Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Oh, how the once Mighty have fallen. I know it's only
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Oh, how the once Mighty have fallen. I know it's only

Nov 1, 2020, 6:55 PM

through one game, but out of 130 FBS teams, NEBRASKA is dead last in scoring defense, having given up 52 to the Nut Necklaces. This may not mean anything to you younger fans, or millenialists, but old guys like me remember when parlay cards used to come out weekly, (for entertainment purposes only, mind you) and Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama would be routinely giving up 49 to 60+ points, AND COVERING IT. Nebraska hasn't been good for awhile, but it is still a shock to see them dead last in the country in scoring defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oh, how the once Mighty have fallen. I know it's only

Nov 1, 2020, 7:10 PM

Wow! How the wheel has turned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still remember 1972, when we kicked a late field goal to

Nov 1, 2020, 7:14 PM

almost squeak one out against Oklahoma, losing 52 - 3. Hootie Ingram. No more need be said.

Thank Goodness, times have certainly changed from those days for us.

A 52 yarder at the buzzer to quiet the laughter***

Nov 1, 2020, 7:17 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And cover the 50 point spread***

Nov 1, 2020, 7:41 PM

Texas, the USC, Meechigan

Nov 1, 2020, 7:15 PM

All once dominant and now not close to national players. Can say the same for the 'Noles and the U. It doesnt take much or long to fall from the heights and it can take a while to get back, if ever.

Leaving the Big XII was the Huskers biggest mistake as it killed their Texas recruiting. They have no natural rivals now

Yep, and the second most unnatural thing in college football

Nov 1, 2020, 7:18 PM

is West Virginia in the Big 12. It makes no cents, and certainly costs a lot of travel dollars.

Nebraska not playing Oklahoma makes as

Nov 1, 2020, 7:44 PM

much sense as Texas not playing aTm. Nebraska also had healthy rivalries with Texas and Colorado. Now, Iowa? WVU not playing Pitt. It's just stoopid

Yep. We don't think that much about it down south, but

Nov 2, 2020, 7:58 AM

the Couch Burners vs Pitt was a blood feud. Like us vs the Coots, only with real guns.

Re: Yep, and the second most unnatural thing in college football

Nov 2, 2020, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Yep, and the second most unnatural thing in college football ]

Used couches are way cheaper in Big12 country . I think that was their motivation .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Osborne! And Power I is why NE is down

Nov 2, 2020, 6:57 PM

When Tom Osborne won it all and retired in 1997(I believe it was) he did so basically having never been stopped fully! Nobody can legit say, they just shut his teams down 100%. Miami did a few times in the mid to late 80's with their speed; but Osborne adjusted his defensive tactics - kept that Nebraska I and wore people out with it.

They had what was called the best walk on program in the country at the time. I would argue either Clemson or Wisconsin has that title now. Their style of offense required big OL which he could get and build up by the ton! Then a really good ball handling, tough, fast QB who could throw it accurate to wide open WR's when they did decide to throw it. Once he started upgrading that defense with faster players to cover more modern offenses it was over. His offense basically ensured his defense only had to face a small number of snaps and they suffocated you to death.

Enter today's game and Nebraska is left in the dust because H.S. aren't producing road graders anymore. They are more finesse OL. Also, they can't get kids to come there to play defense(with much speed). If they do get some - they don't have enough depth. They tried to run the spread but didn't have the personnel to do it with and you can tell. Their best bet is to do what Wisconsin does and just pound the football with those Big OL(which they can still get by the dozen if they are willing to build them up). Commit to running the ball no matter what to the point teams can't stop you; when they over commit you have a QB accurate enough to play-action pass it over the defense's heads on occasion. Broad summary and not a fine point description of basically what Wisconsin does and they do it at a high level! Didn't they make it into one playoff or could have but the buck nuts beat them or something?
They have the wrong philosophy in place now for the type of recruits they are getting! Osborne took advantage of what he had. When the game changed - he upgraded the speed of his defense and started winning National Titles again in the late 90's.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Texas, the USC, Meechigan

Nov 2, 2020, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Texas, the USC, Meechigan ]

Well, the Texas recruiting wasn't enough to overcome the University of Texas bs. TA&M and Nebraska left around the same time. I was thinking the whole conference would fall apart.

It may be different now, but a few years ago I read much more conference money Texas got than the other members. It was obscene given that UT has one of the richest fan bases in the country.

Yes, and kind of refreshing to me. I can remember when

Nov 1, 2020, 7:38 PM

most Americans didn't know what state Clemson was in.

Now we're the most consistent team in the Nation.

Good times.

I mean GREAT times.

Scott Frost gone after this season as HC.***

Nov 2, 2020, 8:41 AM

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Nebraska's Football Program Died Years Ago

Nov 2, 2020, 11:50 AM

National recruiting has left them in the dust. Scott Frost will eventually leave (or get fired) and win elsewhere. His replacement will be worse.

Enjoy the B1G money pot, continue building nice facilities for your athletic programs but also understand that excelling in football is a thing of the past.

Nov 2, 2020, 12:56 PM

I'm old enough to remember. Seems like all we ever heard back when, was Arkansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska. All good things must come to an end. Enjoy today.

Nov 2, 2020, 12:56 PM

I'm old enough to remember. Seems like all we ever heard back when, was Arkansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska. All good things must come to an end. Enjoy today.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic