Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should the ACC tourney really be a focus for us?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,585

Should the ACC tourney really be a focus for us?

Mar 1, 2018, 9:37 AM

Let me start by asking what would be a better milestone for us this year - winning the ACC tourney or making the Sweet 16? What would bring more exposure to our program and momentum moving forward?

I think the game against Syracuse is our biggest game before the NCAA tourney, because it guarantees us a double bye in the ACC tourney and is less likely to give us a bad loss if we then lost the first or second game of the ACC tourney (which might be the best thing for our team heading into the NCAA tourney).

To have to win three or four games to gain an ACC Championship and them having to be played in consecutive games could not only wear us out, but we cannot afford to lose any more players to injury.

I am not in any way saying we should lose on purpose or not bring out best efforts to any game, but if success in the NCAA tourney is our focus, success in the ACC tourney could pose a stumbling block for the NCAA goal.

On a separate topic: I think a better format for the ACC tourney would be to let the top teams play the bottom four teams first round, then get a second round bye to give them a break in between what should be a relatively easier first round game and valuable rest day in between. Also a first round loss to the bottom four shouldn't hurt the chances of the top 4 teams getting into the NCAA tourney as much as it would a middle of the pack ACC team. If 5-11 ranked teams are battling it out in their first games, they have a decent shot at adding a decent win to their resume or a loss that wouldn't be as bad. Having 15 teams instead of 14 really mucks up the draw in any format they do, but as a Clemson basketball fan whose been there before, I'd hate to see #15 not get invited.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should the ACC tourney really be a focus for us?

Mar 1, 2018, 9:39 AM

Why not win the ACC and go to sweet 16?

That would be great

Mar 1, 2018, 10:44 AM

but playing 3-4 consecutive games in that many days could wear our guys out, since we don't have as much depth, plus it puts our players at greater risk for injury.

I'm not really saying we shouldn't try to win the ACC, just saying if we lose out early, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Re: That would be great

Mar 1, 2018, 12:21 PM

Yep that’s what happened to Duke last year. They had to win 4 games

can we skip the ACC tourney

Mar 1, 2018, 9:56 AM

and rest up?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

With our ACC Tournament history, it should be a priority

Mar 1, 2018, 9:59 AM

Heck yes the ACC Tournament should be a priority. We've NEVER won the tournament. We've played in the final TWICE in our history! Let's go win the dang thing finally!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2018, 10:51 AM

Yes, yes it should be. We are fighting for NCAA seeding with our play in the ACCT. It is crucial that we win at least one game to solidify us as no worse than a 5 seed.

Mar 1, 2018, 12:26 PM

A good finish in the tourney should guarantee a solid NCAA seeding. I'd like to win a couple in the big dance.

Yes....

Mar 1, 2018, 12:48 PM

Tournaments are not supposed to be easy.
This team can handle 3 games in 3 days and then be ready for the NCAA (which by then would include a better seed and perhaps a friendly location).
It would do wonders for our program to make a run to the ACC finals and if we won I could care less about what happens in the big dance. Not expecting it....but it would be an incredible feat.
I do think that winning one NCAA tourney game would be great this year....after that, it's all gravy.
But at this juncture, an ACC championship would be monumental.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,585
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic