Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do some people buy into conspiracy theories ??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 646

Why do some people buy into conspiracy theories ??

Jan 11, 2021, 9:14 AM

Here is an article that ATTEMPTS to take a more objective look at why conspiracy theories gain a foothold among us despite a lack of empirical evidence and rational thinking.

It is NOT a perfect article and there are some things in here that may offend you, but it DOES eliminate some of the more commonly given reasons and links to a number of more specific research articles that examine aspects of this phenomenon.

This can lead us to more closely examine our own (& our tribe's) shortcomings in reason and objectivity. We are ALL subject to a number of these elements of irrationality. Or it could just devolve into finger-pointing and excuse-making (Can we rise above that?)

Anyway, it's food for thought if you are interested in that sort of thing.

https://slate.com/technology/2021/01/conspiracy-theories-coronavirus-fake-psychology.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A football analogy: Have you ever noticed that a

Jan 11, 2021, 9:21 AM

targeting call is definitely targeting (or not) depending on your allegiance to the teams in the game? (Same with a close, juggling catch on the sidelines.)

Two rational people can see the exact same play - but their rational view of it will be skewed by whichever team they happening to be pulling for...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This line of thinking...

Jan 11, 2021, 9:26 AM

Is 100 percent correct and why I recommend reading Johnathan Haidt's book The Righteous Mind, where he does a superb analysis of how our biases affect us and our judgment.

For example, all of us Clemson fans get a little dopamine spark in brains when we see the Paw, or we have a similar adverse reaction when we see the chicken and the C. Those who are very loyal in party politics generate similar reactions when they see something for their party and the other side.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

That book was a huge help to me as I navigate all this.

Jan 11, 2021, 9:32 AM

Highly recommend it!

This and some parts of the Social dilema provide footing.

Jan 11, 2021, 9:37 AM

They allowed me to feel like I’m not crazy because I see both sides of the issues we face. Honestly, I was starting to wonder.

Thanks - I'd like to read that...***

Jan 11, 2021, 9:33 AM [ in reply to This line of thinking... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what if I #### my pant laughing everytime i see an elephant

Jan 11, 2021, 10:12 AM [ in reply to This line of thinking... ]

been happening for a few years now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU but being nitpicking substitute perceived for rational.

Jan 11, 2021, 9:46 AM [ in reply to A football analogy: Have you ever noticed that a ]

Individual perception are individual reality.

Rational implies object reasoning.

Admittedly this is dissecting words.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A football analogy: Have you ever noticed that a

Jan 11, 2021, 9:57 AM [ in reply to A football analogy: Have you ever noticed that a ]

Joey,

When I taught Psychology I used the analogy of colored sunglasses. All of our life experiences contribute to the color and shade of our glasses. And every new experience is filtered through the color of the lens of our previous experiences.

For instance, if one was raised in a home full of abuse, any effort to build trust with that person will be viewed through the mistrust already in their eyes. It would take an extraordinary effort to overcome that mistrust.

I just hate the rule. But generally with replay I agree

Jan 11, 2021, 10:10 AM [ in reply to A football analogy: Have you ever noticed that a ]

with the call if that's how it looks. I've seen bad calls against us, then upon replay I see it again and I'm like "yep", we deserved the penalty. Very few penalties against us are called that I disagree with after review. Heck, a lot of times I see the penalty clearly and know we deserved the flag, then yell at the TV for reviewing it and wasting time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's bias, not conspiracy theory.***

Jan 11, 2021, 10:55 AM [ in reply to A football analogy: Have you ever noticed that a ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do some people buy into conspiracy theories ??

Jan 11, 2021, 9:23 AM

Comes down to that most are just idiots. There are some that are mentally ill. Then there are some that just promote them to fit their agenda, even if they don't really believe them.

My son called me over the summer to be sure I was not a

Jan 11, 2021, 9:26 AM

QAnon believer - I tried to find an article like this then, so he would understand how people get caught up in conspiracy theories and cults.

It is a very good read. Thanks for the link.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More often than not, I'm noticing that they are neophytes

Jan 11, 2021, 9:27 AM

when it comes to politics and history.

With the most recent Trump-train jumpers who are all over the deep state stuff, and unfortunately I know a few, it seems like none of them really paid much attention to politics before Trump entered the race.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Consider reading Tom Nichol’s “The Death of Expertise”.***

Jan 11, 2021, 9:52 AM

Read it? I LIVE IT.***

Jan 11, 2021, 9:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More often than not, I'm noticing that they are neophytes

Jan 11, 2021, 9:52 AM [ in reply to More often than not, I'm noticing that they are neophytes ]

O,

Do you think it could be that many people who have been politically disengaged find it all too complictaed, nuanced, and corrupt ? This then attracts them to someone who seems to make it more simple and straight-forward ??

Re: More often than not, I'm noticing that they are neophytes

Jan 11, 2021, 9:53 AM

complicated (damm !)

They have not, by and large, ever paid much attention to

Jan 11, 2021, 10:17 AM [ in reply to More often than not, I'm noticing that they are neophytes ]

Election Days (and Nights), and how counting has happened and is reported since the television was invented. The concept of larger counties (read: populous cities) taking longer to tabulate, and being largely blue, is apparently a new construct invented in the past few years by liberals trying to steal elections.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I find this brand of mental illness fascinating

Jan 4, 2023, 11:43 AM

No matter how much reason one can be shown, it only reinforces their belief of the completely fantastic.

Its simply amazing.

Re: I find this brand of mental illness fascinating

Jan 11, 2021, 10:00 AM

I think the use of the term mental illness is simplistic and off-target.

It also allows us to exempt ourselves from the self-examination that might lead to a more rational and objective perspective.

I guess the benefit of being a cynic is that I don't

Jan 11, 2021, 10:19 AM

really believe anything unless I see it, and even then I may doubt it, so everything is a lie to me unless I'm proved different. While some see that as depressing, I feel it gives me an excellent baseline to reality.

The thought of believing there is a world wide cabal of leftist devil worshipping pedophiles that are really running everything, and only Donald Trump can stop them is just a little too far fetched for me to believe. Usually, adults don't believe in the easter bunny, but this craziness they fall for?

I can only blame the ability to believe that a mental illness. Anything else really insults the folks believing in that kind of nonsense, and I'd rather not do that to a mass of people.

I agree. It's amazing how people who are very smart

Jan 11, 2021, 10:01 AM [ in reply to I find this brand of mental illness fascinating ]

whether book smart, education, business, or just in life can completely fall for insane conspiracy theories and truly believe it and no facts that you show them will change it.

I literally showed the video of Trump supporters beating the officer to death with flag poles HOLDING TRUMP FLAGS and a family member in that stuff said "those are ANTIFA wearing Trump stuff."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I know, right? Oswald acted alone

Jan 11, 2021, 10:17 AM

Get over it already ... geesh

It was a heck of a shot though

Shots... and one really bad-axx bullet.***

Jan 11, 2021, 10:21 AM

Re: I know, right? Oswald acted alone

Jan 11, 2021, 10:34 AM [ in reply to I know, right? Oswald acted alone ]

It was a good shot.

You obviously have not read "JFK: The Smoking Gun".

Jan 11, 2021, 10:48 AM [ in reply to I know, right? Oswald acted alone ]

Nobody wants to believe that the fatal shot could have been a one in a zillion accidental discharge by a Secret Service agent's rifle.

But, in the same manner, no one wants to believe that a mousy little inconsequential bastid like Oswald could have taken down the Leader of the Free World, either. That skepticism alone is what gives rise to the ocean of conspiracy theories.

I couldn't tell you who actually pulled the trigger than killed Kennedy. But, the one thing that I am FIRMLY convinced of is that Lyndon Baines Johnson at least had prior knowledge. That belief is based on a presentation that came through Clemson while I was a student there in the mid 70's. One photo, in particular, makes the case. It was a still photo, shot from a side angle looking down the motorcade. Timing was just after the first shot had hit Kennedy. He was just starting to react to it, beginning to hunch over and would eventually grab at his shoulder lapels. In that same photo, there is not a single head visible in Johnson's limo, everyone had ALREADY hit the deck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your premise is dismissive from the outset... Rational?***

Jan 11, 2021, 10:27 AM

I just read the article. Already sent it to a few people who

Jan 11, 2021, 10:55 AM

need to read it.

Won't change anything.

Great find.

Edit: And of course the first response is "Slate is a liberal rag. I'm not reading anything from them"

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

I like your funny words magic man

Because that’s what they WANT us to buy into!!!***

Jan 11, 2021, 11:25 AM

null

Replies: 29
| visibility 646
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic