Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does anyone remember how the Pitt/Syracuse to the ACC went
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Does anyone remember how the Pitt/Syracuse to the ACC went

May 31, 2012, 10:49 AM

down. I don't recall hearing anything about it until it was done. I remember all the complaints on this board last year that the ACC was doing nothing and then all of a sudden we awoke one morning to find out the ACC had beat the SEC to be the first to 14. Just sayin naysayers on a Clemson move. Never say never.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't remember statements from the ACC against expanding***

May 31, 2012, 10:52 AM

I don't rememeber Pitt/Syracuse sayin we are happy in the BE

May 31, 2012, 10:54 AM

but open to listen to others.

We already knew they were interested.

May 31, 2012, 11:01 AM

Cuse was almost added when VT/Miami/BC were.

but i do remember teh big 12 and sec

May 31, 2012, 10:55 AM [ in reply to I don't remember statements from the ACC against expanding*** ]

saying they werent expanding.the sec infact voted against a&m then a month later they announced they were leaving the big 12 for the sec...big 12 said they werent up for expanding then poof welcome wvu

It was announced last year before the Florida St va Clemson

May 31, 2012, 11:06 AM [ in reply to I don't remember statements from the ACC against expanding*** ]

football game...

Didn't make a big splash at the time, during the season.

I'm talking about

May 31, 2012, 11:11 AM

The ACC saying "we're not expanding" and then adding two teams. That didn't happen.

but this certainly did.......

May 31, 2012, 11:19 AM

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/8/14/2362852/sec-expansion-texas-am-university-statement

SEC Expansion Dead For Now As 'No Action' Taken To Accept Texas A&M At This Time

Aug 14, 2011 4:05p by Mike Prada

SEC expansion has been put on hold, at least for the time being. Dr. Bernie Machen, the chair of the SEC Presidents and Chancellors, has released a statement indicating that "no action" will be taken on accepting Texas A&M into the league as of right now. The statement did, however, leave the door open for the league to accept Texas A&M in the future.

"The SEC Presidents and Chancellors met today and reaffirmed our satisfaction with the present 12 institutional alignment. We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league. We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion. No action was taken with respect to any institution including Texas A&M."

That should probably end the thought of Texas A&M leaving the Big 12 for the time being.

THREE WEEKS LATER........

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903285704576556414202373944.html

September 7, 2011, 7:47 p.m. ET

SEC Accepts Texas A&M Bid to Join Conference

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not the ACC.

May 31, 2012, 11:25 AM

Anyway, why use the ACC as an example when you have another much better example readily available. The ACC did not say a word about it until it happened, the Big XII and its schools have been commenting for months.

That was for LEGAL reasons

May 31, 2012, 3:18 PM [ in reply to but this certainly did....... ]

Texas A&M had to be the ones to initiate contact.

Re: Does anyone remember how the Pitt/Syracuse to the ACC went

May 31, 2012, 10:56 AM

i understand that Swofford asked for permission to look at expansion to protect the ACC against a potential Big East raid. the schools gave him permission but not direction on which schools. an ESPN official supposedly recommended Pitt and Syracuse. Swofford made the deal and FSU was pissed. their President may have known a little of what was going on, but the BOT and big boosters were in the dark, which is why they created an athletic advisory committee to look out for FSU's best interest... and which Clemson followed.

I first saw/heard on an ESPN crawl

May 31, 2012, 11:01 AM

I believe it was on a Saturday morning (maybe Sunday).

Out of the blue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought it was during the Auburn game .. I remember gettin

May 31, 2012, 11:03 AM

a text message about it ...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was either pregame or halftime . . . I was in Lot 5 when

May 31, 2012, 2:28 PM

I almost spat out my drink when I read it on an ESPN scroll. I knew they were interested along with WVa, UConn and Rutgers, but I thought it would take weeks if not months before the ACC would act. If you recall, this board was full of chatter at the time that the Big East and B1G were about to raid the ACC. If the ACC jumped the gun in picking up Pitt and Syracuse, all the internet chatter may have made them a little trigger happy.

Yep, it just came out of nowhere

May 31, 2012, 11:04 AM [ in reply to I first saw/heard on an ESPN crawl ]

I believe Pete Thamel of the New York Times broke the story and it was announced soon after.

Re: Does anyone remember how the Pitt/Syracuse to the ACC went

May 31, 2012, 11:14 AM

Yes, swofford said you and you Pit/Syr can come to the acc. The rest of you, you know who I'm talking about. Ok,Tex and others look else where. We don't want no High powered football schools in the acc. UNC has their hands full with Clemson, FSU, GT, VT, and NCST. And we don't want any more FB schools. That's the way that went!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could be the same with ND this year.

May 31, 2012, 11:19 AM

People can say ND isn't going to a conference all they want.

With ESPN PUSHING the 9 conference game angle in every single TV contract ,independents will be playing cupcakes.

If fact the only conference balking at 9 games is the SEC.I guess they want to be the champ but not play all the tough teams in their conference.Seems the whole conference has some Coot blood in it.

The Pitt/Cuse deal was a complete surprise to everyone

May 31, 2012, 11:57 AM

It hadn't been in the news, no rumors, no hints, nothing. Nobody was guessing the ACC would try to expand and its announcement was so sudden that it caught everyone off-guard. It was a cold-blooded, ruthless snipe job by Swofford, I must say.

A lot of folks were saying just the opposite - that the B!G

May 31, 2012, 2:37 PM

was going to take Maryland and that BC wanted back in the Big East, that there were only going to be two seats available on a bus across town to the SEC, and that we were going to get left behind.... Swofford moved quickly and with precision on that move and left UConn and Rutgers begging and crying at the altar. I don't like Swofford worth a tinker's damm, but I admired the precision in which he carried the thing out. I also think the ACC has been looking to go to 16 from that moment. They let Duke, Wake, UNC and UVA kill a bid for WVa, and that may be their undoing. I actually think the veto of WVa could be undone - but it would take a heII of a diplomat (read not Swofford) to get it done. WVa out of the Big 12 pulls the plug on an eastern division. WVa and Notre Dame rounds out a pretty dang impressive ACC. Notre Dame in the ACC is a bit of a longshot, but not as long as Notre Dame (playing football) in the Big 12.

Went like this. "Coach K, Roy, this is Swofford..."

May 31, 2012, 3:29 PM

"who do yall want me to go get?"

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic