Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The CFP is (brainstorming, btw)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,281

The CFP is (brainstorming, btw)

Dec 11, 2018, 10:21 AM

Overall, a pending broken product, insofar as in the best interests of college football. Is it an improvement over the BCS...absolutely. That said all decisions are firmly anchored in preseason perceptions, rather than proving, thus bias exists. If you hear and see it enough, it's true. Polls/media brainwash the CFP committee to varying degrees.

Like any good 'company', if employees aren't engaged, the organization suffers. College football will quickly suffer the same fate if opportunities to share in the CFP tournament isn't expanded. Virtually all of us laugh at the conference championship games...so, stop laughing and use that weekend for playoff games.

The bowl season is being rendered valueless because the CFP tournament takes precedent. Having more bowl sites in the CFP mix can help that. Expanding to 8 teams at least makes 7 of the 40 bowls more relevant. Furthermore, if the first round is on the current conference championship weekend, the four losers can go to another bowl, which is only strengthening the bowl field.

If you want to move outside the box, consider aligning some G5 teams with a local P5 conference; i.e., regionally. Relegate (P5)/promote (G5) to the respective conferences and simply swap out their schedules, to minimize chaos the following season. Or use several bowls for relegation/promotion purposes. For all the talk, if a G5 can't beat a weak P5, well, they had their chance and blew it. For certain though, the game meant something to the participants...and fans.

If nothing's done, it won't be long before there's only a couple dozen programs that can even afford to play P5 ball and let alone truly have a shot at winning. When that happens, we're really just seeing the 'minor league' of the NFL, because the top players will ONLY go to those programs. Is that healthy?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The CFP is (brainstorming, btw)

Dec 11, 2018, 10:34 AM

Another quick fix for something that's not broken.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 11:46 AM

What quick fix do you perceive? I was brainstorming...and made that abundantly clear in my post. Abundantly.

Consider this, the first game Clemson loses because a key player is out with an injury, say early in the season, and it keeps them from winning the division, even after running roughshod over their schedule, how will everyone feel? Even worse, suppose the Atlantic winner gets drilled in their only loss...and loses an OOC game? Hmmm? Cause it's gonna happen...same as it did for Auburn last year. They win without all the injuries and there's no UGA in the playoffs.

Again...the post was to generate conversation...making it clear I don't know all the ramifications. That said, I can see a very beloved sport dying...suggest everyone else notice the same. If you're not evolving...you're dying. No one ever got ahead feeding on inertia. No one.

Dec 11, 2018, 10:54 AM

if conference winners get a bid, where is the incentive to play a decent out of conference schedule? thats how you get a home schedule where we play SC and 2 cupcakes. im not buying season tix for that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 11:08 AM

The power 5 schools should shorten their conference schedules to 6 games, and 4 games have to be played against other P5 teams. Teams could schedule a non power 5 to open the season but this would be an exhibition and not count.

Award conference winners based on OVERALL record like the NFL does its division winners, then seed the playoffs based on record with conference winners getting in automatically and wild cards determined by record. You could do the P5 champs and 3 at large teams.

This would reward the conference champions while keeping the OOC schedule meaningful.

Easy

Dec 11, 2018, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: The CFP is (brainstorming, btw) ]

First round of the playoffs is at the home stadium of the higher seeded teams.

Seeding done by committee based on many factors, including SOS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 11:52 AM

Some good points.
Love the relegation idea - goodbye Wake, hello UCF.

Regarding your comment...,

“If nothing's done, it won't be long before there's only a couple dozen programs that can even afford to play P5 ball and let alone truly have a shot at winning. When that happens, we're really just seeing the 'minor league' of the NFL, because the top players will ONLY go to those programs. Is that healthy? “

That already exists today. I haven’t done the research, but if you go back 30 years, I doubt there are more than a dozen different teams that have won the NC.

that's true, but

Dec 11, 2018, 12:10 PM

With the enormous amount of money, it's going to tighten up even more, if that's possible. The G5 hears 'just schedule games', but it's not that simple. It takes two to tango, so unless there's process that mandates a G5-P5 pairing, they won't get a shot. It's not the '70's and Bobby Bowden taking on any and all who would play him. Nope, the guys with golden eggs aren't gonna risk their Faberge's! The David v Goliath is what attracts eyeballs...and that vehicle is evaporating, in my view.

I'd hate to see Wake, Kansas, Colorado, Illini get relegated, but some skin has to be put at risk. Heck, it still boggles the mind how Clemson can play at a Duke or Wake and not be losing money. How does tOSU go to Rutgers...USC to Oregon State....places that scarcely get 30-40K fans, if that? How long will Texas/OU, Bama/UF, Clemson/FSU, tOSU/UM want to make the $$ for their conference mates who'll likely never return the same in kind?

I saw sub-Division playoffs mentioned and, perhaps, that's the route. Maybe there are, oh, forty teams nationwide, that are grouped regionally. They're the CFP pool of four. The bottom one or two in each division get relegated to their original conference and replaced by the winner/runner up, each season. Some G5 winners/runnerup moves into the P5 conference they're 'regionalized' with. Granted, there are logistics issues and most definitely future schedules taking hits, yet, if schools are going to be 'All In' on trying prove their mettle, there has to be a path...and programs have to commit. Again...fodder for debate...nothing more.

Dec 11, 2018, 1:55 PM

some good arguments all around. Personally I believe in the 4 teams format. The conference championships serve as a quasi defacto 1st round.

There is no way G5 teams could compete year in year out in a P5 conference. The difference in money is too great.

A 16 team playoff works at the other divisions due to a lack of bowl games. The only game set before the season starts is the championship game, which is bid on a couple years in advance. The other playoff games are bid on week to week. The team ranked 16 can host the team ranked 1, based on the bid. The bid is based on how much support the alums and local businesses give.

The ncaa cares more about the $$s than the equity. When Marshall had their outstanding teams, they hosted every round nearly every year. The salty coach at Delaware complained it was the Marshall Invitational.

Also, it's not easy on the fans. It's an extra 4 games, time travel, tickets, etc. Plus your asking young men to extend their season. It's a grind.

The Salty coach at Delaware

Dec 11, 2018, 2:10 PM

Salty? That wasn't me! ;)

Re: The Salty coach at Delaware

Dec 11, 2018, 7:15 PM

Actually I wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification. ; )

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,281
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic