Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
First Trip to Ga Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

First Trip to Ga Tech

Sep 17, 2018, 12:09 PM

Hi T-net - its been a while. Go Tigers!

My son and I are looking to make a first trip to Atlanta for the Tech game Saturday.

Any advice? Do's or Dont's.?

Don't have tickets yet. Heard that maybe Tech fans are dumping theirs. Would you be cool buying tickets on the street IE do you think they will be available?

Thoughts on parking?

Looking to leave Columbia early and hit the Varisty then tour the campus.

Thanks in advance! Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget to wear your orange

Sep 17, 2018, 12:18 PM

kevlar vest.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Here we go with this again...

Sep 17, 2018, 12:26 PM

As is Charlotte is all sunshine and rainbows.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1) I wasn't comparing ATL to CLT

Sep 17, 2018, 12:33 PM

2) Want to compare the murder rate and violent crimes rate between ATL and CLT? Hint: it's not even close

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

1) I can count too

Sep 17, 2018, 1:01 PM

2) ATL isn't Beruit in the 80's. You don't need a Kevlar vest. SMH...

3) I didn't know the diff from Charlotte to ATL was SOOOO vast the difference is needing a Kevlar vest in one and not the other. Get outta here with that nonsense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1) Congrats! Maybe you want one of those participation

Sep 17, 2018, 1:21 PM

trophies you favor so much

2) Yes you do

3) Now you know

A. No idea where that came from...

Sep 17, 2018, 1:36 PM

II. I don't like participation trophies.

3. You have the confuse.

The Charlotte envy of Atlanta

Sep 17, 2018, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Here we go with this again... ]

is akin to the Coots' envy of Clemson. They think they are great, but they are frustrated because they are, and always will be, overshadowed by something so much greater.

P.S. Go Falcons!

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I travel to Atlanta for work at least once a month

Sep 17, 2018, 1:23 PM

sometimes 2 or 3 times. The best part about that is when I finally get to leave and head back to Charlotte. You know, where there's less crime, less traffic and you don't need to wear a kevlar vest every time you leave the house.

I didn't know you worked at the federal prison.

Sep 17, 2018, 1:41 PM

Prison guard?

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Actually a federal prison would be a good comparison

Sep 17, 2018, 1:47 PM

to Atlanta. Well done Judge!

parking is the biggest hasstle. .

Sep 17, 2018, 12:23 PM

gt doesn't allow scalping within a couple hundred meters of the stadium so the scalpers ate mixed with the actual ticket holders.

personally I wouldn't buy a piece of bubble gum from anyone unless they were sporting GT clothing. ...more than a hat.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Bring your own soda bottle cap.***

Sep 17, 2018, 12:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Bring your own soda bottle cap.***

Sep 17, 2018, 9:39 PM

This is a good point! It's been a while since we've been to Dodd, so I don't remember bottle caps being a problem there, but I did make a note after the Sugar Bowl to take Dasani caps into any stadium in SEC territory from now on.

Re: First Trip to Ga Tech

Sep 17, 2018, 12:31 PM

I think it’s a good idea to park outside of downtown at one of the Marta lots and ride the train to the stadium. I always do this for games in the big stadium but I’m sure the train goes near campus

Sep 17, 2018, 12:34 PM

MARTA has a station at North Ave. that is 1 block from the Varisty. I'm taking MARTA in to avoid the hassle of traffic and parking.

Sep 17, 2018, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: First Trip to Ga Tech ]

Thank you very much!

I'll give it a go...

Sep 17, 2018, 12:55 PM

Do's...

- Hit the varsity for a dog and Orange Freeze. But go earlier than later. I wouldn't go late at night, but that's me.

- There is a good parking deck at 68 5th St NE Garage. You should be able to park there for a reasonable price.

- Right next to that parking deck is Cypress Street Pint and Plate. Great Food! Great Service and great location.

- If you're looking to tailgate, there isn't much space, but there is some space near the Varsity and some green space on 5th Street bridge where is crosses over the connector (75/85).

If you have time...

- Go see Ponce City Market (about 2 miles east of GT Campus on Ponce). Once a Sears Roebuck Store & Warehouse built in 1925, this building is huge and underwent a huge transformation to create tons of great places to eat and shop. My favorite is the H&F Burger!!

- Walk The Beltline, towards Inman Park and Krog St Market. Fred's Meat and Bread is another go to spot for Burgers and Steak and Cheese. It's at Krog Street but there is also one of 5th Street right next to Ga Tech Campus. Also on the way is a great outdoor bar/food area called Ladybird Grove and mess Hall.

- If you want to get around midtown quick, but not by foot or car, download the Bird Scooter or Lime Scooter app. They are Electric Scooters that look like the old razor scooters. But these things are pretty quick so be careful on the sidewalk.

Other attractions if you have time.

- College Football Hall of Fame
- The Aquarium
- World of Coca-Cola

Re: I'll give it a go...

Sep 17, 2018, 1:11 PM

As an Atlanta resident I concur. I live 2 blocks from the stadium and absolutely love it. It is a big city so use common sense but you shouldn’t have a problem.

I second this.

Sep 17, 2018, 1:16 PM

I live in Atlanta as well, it's a great city. Like any big city, use common sense and don't stray too far off the beaten path. You'll be absolutely fine in Midtown.

Have fun, and go Tigers!

can I tailgate in your front yard?***

Sep 17, 2018, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: I'll give it a go... ]

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

This^^^***

Sep 17, 2018, 1:34 PM [ in reply to I'll give it a go... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Used to live in Decatur. Did not know the Sears Building

Sep 17, 2018, 2:00 PM [ in reply to I'll give it a go... ]

was now shopping and restaurants. I think it was City Hall East when I was there. You're right; that is one ginormous building.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll give it a go...

Sep 17, 2018, 3:50 PM [ in reply to I'll give it a go... ]

Awesome! Thanks!

How old is your son?

Sep 17, 2018, 12:56 PM

If he's over 21, I'd tell you to skip The Varsity and go to The Vortex instead.

Yeah, the Varsity is a historical landmark and all that but the food is nothing to write home about

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 12:58 PM

I have been to GT the last 5 times in Atlanta.
Bought my tickets on the streets with no problems.
But you do need to be careful because there will be fakes out there.
More than likely you can buy from the stadium on Game day .
Get there early and park at the Varsity.

Sep 17, 2018, 1:56 PM

What's the face value on tickets for the game?

MT

Sep 17, 2018, 9:47 PM

I'm seeing $90 on message boards, FWIW.

Sep 17, 2018, 1:51 PM

There are a lot of paid parking areas within a block or so of the Varsity. Make sure to have your favorite antacid, and note where the restrooms are once you're in the stadium. Anyway parking on that side of the Connector will allow you to walk across the scenic North Ave Bridge towards the stadium. You should find a few scalpers here but as you get closer, probably some Tech fans selling tickets, recommended. The good thing about the tech stadium, once you're in you can go anywhere. Its always a treat to sit in the student section, so you can hear multiple versions of those few students who know American football, try to explain what just happened to the rest. good luck, see you there.

Go Tigers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic