Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Clemson is "national championship good" but have to run through "Noles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

New Story: Clemson is "national championship good" but have to run through "Noles

Jul 14, 2015, 8:10 AM

Clemson is "national championship good" but have to run through "Noles

The ACC media will convene at the Pinehurst Resort in North Carolina later this week, and the voting for the team that wins the ACC title this season will likely be a battle between Clemson and Florida St. In other words, it’s business as usual when it comes to the Tigers and the ‘Noles and one national radio host agrees that the fortunes of the ACC will come down to those teams. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Clemson is "national championship good" but have to run through "Noles

Jul 14, 2015, 8:22 AM

Lets do it!!! Make it 13-0!!

Re: New Story: Clemson is "national championship good" but have to run through "Noles

Jul 14, 2015, 8:22 AM

Well 14-0. I kept forgetting about playoffs system.

Making it to the NCG would take 15 games!

Jul 14, 2015, 8:32 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Making it to the NCG would take 15 games!

Jul 14, 2015, 11:21 AM

Youre right. Didn't have the cup of coffee this morning -_-

Re: Making it to the NCG would take 15 games!

Jul 14, 2015, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Making it to the NCG would take 15 games! ]

But before we have any kind of a chance to think about, or even be considered of having a chance to play the 14th and 15th game. We sure as H&LL better win ALL of our first 13 game with a dominating effect. I don't think we will get even the slightest of consideration with a 12 & 1 ACC record. To have a chance of being considered to play in the playoffs with a 12 & 1 or 11 & 2 record. You ###~n well better be one of the teams that play in the SEC Super Conference. If a ACC team went undefeated with one of the easiest ACC schedules, they wouldn't be in the playoffs over a super conference SEC team with one loss. Clemson or FSU can not make it to the playoffs with a loss on their record. FSU almost didn't make it last year undefeated. One loss ends any chance for any ACC team, and I think we all know that!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2015, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Clemson is "national championship good" but have to run through "Noles ]

I like the way you think!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have a tough schedule, no doubt about it.

Jul 14, 2015, 8:47 AM

@ Louisvile
Notre Dame
Georgia Tech
@ Miami
@ NC State
FSU

These are our toughest games.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

our D is what worries me most

Jul 14, 2015, 9:18 AM

We need a top 10 D to go undefeated.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: our D is what worries me most

Jul 14, 2015, 10:31 AM

Our D will be fine... I have little confidence in our OL..... The OL needs to grow up in a hurry for us to be 11 - 1, if tey play great and protects DW, we might be 12 - 0.

Jul 14, 2015, 10:32 AM [ in reply to our D is what worries me most ]

maybe so....

But I personally have more concern about the o-line. I know we have talent. But the position is tough to learn at the collegiate level and takes time. A lot of newbies....hopefully they soak it up quick!

Jul 14, 2015, 1:05 PM

Lot of youth on that OL, but we have the wild card of Watson's mobility. If there is any cure for a young offensive line, it's a highly mobile QB that can avoid the sack from missed blocking assignments. My hope is that Watson's ability will keep us winning while the OL has time to gel. If the OL can gel by mid season we will be in great shape.

Jul 14, 2015, 1:15 PM [ in reply to our D is what worries me most ]

I disagree. I think we'll be fine if our defense is Top 25 (and I think they will be). The real questions are all related to the OL & DW's health which, for obvious reasons, are heavily intertwined. If our OL gels well and keeps Deshaun upright while opening some decent holes for him and Gallman/Dye, this could be a magical season. The defense is young, but talented. Our offense should be able to cover up a lot of the blemishes early on.

Oregon had a defense in the 60's and made the title game.***

Jul 14, 2015, 4:50 PM [ in reply to our D is what worries me most ]

As much as we hate them, we can never look past USuCk.

Jul 14, 2015, 9:30 AM [ in reply to We have a tough schedule, no doubt about it. ]

They won't go down lightly, especially if we show up undefeated.

If we go to SCar undefeated, we'll be listening to Spurrious

Jul 14, 2015, 9:34 AM

give his farewell speech the next day... Well, maybe not on Sunday....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As much as we hate them, we can never look past USuCk.

Jul 14, 2015, 10:25 AM [ in reply to As much as we hate them, we can never look past USuCk. ]

They will go down, however.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank goodness we've got the...

Jul 14, 2015, 9:43 AM

cheerleader HC who knows nothing about Xs and Os.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...or hiring assistants ... or roster management...or... ;~)***

Jul 14, 2015, 9:52 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm wondering when Dabo is going to be one of the

Jul 14, 2015, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Thank goodness we've got the... ]

pall bearers at Spur's (figuratively) funeral. Next year? 1-2 years? Dabo will still be around cheerleading, they will still be battling it out w/ Kentucky and vandy.

Re: I'm wondering when Dabo is going to be one of the

Jul 14, 2015, 10:11 AM

No team ever " lays down " or whatever , but Scar just has been outrecruited and outhustled by our coaching staff , and we should expect to beat them this November.Of course anything is possible in an away game against a rival ...but Clemson has more victories in Williams-Brice stadium than Scar does in the overall series .
Go Tigers

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Thank goodness we've got the...

Jul 14, 2015, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Thank goodness we've got the... ]

> cheerleader HC who knows nothing about Xs and Os.

I'm really hoping at this point- after several ten win seasons- you're joking. Otherwise, I'm afraid you're an idiot. "Cheerleader head coach."

Your sarcasometer is broken.***

Jul 14, 2015, 4:42 PM

The guy PICKED to CONTEND or the guy who won ONE in 6 yrs?..

Jul 14, 2015, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Thank goodness we've got the... ]

... and who won that lone ACC title (while going 10-4) largely because FSU was in a coaching transition with their starting QB and six other future-NFL starters out injured for a game in Death Valley?

The X's & O's guy who started Stoudt over Watson and couldn't beat FSU last year even though their starting QB was suspended?

The X's & O's guy who led Clemson to it's first losing season (6-7) in decades despite having a team laden with future NFLers and superior talent to many of the teams that beat him?

The X's & O's guy who took a record-setting, laughing-stock Orange Bowl butt-whupping?

The X's & O's guy who has been OWNED by Spurrier with a record-setting losing streak?

The X's & O's guy who has been OWNED by Fisher including a record-setting whupping in Death Valley?

Dabo has become a much better (and good) coach over the course of his on-the-job training, but let's keep things in perspective before touting his brilliance. Being PICKED to CONTEND is one thing. Beating a full-strength FSU and winning the ACC is another.

Re: The guy PICKED to CONTEND or the guy who won ONE in 6 yrs?..

Jul 16, 2015, 7:07 PM

"record-setting, laughing-stock Orange Bowl butt-whupping?" (take out "Orange Bowl" and substitute "$EC championship game vs Auburn" here, and you have USuCk.)Auburn beat USCjr WORSE in the biggest game that USCjr EVER played in its ENTIRE history.

"record-setting losing streak?" That set absolutely no records. lol. Maybe for USuCk, but not for anyone else. The record streak is 7....and Clemson owns it.

Spurrier owns nothing but retirement property in Gainesville that he can't get to fast enough, and a 6 pack of Zima.

35-17, 66-42-4. Embrace the butthurt. It will always be there.

Re: The guy PICKED to CONTEND or the guy who won ONE in 6 yrs?..

Jul 19, 2015, 1:43 PM

Razz never can seem to find stats that show the dominance Clemson has enjoyed vs the little orphan step children in cola since the history began. He does look hard to dig up negative stats about Clemson, though, but give him kudos. I've never seen a poster more adept at finding negative tripe about Clemson and about what Dabo, with his hands tied due to a bad severance deal with TB in the beginning, has managed to put together without lowering the high moral, ethical and academic standards of our great university. He won't quit trying, though. There is no quit in him.

I'll take that to mean you can't refute my specific points.***

Jul 22, 2015, 2:30 PM

I'm a Clemson alum but I don't drink Kool-Aid. Eff SCar.***

Jul 22, 2015, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: The guy PICKED to CONTEND or the guy who won ONE in 6 yrs?.. ]

you're no fan of anything but yourself.....

Jul 22, 2015, 3:09 PM

I've watched you throw off on Mr. Swinney for 6 years, and now you want to pass off that he's "grown into a better coach" as a way of justifying your position on him at day one?

Seriously: are you just Steve Spurrier's brother, his crazy aunt, or his syphilis-racked fan-club president?

No!

Jul 14, 2015, 10:24 AM

The 'noles have to run through us this time around. It won't be easy, either.

Re: No!

Jul 14, 2015, 1:17 PM

In fairness, they're the ones with the crown. We need to take it from them.

Jul 16, 2015, 11:05 AM

In fairness, this isn't last year. They may be better. So may we. It all gets played out soon. I think we stand a great chance against everybody we play. FSU has a great team. They always do. We'll know soon enough. My bet is we will be very impressive.

Jul 16, 2015, 11:27 AM

I agree with you...I guess I was just saying the concept of "Getting through" another team is related to who has won in past years. I think we're the better team and, if healthy, we should win...but since the Noles have been beating us consistently and winning the ACC for the past 3 years, we're the challengers/outsiders.

I probably shouldn't have even said anything...it was just about the semantics of what you said and not a disagreement with your idea that we should be the better team. My bad.

Jul 16, 2015, 9:41 PM

I see your points, and they are valid. That said, I am not afraid of FSU. Their standards, or lack thereof, have put them in the top tier, along with several other top programs who have a "football first" mentality. We are getting it done the right way, and it is working out very nicely. Our day is coming, and it's coming the right way. IMO

Jul 16, 2015, 9:49 PM

I agree with you. I think we're doing it right, and it'll make victory taste that much sweeter.

Jul 19, 2015, 10:41 PM

Also, our success will be much longer lasting than the flash in the pan programs who do whatever to get there, get caught, coaches get fired and then they fall out of sight. Then the cycle restarts. I do believe our program is built on solid footing, and when we get to the mountain top we will remain a factor for a long time.

Offense nor defense should be our concern its Special Teams.

Jul 14, 2015, 10:32 AM

As you laugh, I will preface this with...

- The defensive second team was sophomores and juniors. They were only two seniors on the second team squad (Steward and Williams). The rest we have back from that squad with the exception of the Oklahoma transfer who is on to graduate school instead of staying one more year. As for Ebo, he was a second option. We have depth behind Lawson and Dodd. Have faith that Venables and staff finds it.

- The offensive line is in much better shape than any of us realize. The Left tackle position is vital and a true freshmen seem to be a bad person to put there. But if that freshmen is a 5-star who appears to be better suited for the role than the senior who played hot and cold on and off the field, then that is a plus. Also, we are deeper there. If this was 2014, gasp and paper bag from hyper-ventilating. But we are much better off right now.

- We focused so much on how well the offense plays with Watson. Nick Schussler, for better or worse, worked out with the first team all spring and probably will this fall some. If Watson goes down, I have faith in Nick.

Which brings me to the third tier. Remember the Florida State game? I've said it before and I will say it again, all this talk about shotgun on third and short is unnecessary if Lakip makes 3 field goals. There is no overtime in that game and we win going away. Remember the Louisville game? How many offensive touchdowns did we have? Who scored the crucial touchdown that literally puts it a yard shy for Louisville? Why none other than Adam "Sure Hands" Humphries, who broke the back of another ACC newcomer (remember when we played Syracuse in 2013 and he had two touchdowns, both long) when he took back a punt return for a score.

Not all games are going to be like the Russell Athletic Bowl. The special teams have to be just as spectacular as our defense and offense. The return game should be great. It is the kicking that has me a little worried. Teasdall has the makings of being as good as Pinion judging from some of the punts from the Russell Athletic Bowl and the Spring Game. He flip the field really well. We have situations with the LS, who is new, the placekicker, one suspended, the other is Alex Spence. If you have never heard of him, he is pretty good but I haven't seen him in the pressure cooker. If Lakip has to do the "Laundry List," we will find out. Which brings me to Lakip. How solid will he be if he is able to continue at Clemson? That is where we need to discuss the worries. Both offense and defense are going to be fine in lieu of their situations.

I know a Clemson win is a Clemson win and

Jul 14, 2015, 11:18 AM

sadly, we didn't even win the game but without Winston playing, I couldn't have possibly thumped my chest too loudly if we would have pulled it off.

Jul 14, 2015, 10:38 AM

Well one thing is very clear, the media has painted a Giant preseason Target on our backs!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2015, 10:57 AM

Ask the Noles about having a target painted. There are only a few upsides, and those are; being known nationwide as a power elite, being desirable to 4 and 5 star recruits and enjoying the benefits of an energized fan base.
With the first comes haters at a level you just can't imagine and a press that loves to indulge in innuendo,scathing judgements and shinning the spotlight on adolescent behavior.
Being in the top tier elite can sometimes be frustrating as it seems you are not allowed to fully enjoy the earned benefits.
If you can really enjoy the battle to get there, you will be happy when you achieve goals set and met. Just don't think the trophy is the final prize, it is the fight to get there that will always be satisfying.

keep an eye on gt and think louis

Jul 14, 2015, 10:59 AM

Dips not sure they have the horses they had last year.

Re: New Story: Important Issues

Jul 14, 2015, 9:36 PM

What's Important?........ One game at a time, one opponent at a time, one win at a time. Then comes the Cherry on top....... slapping around those "shamecocks" with a beat down at the "coop" that will take them years to get over.

Re: New Story: Important Issues

Jul 15, 2015, 5:29 AM

In the article the expert mentioned Texas as a top tier team in CFB .
Since When ? That school has been absolutely terrible for the past decade . Vince Young and the Longhorns was the last time they were top tier in football .
Gimme a break . You earn that status . It isn't tradition based , it isn't talent based or even potential based ...it is what have you done over say the last 4 or 5 seasoms or so .
Top tier today is (IMO) Alabama , Oregon , FSU , Ohio State . That is it . Those programs in the last few years have proven to be the best and most consistent in the landscape.
Texas hasn't been in the top 4 tiers .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic