Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I come on here every time we play
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

I come on here every time we play

Dec 7, 2020, 8:20 AM

after the game to extend congratulations to the winning team, and of course that has been Clemson for a decade now and this past Saturday was no exception or really surprise to anyone who was interested enough to watch. I do want to congratulate Clemson team and coaching staff on their beatdown of VT Saturday night.

Like I usually do, I scan the site for posts about the game, and I'd like to address one of them. One post a page or so back said VT did not play to win the game. That is not only preposterous, but a downright insult to the coaches and players on both teams who took so much time and effort to even play the game. VT had the right game plan, and that was to keep the best player in the country by a mile standing on the sidelines warming his hands. He proved twice the first half that at any time, he can lead Clemson down the field and put points on the board. Why give him any more opportunities than you have to? An old Big 10 approach to the offense, 3 yards and a cloud of dust was the perfect gameplan for VT to use.

However, in the second half, when down to our fourth string quarterback, and the mistakes began to pile up and the defense worn down, Clemson did exactly what good teams do and stepped on VT's neck.

Congrats on the win, and please beat the crap out of ND in the ACCCG, but to suggest VT didn't come into that game playing to win cheapens your victory. That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on one of these boards, and that is a feat in itself.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I come on here every time we play

Dec 7, 2020, 8:27 AM

Any word on your QB, Hooker I think? He didn't look good on the sidelines.

He is fine. Was just having severe chills apparently.***

Dec 7, 2020, 8:35 AM

Re: He is fine. Was just having severe chills apparently.***

Dec 7, 2020, 8:36 AM

Good to know! Looked bad initially.

he's fine. His father said in an interview that it has

Dec 7, 2020, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: I come on here every time we play ]

happened before in high school when he got very cold. Muscle spasms. It did look like he was having mild seizures. Glad to find out that he was ok.

To the OP.....I thought that VT had an excellent game plan with the clock management. Whoever said that they did not play to win was wrong. Clemson's depth and halftime adjustments made the biggest difference, along with injuries. Always enjoy playing VT. Hope they get it back again.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: he's fine. His father said in an interview that it has

Dec 7, 2020, 9:50 AM

I was worried till he came back after being checked out. I figured he wouldnt be there if it was anything serious

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: I come on here every time we play ]

https://roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/we-feel-confident-hes-fully-recovered-encouraging-update-from-hendon-hooker-s-dad-on-qbs/article_8579e4e4-3812-11eb-b65e-63dd515143f4.html

Dec 7, 2020, 8:28 AM

Nicely done thank you sir.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 8:28 AM

I grew up not far from VT and was a fan as a kid. Once I went to Clemson that was over but I still keep up with VT. Tough game. Just strange to see it that empty. JUst hope your qbs are ok and that you bat the Cavs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 8:38 AM

I've driven by the stadium during games a time or two this year and surreal when you think a game is going on in there, but there is no noise coming out of the stadium. Usually, you can hear it all over Blacksburg.

Dec 7, 2020, 8:30 AM

I agree; VT had a great game plan and had me concerned until we scooped and scored to take a 31-10 lead. ND may very well follow the same game plan.

Could be. We start so slowly that running the clock keeps

Dec 7, 2020, 9:07 AM

that from happening until the second half. Also keeps your D fresh! Against VT it did not matter and we rolled them in second half. Won't happen that way in ACCCG. Need to start the O early!

The dude at Weak Florist should take note. When you are

Dec 7, 2020, 9:09 AM

already down 3 scores the HUNH offense that's producing 3-and-outs is a TERRIBLE STRATEGY!

I was about the congratulate you on a classy post until I got to your last two paragraphs. So we only won because you were down to your 4th string QB? You sound a lot like our rivals the coots.

And if you think our boards are so stupid then kindly remove yourself from them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 8:43 AM

I said nothing of the kind. You are reading what you want to read. I said that once that happened, it did seem the air went out of VT's sails. Everything went downhill, and of course Clemson had a lot to do with it, just as losing two quarterbacks affected VT's game plan and performance.

I said before the game on this site Clemson was going to win by 25+, and I was right. I congratulated Clemson and their players on the win. If you want someone to speak glowingly and tell you how great Clemson is and is the end all and be all, tune to ESPN or the ACCN.

Dec 7, 2020, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: I come on here every time we play ]

I was about the congratulate you on a classy post until I got to your last two paragraphs. So we only won because you were down to your 4th string QB? You sound a lot like our rivals the coots.

And if you think our boards are so stupid then kindly remove yourself from them

This is the most laughable comment on the board. Clemson acting like someone complaining about their starting qb being out is a coot. Since ND beat Clemson it's been nothing but "we didn't have TL" . So excuse me while i chuckle. The hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Dec 8, 2020, 11:43 AM

The drive by media has talked up TL being out for the ND game but I've heard no Clemson fans suggesting that as the reason for the L. The injuries on defense have been pointed out however, and rightfully so. I don't know if Clemson would have won with Skalski, Davis & Jones Jr. but their absence certainly had an impact in a double overtime loss.

Dec 8, 2020, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Re: I come on here every time we play ]

I'm not sure which post you were reading, but it wasn't the OP's.

Call it a beatdown if you want, game was much closer than

the score would indicate. Very uninspired performance from the tigers in my opinion.

I thought you played to win and had a good gameplan

Dec 7, 2020, 8:42 AM

if Burmeister stayed healthy the game might have been closer. The thing to remember is that this is a message board and a message board without idiots is as likely as a waffle house without hash browns.

Dec 7, 2020, 8:45 AM

I certainly thought VT played hard, played unintimidated and was playing to win. It was a good plan to burn the clock until we went up by 21. We are definitely way more talented, but your guys played tough. Trust me. You haven't spent much time on this board if you think you have read the dumbest post. Good luck against the Hoos!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have obviously spent some time on football boards and

Dec 7, 2020, 8:51 AM

therefore should realize that many bored poaster's only experience with football is from behind a gaming console.

VT's game plan was excellent, but non-sustainable. Once our D warmed up and started winning 3rd down it was all over. It worked pretty well in the 1st half when VT was able to move the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought VT had a very good game plan...

Dec 7, 2020, 9:03 AM

and executed it well in the first half.

However, I also thought Clemson may have been a bit guilty of looking ahead to a rematch with ND.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Both teams had players go out with injuries. I think we had

Dec 7, 2020, 9:05 AM

3rd string LB's in the game most of the 2nd half.

VT's game plan was smart and our talent was to great to overcome. I hope we remove ND from the ranks of undefeated in two weeks.

Take care and wish you and your family a safe and Merry Christmas!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 9:19 AM

With 3 time outs and 55 seconds the ball was at the VT 32. Would you say they were trying to win the game running the ball and not trying to push the ball down the field until the last play. The score was 17-10 at this time. Heck even a field goal would have done wonders for your teams confidence going into the half.
To begin the second half your team forced a 3 and out and got the punt at the 40 of VT. Again no passes down field when they were at mid field. Burmeister was having success against the secondary until he was hurt which was 2 drives later. Hell even your 4th string QB Kadum was doing very well passing. Your team threw the ball 19 times for 202 yards. Rushing was 45 rushes for 131 yards. Even if you take away the long pass at the end of the 2nd quarter you still had more passing yards then rushing yards. Clemson sold out on the run so to me that means you might need to change up your game plan if you want to be successful.

The perfect example I can use is the osu game against Indiana. In the third quarter Indiana was down 35-7. Did they run the ball just to keep the clock moving? No they continued to try to win the game and very well could have. VT just wanted the game to be over as quick as possible. I’m not faulting your team but if you watched the game you can’t honestly believe your team tried to win once down by 2 scores.

Message was edited by: Clemson_country89®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 9:42 AM

I disagree. With 55 seconds to go in the half, down 7, the last thing VT wanted to do is to even get to fourth down. Let's say VT decides to pull out the stops and throw the ball, and three times the passes fall incomplete. 20 seconds off the clock total because it stops between every play, and all of a sudden Clemson has the ball with 30 seconds to go or so. I wouldn't want to give Clemson another chance to build the momentum, even if it meant running out the clock and going into half down 7. That was a sight better than most thought it would be. I think if you tell the VT coaches they would be down 7 and the total yardage would be pretty much dead even at halftime, they would have taken it in a heartbeat. Their intent was to keep it close and see what happens in the 4th quarter, the tried and true blueprint for an upset. Clemson's talent prohibited that from happening.

Nope, that would have been suicide, because then you are getting into the game Clemson wants to play, up and down the field. VT had no chance whatsoever in a shootout, even one that lasts only a minute of game time.

They did make a mistake not calling the timeout after the first chunk run in that possession. That I will admit. They let 15 seconds run off the clock they could have used once they got towards midfield. But that is pretty typical of Fuente. Clock management is not his strong suit.

Dec 7, 2020, 9:46 AM

No worries we’ll just agree to disagree. ????
You know more about your team then I do. I’m just going off of what I saw.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 9:35 AM

I was listening to VaTech radio--Munson has developed some poor techniques during Covid away broadcasts that drive me nuts--and even the Hokie gamecallers were surprised at the lack of aggression AT THAT POINT only.

But this is what can happen when Dabo still had all his timeouts in his pocket. Saving your timeouts can become a powerful intimidation tool. Our O had already demonstrated its potency--we had 17 points on 26 plays, run in 10 minutes of possession, averaging 9 yards per play without being in hurry up mode. The last thing they want to do is give the ball back to us with time remaining in the half.

Also true that clock management is amazingly poor for some of the best D1 coaches. It can generally be delegated, until it can't; and most games aren't close enough for it to matter. (Even this one, it didn't matter by the end.) And it's not as though college coaches are professional at winning games: they are professional at preparing 21-year old kids to win games.

my only argument there is that Clemson was to receive the

Dec 7, 2020, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: I come on here every time we play ]

2nd half kick. I'd at least try to get points of some kind.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To what end though? Makes no sense to go conservative there

Dec 7, 2020, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: I come on here every time we play ]

Youre a 5-5 football team. Not like youre trying to keep some special season alive. It doesnt matter if you get aggressive and screw it up and Clemson gets a cheap score there at the end.

Dec 7, 2020, 9:38 AM

I actually thought that Va.Tech played a good game, and had you scored right before the half, and not had the turnovers ,the outcome might have been closer.
I was disappointed in one way by the size of the crowd,but I think that played to our favor.
We need Virginia Tech to be good again, as we do FSU, Ga.Tech and a couple of other schools.
Thanks for your comments.

Dec 7, 2020, 9:47 AM

I don't want to break my arm patting myself on the back but I did have the score 42-10. I was not expecting a field goal. It turn out about like I thought it would.

Kudos to Fuente. I live in da Noke.

Dec 7, 2020, 10:10 AM

he was on the local news and said his game plan was to use clock and limit our touches and he still felt after the game that was the best plan and he'd do it again.

Didn't work after about midway through the third quarter (although it annoyed me terribly that the announcers started talking like the game was over when we were only up 24-10) but scared the bejeebers out of us for a half.

If it makes you feel any better, I did a moj0-changing wardrobe change after our first series in the 3rd quarter. That's how concerned I was.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kudos to Fuente. I live in da Noke.

Dec 7, 2020, 10:24 AM

That's coming from the same head coach who cost his team a game against Liberty by calling a timeout before a 57 yard FG attempt and still said after the game he would do it again.

That's his go-to line after something doesn't work out.

Re: Kudos to Fuente. I live in da Noke.

Dec 7, 2020, 10:53 AM

That is what scares me a little. Fuente will be saying that as he goes out the door counting his money if/when VT fires him.

"If I had it to do over again, I would..."

Dec 7, 2020, 10:32 AM

This is why I think both sides are correct on this subject.

Yes Fuente thought the best way to beat Clemson was to keep the ball from Trevor. In theory that is correct.

Where he made a mistake was not taking advantage of how his offense was performing in the first half.

It has been proven over and over again against Clemson's defense that if you plan to get them you better do it in the first half.

This isn't to say that very talented teams can't have 2nd half success against Clemson like ND did, but teams that find something that is working in the 1st half against Venables usually see it disappear in the 2nd half.

VA Tech is a one trick pony on offense this season and that trick went away in the 2nd half.

Fuente had Clemson's defense on their heels in the 1st half and he didn't read the flow of the game and try to take advantage of it. What would have been better than killing the clock would have been scoring points.

Even before the half, with Clemson's defense still struggling, VT almost scored when they weren't even trying.

His ONLY chance to actually win by killing the clock was to get ahead by more than 1 score early and THEN try to take the air out of the ball and hold on.

Once Clemson got to make adjustments at half the game was over and would have been even worse if not for Trevor's end zone INT and Clemson's general decision to play lots of reserves early in the game.

Dec 7, 2020, 10:35 AM

Stick around for a bit, you'll read much worse posts than that. This place is a goldmine of stupid on GameDay.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for checking in.

Dec 7, 2020, 10:44 AM

Some of the posts on here are a downright insult to our coaches and players as well.

I hope you are also aware of the numerous posts on here showing genuine concern for your quarterback.

Most importantly, we look forward to Clemson's next visit to VT with a full stadium and a competitive team for an electric atmosphere! If anything, this pandemic should make us more grateful for our traditions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for checking in.

Dec 7, 2020, 11:07 AM

I agree, and thanks to all on here that expressed concerned for Hooker and Burmeister. I had also noticed Hooker shaking violently on the sidelines. No wonder he couldn't catch a snap if that was happening on the field.

And also to the Venables kids from Clemson that apparently broke his arm. I don't like to see anyone seriously injured, and especially a kid's season ended prematurely. They work too hard for that to happen.

Good luck to you guys. Please don't let ND walk away with the ACC title. Pound their green arses into oblivion for the rest of us, would ya'?

This will be one Hokie wearing the orange shirt come December 19th. It might not be Clemson orange, but it daggone sure won't be green and will have to suffice.

Dec 7, 2020, 11:14 AM

Whoever said that about VT obviously has a football IQ of zero. VT absolutely came to play and they didn’t stop until the clock hit zero. I thought the game plan was brilliant to keep our offense on the sideline and it worked. I also wonder how different that game could have been if you had a stadium full of fans. Thanks for the kind words and we hope we can come out as conference champs once again.

Dec 8, 2020, 12:27 PM

I understand what the post was talking about - it referred to the clock management strategy where the hokies were basically in run-out-the-clock mode the entire game. One could argue that this accomplishes nothing but keeping the opponents fresh and keeping the final score low for both sides. The other side of the argument is that it keeps teams with a big depth advantage from being able to just wear out your starters and beat you in the 2nd half (a standard Clemson strategy). I think it is a legitimate tactic for teams that feel outmatched on depth and makes turnovers and chance plays more likely to give them a shot to win.

Great game plan.

Dec 8, 2020, 5:58 PM

In the 1st quarter, I said to my daughter, who is a huge Tiger fan, "VT is milking the clock and trying to turn this into a six-possession ballgame... brilliant... Clemson has to be very efficient and score on every possession." Hats off to the VT staff for coming up with the plan to give their guys the best chance to win. So, to "not playing to win" I have to say, bunk! Hold onto Fuentes... he's a class coach and will make you (back) into a winner!

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic