Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later

Mar 20, 2020, 6:37 PM

What started last week with a few PUIs (COVID rule outs) has now turned into every one of our ICU units being at capacity with 15 of our 30 pts being PUIs or positive just in the ICU. We've set up another wing just for positives that do not need critical care.

The recommendation of worker protection change almost daily. We are already rationing and reusing masks, and not even N95s, just plain old simple masks for longer than suggested periods of use. These masks do not protect from airborne, which the CDC says they cannot rule out that COVID is not airborne.. Why? We do not have the stocks of proper PPE (personal protective equipment) or even bleach, cavicide wipes to maintain for the expected duration of this pandemic.

There are some interventions that we are not doing (manual proning) of a sick 85yo COVID positive pt bc the risk of exposure to the 6-8 staff members is not worth the questionable recovery of this man in severe ARDS. His mortality was already at approx 30% just being in ARDS, add in age and positive COVID and the decision makes sense. Sound familiar?

I believe my hospital system is doing the absolute best they can. I believe we are grossly ill equipped and unprepared to handle this. This is multifactorial and in part, IMO, has to do with lack of manufacturing and a complacent reliance on Chinese production of the equipment we need.

I do not feel safe, I do not trust anyone and will challenge MDs and bosses to keep safe. I am encouraging my coworkers to maintain their own safety above all, even if it means refusing some care in an unsafe situation.

If anyone is still doubting, trust me when I say that I fear for my own well being and those of my coworkers.

I do not mean to inspire fear.. This is a plea to please heed the warnings. Isolate. Wash your hands. DO NOT HOARD what you dont need. LEAVE the masks and other PPE for healthcare workers who are spending hours in harm's way to try and help as many as we can.

I believe in the good of people. I believe that if we are all out best, we can do great things and help one another through.

Y'all be safe, keep your hands clean and smiles big. Live with love and be smart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later

Mar 20, 2020, 6:42 PM

as a physician I appreciate your very well vetted opinion on this matter. Thanks for giving us a boots on the ground perspective and for trying to educate the masses as to the real world effects of this virus. May you be protected from its impact on your own circle. God bless

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2020, 6:43 PM

God bless you and your colleagues. Thank you all and take care??????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

prayers for you and all involved. Just know

Mar 20, 2020, 7:09 PM

You have people thinking and praying for you on a regular basis. Stay strong and thank you!

Re: prayers for you and all involved. Just know

Mar 20, 2020, 8:08 PM

Thanks for the update. Still keeping you and all in the medical field in my prayers. To hear from boots on the ground really helps us know the reality of things as it is easy to get complacent just staying isolated and say to ourselves well I/We don't see or have many cases so maybe we can do this or that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: prayers for you and all involved. Just know

Mar 21, 2020, 9:16 AM [ in reply to prayers for you and all involved. Just know ]

I do not understand people praying for safety to the same god that created the virus in the first place. How does this guy get all of the credit and none of the blame ??

Is it so hard to understand that it gives some people

Mar 21, 2020, 10:33 AM

Comfort, hope, lessens anxiety, relieves sadness. Perhaps just the need to believe in an afterlife, that there is more than this. That they might see loved ones again. No matter why or what they believe, you don’t need to understand. It is not your concern.

Thank you for all you do!

Mar 20, 2020, 8:07 PM

Hopefully this pandemic will make us produce stuff in our own country going forward.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank you for all you do!

Mar 20, 2020, 8:11 PM

It wont. American consumer will buy the cheap crap. We never learn.

Re: Thank you for all you do!

Mar 21, 2020, 8:59 PM

It will. This is a historical moment. Watch.

Mar 20, 2020, 8:11 PM

You are in my prayers. Thank you for everything you do.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Mar 20, 2020, 9:04 PM

thanks for all you do and yall will be in our prayers

Mar 20, 2020, 9:10 PM

Waiting for the posters to reply with information about how this isn’t worse than the flu and that we should all get infected so we can have herd immunity.

Any time people...

Mar 20, 2020, 9:27 PM

I'm praying you my friend!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And I for you... think of you and MFO Jr often

Mar 21, 2020, 1:51 AM

Be well my friend.

null

Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 PM

As a physician for DHEC that is on the primary team for this infectious disease, I am going to have to throw a flag for "excessive exaggeration". As of tonight there is no hospital in SC with more than 3 ICU patients that have a confirmed or presumptive Covid19 diagnosis so what you are describing, unless you are working in Washington state, NYC or California, is not correct. I totally understand the sacrifice and to help inform the public that this is a serious situation but "exaggerating" the actual situation is not helping the situation and leads to excessive worry and panic. Please be careful with your words and do not mischaracterize the situation.

Mar 20, 2020, 9:30 PM

He is in California!!!!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here, you can play catch up...then perhaps apologize as well

Mar 20, 2020, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later ]

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/ICU-RN-perspective-26985938#26985938

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2020, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later ]

This did not age well.

We’re waiting Steven B.***

Mar 20, 2020, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later ]

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

yep- CA- might want to check some of his other

Mar 20, 2020, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later ]

posts and you might want to get prepared cause the #### storm is coming - way too late on so many fronts.

Mar 20, 2020, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later ]

You do realize Clemson has fans /alumni outside the state of SC right? Goodness SC is on the latter part of the curve but it is coming In in Atlanta and they already have a shortage of equipment and beds at many of our area hospitals

He is on the front line in California! He’s much more up close

Mar 20, 2020, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later ]

and personal with this virus than you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2020, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Re: ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later ]

Obviously stevrnb... Doesn't post often. Obviously, should have gotten their facts straight first but it wasn't a mean post and they did clarify unless you are in...

But still, shouldn't have gone off like that w o knowing but I'm willing to cut them a break. Hopefully they'll come on and apologize. It happens.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, had to deep breathe that immediate flame in my belly to my chest

Mar 21, 2020, 12:58 AM [ in reply to Re: ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later ]

I hope you aren't this presumptuous of information in your job.

I'm in Sacramento working for a major and wealthy health care system. There is no exaggeration.

Good luck to you there..

And pick that flag up while you're at it.. you have been charged a time out and have 2 remaining.??

I love and appreciate all y'all. Hope you know I'm not looking for TUs or a pat on the back, just shaing the experience. Be safe, smile with all you got.

null

I am applying for a VA retirement facility, not

Mar 21, 2020, 1:11 AM

a nursing home yet thankfully. However, there is one on same campus, and I called there to check on their Covid-19 status. They were very tight-lipped, but finally admitted they were under quarantine and grudgingly admitted there was a positive, but would not tell me how many. I have a girlfriend who lives 8 miles away, and she has heard nothing about it. I am glad I am not there!

Message was edited by: tigeron®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow, had to deep breathe that immediate flame in my belly to my chest

Mar 21, 2020, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Wow, had to deep breathe that immediate flame in my belly to my chest ]

Keep us posted as best you can my friend. Godspeed... Protect your circle and God help us all that none of you have to make the choices Italy is having to make.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for what you do, soywaker!***

Mar 20, 2020, 10:57 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Mar 20, 2020, 11:15 PM

Oh lawd, please protect Soywalker and all that are in a similar situation.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fellow RN here. I echo every word. Great post!!!!!

Mar 21, 2020, 12:37 AM

Wash your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are still in my prayers . . . as are your comrades

Mar 21, 2020, 1:06 AM

and your families!!!

This post may be "German" but it's a similar perspective from a doctor on the front line:

https://m.facebook.com/823560564/posts/10163158117695565?sfns=mo

Message was edited by: Skeeta56®

PUI = person under investigation

Mar 21, 2020, 4:16 AM

if anyone was wondering

3M is making 100 million N95 masks a month

Mar 21, 2020, 4:32 AM

yet they don't seem to show up anywhere.

Just like test kits...we have millions but only really sick people and NBA players can get tested.

I don't get it.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/3m-doubles-output-of-n95-respirator-masks-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/

Because only those

Mar 21, 2020, 6:22 AM

Without get reported. It's the equivalent of a sound bite...emphasize the desired point, get the heck out. What comes before or after is irrelevant. Sniper-reporting!

It's only natural the really hot spots are suffering the most. It truly sucks...yet the reinforcements are coming. Still, when the bullets are flying overhead, keeping perspective is a challenge, at best. Thankfully, pros like Soy and, yes, I suspect even StevenB, will stand in there and fight for the rest of us, despite the known risks! Just know we're grateful for all you're doing...and sacrificing! The better day is coming!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember - making these items is just one part of the

Mar 21, 2020, 6:32 AM [ in reply to 3M is making 100 million N95 masks a month ]

process. Getting them packed in trucks and delivered is another. Got to keep the truckers moving and they are starting to have a few problems as well...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/truckers-trump-concerns-coronavirus

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2020, 7:38 AM

Godspeed Soy in the war on the virus.

Stay safe.

Mar 21, 2020, 8:06 AM

Thanks for you report. Hope your first-hand report doesn't get lost in all the TN bs. Please keep us posted in the coming weeks. Be safe. Keeping you in our thoughts.

Mar 21, 2020, 9:02 AM

What county are you in, I have a 50 ct box of the mask that I use when cutting grass, and now for when I have to go out. If you're in Lexington or Richland county, I would be glad to let you have 30 of them. They're not the best, but better than nothing!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is NOT an isolated case

Mar 21, 2020, 9:13 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/this-system-is-doomed-doctors-nurses-sound-off-in-nbc-news-coronavirus-survey/ar-BB11tMzK?li=BBnb7Kz

All if this is true here. I ordered home made masks

Mar 21, 2020, 12:54 PM

from a Moms sewing group based out of Folsom CA yesterday. These are ladies who are out of work for now, and want to help. Asking just the cost of materials. In the worry and fear really can come some beautiful reminders of the human spirit.

I'm going to Costco tomorrow after work with the hopes of buying a few gallons of bleach to make my own wipes with old garage rags.

I went to a "class" yesterday during my shift where I was told how to place my simple mask (not an N95!) in a brown paper bag to reuse to all day and with multiple patients. The virus is consider contact, so stays on surfaces. So we are being told to put the mask in and out the same way everytime so that the side that touched my face isnt contaminated. I have no faith in that approach. I'll work out something.

Anyhow, that article is 100% my experience here. Thanks for posting.

null

Mar 21, 2020, 9:58 AM

Thanks for the update and God bless!

Mar 21, 2020, 6:05 PM

Thanks for this post and the work you do. Stay safe!

Mar 21, 2020, 11:36 PM

Prayers for you soywaker and all in this war. You are the true heroes. Courage in the face of adversity is the measure of this nation and you sir are the best of the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic