bulb did not provide much light. The open shower was not an ideal situation because the water would splash over a large area. The town had no sewer system and I don't remember if the water ran into a septic tack or there was an open discharge some distance away.

The room always had a moldy odor and it was not a place where we wanted to linger. At the end of the football season, all of our football uniforms and equipment were stored in this room. One can only imagine the condition of leather shoes and helmets after being in that environment for several months.

The football field was about 400 - 500 yards from the dressing room. We had to run (not walk) to and from the dressing room to the field. The trip to the field was not hard because we were fresh and the slight downhill slope made it easier. After practice, that slight uphill slope seemed like we were climbing a steep mountain.

Facilities at most of our opponents schools were nothing to brag about but we didn't have to worry, there were no facilities for their opponents. On our away games we had to dress in our dressing room and ride the bus ready to hit the field. Our opponents for our home games had to arrive fully dressed.

The facilities, uniforms, equipment and the game itself was totally different in the 1930's. We had nothing to compare it to so we just accepted what we had and had a heck of a lot of fun.

I have a spot on my left leg where I received a cleat I injury in 1938. Around that spot I have developed a rough area. There is no pain, it just feels like fish scales when I rub it. Went for my checkup today and the doctor prescribed a cream to soften those fish scales. By the way, got a good report. (I think) --- body of a 115 year old and mind of a 5 year old.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Dungeon

Jul 22, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quoting Jimmy Buffett...
"Growing older but not up"
Great Story as usual Joe.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Thanks for taking the time to post your stories Mr. Joe!

Jul 22, 2019, 5:02 PM

I really enjoy reading them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love the doctors report.

Jul 22, 2019, 6:13 PM

Last time I had my physical, it was similar. I told the doc I didn't feel a day over 90. That would be great, except for the fact that I am only 64.

You are only as old as you feel, though. Heard a story about an 80 year old rich guy who married a 26 year old bride. On the wedding night, she watched as he put a clothespin on his nose, and earplugs in his ears. When she asked why, he told her "I can't stand to smell rubber burning or hear women screaming!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 6:54 PM

Awesome story ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 7:22 PM

My doctor told me that I was on the way to 100. I said you just say that because I turned 90. He says no and asked to what do you attribute your active life style, I don’t have a single patient your age who is as active as you. Told him probably growing up on a farm, building a good muscle structure and keeping in relatively good shape. He replied that had a lot to do with it.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 7:25 PM

Joe21®

May I ask, what school?

Jul 22, 2019, 7:27 PM

An elderly couple in their 90’s went to see their attorney and said they wanted a divorce. The lawyer said my goodness why after all these years. They said we just decided to wait until all the kids had died.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 8:29 PM

in 1962 the Tigers dressing room was just a little better!

Jul 22, 2019, 8:48 PM

Enjoyable stuff. I too grew up in a rural community and while it was decades later, we were an afterthought for Sumter County, and had the most minimal of gear and facilities. Weight room by standards even back then was abysmal and yet we made do. I set of pants and helmet, 1 homeJersey, one white away. Now I see these kids with 4 or more uniform combos in HS, and these Taj Mahal High school stadiums. They are great, but I guarantee their memories are not any better. They didn't have Archie Reese as a DC yelling at us that "It dosnt matter if the sorry so and so's on offense dont score..we best not give up points" Course me being me.."Coach, u know we all play offense too right?" Lol..Laps monday... Still, I digress.. we all sweated, webleed, heck, many cried, especially after that last game, win or loss, knowing it was the last time we would play together. Dang Joe.. ya have me feeling nostalgic. Ummmm Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome story!

Jul 22, 2019, 10:11 PM

Love the details!

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic