Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Biggest upset in SPORTS history, regardless of sport?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

Biggest upset in SPORTS history, regardless of sport?

Sep 1, 2020, 11:06 AM

Shorty B reminded us of the App State college football win over the Michigan Stripeless Badgers.

But for pure shock value, I submit a couple other MAJOR upsets as being bigger.

My No. 1: Buster Douglas knocks out Iron Mike Tyson. I would bet Douglas's own MAMA wouldn't have given him a Snowball's Chance in H-ell of winning that fight, much less via clear KO.

No. 2 Miracle on Ice, USA defeats the Russkies at Lake Placid 1980. The USA Team had been embarrassed by the Fighting Vodka Snorters just a short while before the Olympic Games began. Maybe there is something to this playing hard for your Country at the Olympics stuff.

What are your highest rated two upsets?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those are good. Didn't one involve Navy?***

Sep 1, 2020, 11:17 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And/or Citadel?***

Sep 1, 2020, 12:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Twice!***

Sep 1, 2020, 3:12 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And/or Citadel?***

Sep 1, 2020, 3:33 PM [ in reply to And/or Citadel?*** ]

Eh. Neither of those games upset me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Biggest upset in SPORTS history, regardless of sport?

Sep 1, 2020, 11:22 AM

Milan beats Muncie Central. Bobby Plump FTW!

Sep 1, 2020, 11:24 AM

your two are tough to beat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2020, 11:26 AM

Buster Douglas

I was going to say Miracle on ice

Sep 1, 2020, 11:27 AM

I’m not a big hockey fan but that one was legendary

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was going to say Miracle on ice

Sep 1, 2020, 11:42 AM

Yes, I think they played the Russians a few weeks before the Olympics and got blown out. To the US credit beating Russia they still had to focus and beat Finland for the Gold. The were able to do that and win it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, a lot of people tend to forget that the Russia game was

Sep 1, 2020, 11:47 AM

a semifinal game. Would have REALLY been a bummer if the Lads had not been able to regain focus in time to win the all-important next one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed--the Miracle on Ice***

Sep 1, 2020, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: I was going to say Miracle on ice ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Sep 1, 2020, 11:28 AM

Exhibit A: Larry Shyatt era Clemson basketball which routinely dribbled off our own feet and had lost eight games in a row beat #1 UNC who had won 18 in a row.

Exhibit B: X-wing v Death Star

Bah, Death Star was grossly overrated. In the final analysis,

Sep 1, 2020, 11:50 AM

it literally blew it out its ar$e. :)

(Weak spot was an exhaust vent.)

If these personal attacks continue, you may be visited by a

Sep 1, 2020, 11:29 AM

large gentleman carrying a pipe and seeking to do damage to your hand.

Your good one.

Anyway, I'd say the Miracle on Ice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Personal attack? I am perturbed you took it that whey.

Sep 1, 2020, 11:53 AM

There is a vertically challenged Rassler on WWE right now called Shorty G, who is making a dayumed fine living. I thought you might look up to him. :)

Sep 1, 2020, 11:31 AM

The olympic games where they replayed the last few second 3 times so the Russian could win the hoops gold medal. To their credit the US did not accept the silver medals.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chaminade over Virginia in basketball***

UMBC?***

Sep 1, 2020, 11:47 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

That one was considered a huge upset at the time, but, going

Sep 1, 2020, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Chaminade over Virginia in basketball*** ]

forward, Chaminade turned out to be a very good BB program.

Richmond spiders over South Carolina men’s BB?

Sep 1, 2020, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Chaminade over Virginia in basketball*** ]

That was a good one

Coots beating Coastal Carolina

Not so much a single game feat but.....

Sep 1, 2020, 11:32 AM

Leicester City winning the PL title has to rank up there as one of the most improbable sports achievements in recent memory. They had 5,000 to 1 odds when the season started.

Sep 1, 2020, 11:45 AM

Maybe Bob Knight throwing a chair across the floor at Ind. He was pretty upset

Old Maryland coach Lefty Drizzle did the same thing on more

Sep 1, 2020, 12:00 PM

than one occasion. :)

Re: Old Maryland coach Lefty Drizzle did the same thing on more

Sep 1, 2020, 12:46 PM

From what I remember, Lefty used to try to put the hex on the opposing players. I liked Lefty and think he got a raw deal on the whole Bias situation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2020, 11:53 AM

I think the 2 you noted are the biggest. John Daly winning the PGA out of nowhere was pretty big, too.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's easy, Rulon Gardner Greco-Roman wrestling

Sep 1, 2020, 11:56 AM

he beat Aleksandr Karelin who hadn't lost a match in 13 years. He hadn't allowed a point scored in six years. He had nine World gold medals, and was looking to capture his fourth Olympic Gold.

https://news.theopenmat.com/international-wrestling/upset-century-rulon-beat-karelin/58179

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

That one would have to rate highly, just from sheer

Sep 1, 2020, 12:01 PM

improbability.

Rocky over Ivan Drago.

Sep 1, 2020, 11:59 AM

Or for a total cinderella story...Coastal winning the CWS, in their final event as a Big South member.

Re: Rocky over Ivan Drago.

Sep 1, 2020, 12:03 PM

"He is like a p!ss of Iron." (Had to get the accent right, you know.) :)

What were Clemson's odds in 1981? Were they even predicted

Sep 1, 2020, 12:00 PM

to win the ACC or even ranked?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were unranked in the preseason. Made the Coaches Poll

Sep 1, 2020, 12:12 PM

in Week Two, and the AP Poll in Week Three.

Had the CFP existed back then, Clemson vs Nebraska would have been one semifinal, and Georgia vs Alabama would have been the other. Very possible we would have had a rematch with the Dawgs for the Natty.

Re: What were Clemson's odds in 1981? Were they even predicted

Sep 1, 2020, 12:18 PM [ in reply to What were Clemson's odds in 1981? Were they even predicted ]

Clemson was unranked in the preseason polls. Everyone kept losing. Clemson kept winning all the way to the championship. I think Michigan was #1 preseason but in their usual manner got upset early (maybe the first game).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: What were Clemson's odds in 1981? Were they even predicted

Sep 1, 2020, 12:49 PM [ in reply to What were Clemson's odds in 1981? Were they even predicted ]

NOBODY gave Clemson a chance in hail to beat Nebraska back then. That was when Osborne was their coach and they were a very strong team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville tiger beats obesity..

Sep 1, 2020, 12:09 PM

Would be epic...

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Sep 1, 2020, 12:11 PM

In 1981 Ga Tech went 1-10. Their only win? Against #2 Alabama in the opener.

Not a 1-off (which made it even more unlikely)

Sep 1, 2020, 12:15 PM

but Leicester City winning the Premier League a few years ago is right up there with anything. They did it over the course of a 38 game season.

Edit: I see this was already mentioned

Sep 1, 2020, 12:29 PM

Man O' War losing to the aptly named, Upset. Finished his racing career at 20-1.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2020, 12:36 PM

Villanova over Georgetown in NCAAT NC.
Appy over Michigan in football
Jets over Colts in Super Bowl
NCSU over Houston in NCAAT NC....were huge upsets, but the answer is:

Miracle on Ice.

Sep 1, 2020, 12:36 PM

I am not a boxing fan, but your #2 is a GREAT pick! I remember everyone rushing home from church to watch the match.

BTW, hope your hand is doing better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Sep 1, 2020, 12:44 PM

Miracle on Ice would have to take the cake for me.

2018 Natty - Tigers dismantling of Alabama is certainly up there as well.

+1s for your Shorty B reference . . .

Sep 1, 2020, 12:46 PM

And GeeVille's potential win over Obessity . . .

And especially Lakedude's reference to the Navy Victory over the coots . . . All were chuckle worthy!!!

Thanks for the smiles!!!

Miracle on Ice gets my vote.

I still enjoy Boise State over Oklahoma***

Sep 1, 2020, 1:09 PM

Broadway Joe and The Jets

Sep 1, 2020, 1:11 PM

beating Colts in The Super Bowl.

Our great nephew, Trevor Blayne, winning the

Sep 1, 2020, 1:23 PM

Daytona 500 in his first major NASCAR race the weekend he turned 21 years old.

Bayne, not Blayne

Sep 1, 2020, 1:35 PM

Sep 1, 2020, 2:01 PM

Coastal winning CWS is a good one. I was thinking 1) NCSt men's basketball championship with Jimmy V running all around the court and, deep cut here, 2) Alan Kulwicki winning NASCAR Winston Cup in 1992 over Bill Elliot and Davey Allison (not to mention the other perennial favorites like Earnhardt and Rusty who got blanked that year.)

Great picks***

Sep 1, 2020, 4:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kulwicki, that was back when Nascar still allowed drivers to

Sep 1, 2020, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Biggest upset in SPORTS history, regardless of sport? ]

have personalities.

Polish Victory Lap!

Sep 1, 2020, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Biggest upset in SPORTS history, regardless of sport? ]

T birds beat the Outlaws in roller derby.

1980 US Hockey Defeating Finland and USSR***

Sep 1, 2020, 4:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mercer stunned Duke in NCAA tournament first round

Sep 1, 2020, 4:54 PM

????????

Does scamming rate? Me walking out of Glendale with a

Sep 1, 2020, 8:41 PM

pocket full of Benjamins with a beard and a wig...

Details deferred.... After all , it WAS '76.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Update: The Miracle on Ice has been mentioned many more

Sep 1, 2020, 8:53 PM

times than any other single event. Thanks for the enthusiastic replies!

It’s hard to top Buster Douglas over Mike Tyson.

Sep 1, 2020, 8:56 PM

Tyson was boxing on an unreal level at the time. Some of his fights then ended in TKOs in the first round. Douglas beating him was a huge upset.

In terms of team sports, #16 seed University of Maryland, Baltimore County over #1 seed Virginia in the first round in 2018 was probably the biggest upset ever. Not only was UVA considered a favorite to win it all that year, but UMBC wasn’t even a favorite to win their conference. They won their conference tournament on a buzzer beater to make the NCAA Tournament. It was only their second appearance in the Big Dance in their history, and first time winning a game there.

Not only did they beat UVA, but they won by 20! And as we all know, it was the first time a 16 seed beat a 1 seed.

I can’t think of a bigger upset in sports history.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The App St win wasn't as big an upset as some made it.

Sep 1, 2020, 9:22 PM

Michigan was ranked something like 5th, but were very much overrated!

Miracle on Ice has to be up there.

UVA losing to 16 seed, has to be up there.

As far as being truly unbelievable, Boston Red Sox coming back to beat Yankees in 2004 ALCS, after being down 3 games to zero, and down three runs late in game four, to win it in seven. That was unbelievable!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 6:34 AM

Texas Western over Kentucky. NCAA basketball title.

Sep 2, 2020, 7:24 AM

Hands down Miracle on Ice. Collection of college hockey players that have never played together before against a USSR team that had played together for over 15 years and had won the bronze in 1960 and the gold in 64, 68, 72, 76, 84 and 88 with the silver in 1980. That soviet team beat the US NHL all-star team 7-2 in 1980 prior to the Olympics. Herb Brooks, the head coach at the U of MN was the US coach.

Hardest championship to win in all of sports ?? Hands down is having a horse win the triple crown. The triple crown is only for 3 year old thoroughbreds (only one shot at it). three races in 5 weeks in 3 different states at longer distances than they have ever ran in thier life. One shot at it.... statistically, that is harder to win than the grand slam in golf in the same year. Also, racehorses are injected with lasix the morning of a race to dehydrate them and thicken their blood so they don't burst capillaries in their lungs and start bleeding b/c they run so hard. But in NY (where the Belmont stakes is ran), using lasix is illegal. So besdies the 1.5 mile race at belmont (the longest race they will ever run in their life), they are doing without a major performance enhancing drug they normally are used to using.

Runner-up for biggest upset.... anytime the coots beat someone on the gridiron.

Message was edited by: bobbyb99®

Message was edited by: bobbyb99®

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2020, 7:48 AM

2004 Las Vegas International Dodgeball Open Championships. The Average Joes's Gymnasium defeated White Goodmans's Globo Gym in sudden death.

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic