Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
That's a Lot of Candlepower
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 4,338

That's a Lot of Candlepower

Oct 20, 2017, 7:56 PM

If I can make it to Nov. 25th, the day we play South Carolina, I'll celebrate No. 96. One of my Grandsons said, "Papa Joe, we're going to need a blow torch to light all of those candles" Well, that got me thinking, something I rarely do anymore. How many candles have I lit during all these years? I forgot long ago the formula for calculating the cumulative total of a set of consecutive numbers. But, I did remember a little trick some smart mathematician made a long time ago. For the cumulative total for 1 through 100, here is the trick. Add the high and low numbers in descending numbers from 100 and ascending numbers from 1. Example" 100 + 1 = 101, 99 + 2 = 101, 98 +3 = 101, etc. Thus 50 X 101 = 5050. It's simple for me since I'm approaching 100. From 5050 I subtract 100, 99, 98 and 97 and bingo, that means I will have blown out 4,656 candles. No wonder I'm pooped !!! And there is still one thing I do with gusto, lick the icing on the bottom of the candle when it's removed from the cake. Us old geezers are still good for something, we keep the birthday candle makers in business.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a Lot of Candlepower

Oct 20, 2017, 7:59 PM

You'll make it Joe21...into triple digits ya go!
Then we can start talking about you in terms of cumulative centuries ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Love your stories and insights, Joe. My father would have

Oct 20, 2017, 8:07 PM

been 95 this year, passed away in 06. WWII Vet, stationed in England, just outside London at a supply depot in a town called Ashchurch. Every time I read one of your posts I think of him. Thank you for your service - yours truly was The Greatest Generation. And, I have no doubt you will make it to Nov 25th! GO TIGERS!!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Thought you were going to talk about some anti aircraft searchlights***

Oct 20, 2017, 8:16 PM

Nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Oct 20, 2017, 8:31 PM

POTD

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'll make it to a hundred, brother, so you can see 8

Oct 20, 2017, 8:31 PM

in a row!

Oct 20, 2017, 9:57 PM

Joe21, I am a young 71 and was fortunate Enough to marry into a Clemson Family 49 year ago yesterday. My Father-in-Law will be 96 on November 5th. He graduated in 1943 and is still a hard core Tiger. I know it would be strange but did you know Martin Tiller? No matter, He was a classmate of yours! Keep pulling for your Tigers and I really enjoy your posts. Never forget you are part of the Greatest Generation ever! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did some ole fart mention Light?!

Oct 20, 2017, 11:09 PM

Ha..Congrats Joe for being 20 years ahead of me and in much better shape mentally, for sure!

Go TiGERS 1-100...Keep ROCKING!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2017, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: That's a Lot of Candlepower ]

fintiger---I got my first degree from the Univ. of Florida and did not come to Clemson until 1955 so I would not have known or been in a class with Martin Tiller. I was working full time, doing a lot of traveling and working on another degree after coming to Clemson and finally got that second degree in 1963. At one time my handle was Joe63 and a lot of guys thought that was my age. I wanted everyone to think I was much younger so decided to use the year of my birth, thus, Joe21.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2017, 6:58 AM

Love yr posts, Joe! Pls post pics of the cake afire on the 25th. Also, saw that Amazon video has video of actual newsreel footage from several countries taken during the Battle of the Bulge you might be interested in viewing. You may find some video of yourself or someone you knew long ago. Have a Happy B-day and let me know if you recognize anyone in the newsreel footage.+1

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

That's alright Joe,..

Oct 21, 2017, 9:05 AM

We on Tigernet have hired Godzilla to personally light your candles. That's the good part. Unfortunately the bad part is, it's Godzilla, you might not make 97.PS Happy Birthday early!!!!!!

God bless you, brother Joe.

Oct 21, 2017, 9:50 PM

I wish for you to have as many more birthdays as you want and want many.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 4,338
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic