Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thanks for the support!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 732

Thanks for the support!

Aug 5, 2013, 1:44 PM

I had some great support last time I posted this so I thought I'd post it again!

Here's the deal:

I've taken a position as a 6th grade ELA teacher at DM Smith Middle School in Cleveland through Teach for America.

I want to spend a significant amount of our time, in and out of the class, focusing on independent reading. I mean, and I’m going to state the obvious here, the only way to get better at reading is to read.

We need to surround these kids with books. We’re going to learn how to pick out a fun book that they can read.

We use what is called the “Five Finger Method:” pick out a book, open it to a random page and read it, count the number of words on the page that you don’t know. If it’s one word, the book is too easy. If it’s 2-3 words it’s just right, and if it’s 4-5 words it’s too hard (just a little note, even as adults we can use this rule if we’re trying to grow our minds through reading).

In brief, this is what I’m asking, donate a book.

Here’s the link to my classroom wish list:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/10H6Z5SUPR1T5/ref=topnav_lists_1

Send it here:

Drew Powell
715 Martin Luther King Drive
Cleveland, MS 3873

I picked these books out because the content level is appropriate for 6th graders, there’s varying reading level, and because I know people who credit these books with fostering a love for reading.

If you have a copy of one of these books and would rather send me your copy as a donation, that’s fantastic too!

Here’s what I can offer you:

If you donate a book you’re going to get a hand-written, legible thank you note from Drew Powell. So make sure to attach your name when you send it! Also, Roald Dahl says “if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” That’s better than Maybelline.

If you donate more than $75 you’re getting a shelf named after you in the classroom library.

Thank y’all so much! We’re going to work so hard in my class this year to grow as readers. We can’t do this without you.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry for posting this in the Amphitheater

Aug 5, 2013, 1:49 PM

Meant to put this in one of the other general forums but wasn't paying attention. My mistake.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 732
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic