Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NBC reporting that it is going to take 10 years to get folks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

NBC reporting that it is going to take 10 years to get folks

Dec 31, 2020, 6:11 AM

vaccinated. These guys are smart.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/current-rate-it-ll-be-10-years-americans-adequately-vaccinated-n1252486

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NBC reporting that it is going to take 10 years to get folks

Dec 31, 2020, 6:14 AM

At this rate. True. Especially considering that we supposedly may need around 80% of the population vaccinated to gain herd immunity. That actually may never happen. We don't know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2020, 7:39 AM

What no one wants to talk about is most experts think that in reality between 20 and 25% of people in the country have already been exposed to the virus. Assuming they have immunity, we only need about half the country to get vaccinated to get to herd immunity at this point. Of course, that number will go down each day as others get the virus. The silver lining of people getting corona is it gets us closer to herd immunity.

Dec 31, 2020, 9:02 AM

Yes, but their immunity doesn't last forever.

Dec 31, 2020, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: NBC reporting that it is going to take 10 years to get folks ]

O

There are a couple of gaps in your position.

First, you make an assumption that people exposed to corona develop immunity. I am afraid that the jury is still out on this.

Secondly, If they DO develop immunity, how would they know ? If they were asymptomatic some of them might take the vaccine not knowing that they already had immunity. So there's a number of doses going to people who don't need it.

So, you perspective may be accurate - but it may not. I am hoping that you are, but only time will tell.

I don't think the jury is all the way out on that...

Dec 31, 2020, 10:58 AM

my daughter has been told that she had 3 months of no worries after recovery, that was extended to 4, then 5 and then 6. There is little evidence of reinfection at this point.

My daughter got it while she was still being very cautious about it and since they told her not to worry about it she's running all over the place hanging out with people, etc. She got out of quarantine right before halloween and partied all halloween week in Charleston with other COC students. I'm pretty sure if she was going to get reinfected it would have happened already.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think the jury is all the way out on that...

Dec 31, 2020, 12:22 PM

My son's had it twice, about six months apart.

First time almost put him in the hospital. Second time he crushed it in about 3 days and got him barely a sniffle...so it appears one's immune system does remember.

But re-infection is indeed happening. Seen it with my own eyes.

Re: I don't think the jury is all the way out on that...

Dec 31, 2020, 1:25 PM [ in reply to I don't think the jury is all the way out on that... ]

Ford and Q

I am glad that your loved ones are OK.

But this seemed to good an example of the fallacy of drawing conclusions from anecdotes to pass up.

I know both of y'all appreciate the value of substantial, representative data in the drawing of conclusions and the making of public policy.

Why not one is demanding antibody testing before spending...

Dec 31, 2020, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: NBC reporting that it is going to take 10 years to get folks ]

a dose of vaccine on someone who doesn't need it is confusing. I'm aware that no one has discovered how long antibodies work to fight off the virus but I'll point out that we have no idea how long the vaccine works either. Why are we not looking into these two questions?

Reason has left the building. This pandemic has turned into a fiasco has become nothing but a a manipulation of emotions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why not one is demanding antibody testing before spending...

Dec 31, 2020, 12:12 PM

This pandemic has turned into a fiasco has become nothing but a a manipulation of emotions.

Tell that to the millions of Americans who've lost friends and/or loved ones.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The traditional number was 50-70%.

Dec 31, 2020, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: NBC reporting that it is going to take 10 years to get folks ]

We discussed this months ago. With reports that the number of asymptomatic cases unreported being 10 times the number of reported cases herd immunity might be reached long before the 70% number is realized.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a pretty inaccurate reading of what they said.

Dec 31, 2020, 7:54 AM

I suspect it's rather intentional.

What do you think would happen if the “rate” is increased?***

Dec 31, 2020, 8:49 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The rate will almost definitely increase. It must.***

Dec 31, 2020, 9:00 AM

Re: That's a pretty inaccurate reading of what they said.

Dec 31, 2020, 11:05 AM [ in reply to That's a pretty inaccurate reading of what they said. ]

This brings up a topic I have addressed before - the new media game of telephone.

Step one: A conscientious researcher does a study and accurately reports the data.

Step two: A reporter, seeing a story, pulls out the most eye-catching talking points and then connects the dots to better sell the story - leaving out all caveats and nuance.

Step three: An editor writes a hyperbolic headline to gain more readers or clicks.

Step four: Many people read the headline only and jump to their own conclusions without reading the news article, much less the underlying research paper.

Step five: These people have their bias confirmed by an actual source. Many of them will not change their minds even if they are confronted with contradictory facts and data.

Step six: These people tweet or retweet this erroneous conclusions to thousands of others who will be sure that they KNOW something for a fact. They too will be unswayed by accurate evidence.

etc etc etc

I stopped reading at "NBC News analysis"

Dec 31, 2020, 8:59 AM

NBC has done nothing but scare reporting for all of 2020. Oh, except for hating the POTUS.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: I stopped reading at "NBC News analysis"

Dec 31, 2020, 11:06 AM

Waaah ! Their reality doesn't like my reality !

Wouldn’t surprise me. We still don’t have tests available

Dec 31, 2020, 11:48 AM

in the quantities we need them.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic