Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Chicken Curse
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

The Chicken Curse

Mar 10, 2017, 3:37 PM

During my years at Clemson-1947-51- the USC game was played at State Fair every year. A huge pep rally was held early that week. A Clemson alumnus from FL came up for the pep rally and made a really big deal in 'preaching' the funeral of the gamecock. His sermon always included 'The Chicken Curse'. Any of you that were here then will remember 'Gator' Farr.
P.S. Clemson was all military in those days-no girls enrolled, otherwise I would have probably stretched things out by several years. Pardon all the reminiscing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for the memories, GT!

Mar 10, 2017, 3:44 PM

give us more ...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: The Chicken Curse

Mar 10, 2017, 3:47 PM

Yes, please give more, and thanks for sharing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's never a need to ask for pardon,

Mar 10, 2017, 3:56 PM

when chicken cursing is involved!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2017, 4:20 PM

Yes GT, I remember "Gator" Farr and all the great pep rallies, guarding the Campus, and the trips to Cootumbia.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Dad (84 yrs old) still chuckles about Gator Farr !***

Mar 10, 2017, 4:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'47-'51? By my calculations that makes you about 35 years

Mar 10, 2017, 5:04 PM

younger than hartins®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: '47-'51? By my calculations that makes you about 35 years

Mar 11, 2017, 11:40 AM

Dang, Greatiger, you're pushing me. I'm pushing 96. Hope you have many, many more years and can celebrate lots of Tiger national championships that all of us can relish. I didn't arrive in Clemson until 1955 (not as a student) and remember "Gator" Farr. Please honor us with more stories from "the old days". I post stories on a coup[le of other boards but my stories are about WW2 and the Korean War.

Greatiger and I, and possibly others, have the high age level covered. Who are the youngest?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: '47-'51? By my calculations that makes you about 35 years

Mar 11, 2017, 1:04 PM [ in reply to '47-'51? By my calculations that makes you about 35 years ]

plus about 50

Re: Gater Farr was still doing the gamecock funeral when I

Mar 10, 2017, 5:22 PM

was there in the early 1960s. There was also the tradition for all the rats to rush the flagpole and get paint under their fingernails after each pep rally. Hundreds of rats pushing each other around a greased flagpole was interesting. You had to show your hall Momma the paint to avoid getting your head shaved again. If you climbed the flagpole and placed your rat hat on top, you were allowed a dispensation from the requirement to wear the hat anytime you were not in your room. Otherwise, you had to wear the hat until the S.C game. A win eliminated the requirement to wear the hat. A loss resulted in having to wear it until Christmas.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gater Farr was still doing the gamecock funeral when I

Mar 11, 2017, 7:54 AM

Dang - I just missed that tradition by a few years, as I came to CLEMSON in '68. I would have loved the
'funeral'.

As for the Rat Hat, I preferred to wear mine cuz head not pretty when shaved. :)

You may have known my Dad

Mar 10, 2017, 5:47 PM

Gene Carson. He played football for the Tigers '46 - '49. Was on the undefeated Tiger team in '48. Played at Spartanburg High School and played in the Shrine Bowl for the SC team. Coach Howard called him "sunset" Carson - after a famous cowboy movie star of the time.

Mar 10, 2017, 5:51 PM

I only remember being there in person one time when he came back later in life to do the sermon, but as I recall from hearing stories of back in the day, he text the "text" of his sermon from the Sears and Roebuck Catalog Womens Underwear section.

Re: My Dad was there

Mar 10, 2017, 6:48 PM

and .graduated '51. Thanks for sharing that!

Re: Mr. GREATIGER, please feel free to share more of

Mar 11, 2017, 12:23 AM

your stories.

I love the stories. One reason I am here on TNet....more please***

Mar 11, 2017, 5:25 AM

Mar 11, 2017, 6:30 AM

My dad was a 51 grad too.

My Dad was a '51 grad, too. More stories please. How about

Mar 11, 2017, 7:40 AM

the "stolen" tank that did major damage to the Preident's car and all seniors had to pay $5 to replace it ????

I swear I think my Dad was in on that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic