Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How many of y’all remember Donnell Woolford?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

How many of y’all remember Donnell Woolford?

Jan 28, 2019, 10:08 PM

Maybe the best DB during his time at Clemson, all-time? I’m surprised Clemson fans don’t bring his name up more often. There was an old poster that Clemson produced way back where he’s laid out making a play on a pass and can’t ever find that pic. He’s like 8 feet in the air. Anybody have one of those?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How many of y’all remember Donnell Woolford?

Jan 28, 2019, 10:12 PM

Used to play basketball with him at Fike. He could jump out of the gym but not real tall. Cut up. A good guy too. Had a good career with da Bears.

Donnell loved his jumpshot... LOL

Jan 29, 2019, 12:22 AM

he was stronger than he looked too... but the one football player that I hated to be on his team was Vince Robinson, passing the ball to him was not EVER going to be reciprocated... LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 10:18 PM

Agreed. Woolford was a great player.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 10:59 PM

As a starting lineup? He was a stud

Jan 28, 2019, 10:24 PM

Douglas Bryd high school Fayetteville NC. I played with him my freshman year at Clemson in 88. Best athlete I have ever been around. The bowl game you are talking about was 87 against Penn State. He use to have one hanging in his room at mauldin hall

Jan 28, 2019, 10:49 PM

Great Citrus Bowl victory over Penn State...35-17.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 10:51 PM

Correction 35-10.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Re: How many of y’all remember Donnell Woolford? ]

Is kpt Kingsport?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He still comes around. Spent some

Jan 28, 2019, 10:28 PM

time at a tailgate I was at for 2 games this past season. Nice guy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Jan 28, 2019, 10:36 PM

Remember well. Introduced himself to a fellow freshman within all of our first couple days and informed correctly informed he’d make an impact. Up there w Dawkins, Kinard and Waters. Your described play was likely the one-handed pick in the thrashing of Paterno and Penn State. Just like Dabo, Danny usually faired well against the “great” coaches. Would have been interesting to see the heights he/we could’ve reached if all had been on same page and had better leadership. Oh well, Dabo and staff righting any and all wrongs. Perhaps Donnell will re-surface around T Town soon

Jan 28, 2019, 10:47 PM

Donnell Woolford was a great cornerback, and I well remember him. Since football season ended, I have been watching a lot of the old games on youtube. IMO Woolford was the best CB to ever play at Clemson. Few teams risked testing him, and those who did mostly regretted their mistakes.

He was pretty good on punt returns as well...

Jan 29, 2019, 12:30 AM

He and Deion Sanders had some jawing going on during the game in '87... Deion was jawing at our sideline, and I would imagine specifically at Donnell, about taking the punt back for a TD, and then proceeded to do it...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terry Kinard says HI!***

Jan 29, 2019, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Re: How many of y’all remember Donnell Woolford? ]

Terry Kinard was a safety.***

Jan 29, 2019, 7:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw him after the homecoming game this past season...

Jan 29, 2019, 12:26 AM [ in reply to Re: How many of y’all remember Donnell Woolford? ]

he's not a fixture but he comes around

Jan 28, 2019, 10:42 PM

I agree that he doesn't get mentioned enough with former Tigers. I'd say he was the best during his time at Clemson in the late 80's. He was a shut down corner because he battled you at 5'9". Unbelievable athlete. And had a great pro career as well.

Jan 28, 2019, 10:49 PM

Thanks for posting. Know the one you’re referring to but not sure where it is. Shoot, he’d be a good one even today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 10:56 PM

I hardly ever post but could not resist this one. I was a freshman in high school when Donnell Woolford was a Senior. Back during those times you could still go into Frank Howard's office on game day, as a kid, and chat with him and security was so lax or rather absent that you could walk right in the practice locker rooms too. Anyway, a couple friends and I had done our usual routine and seen Coach Howard and made our way into the practice locker room where we tried on pads, helmets, jerseys, etc. Lockers were unlocked and I ended up in Donnell's locker. I will say that he sacrificed a pair of orange practice shorts with his number and a paw on them. I wore those until I was in my early 30's before they finally gave up the ghost. I also held his ACC defensive player of the week plaques (2 of them that were in his locker). I hope he still has those somewhere but it was pretty cool to see and do all of that as a kid. Great memories!!

Jan 29, 2019, 5:45 AM

That reminds me of the time I was traveling with the Clemson basketball team. We were playing Illinois in late 97 and practicing at the Bulls practice facility. After practice we got to check out their lockers and I snagged a pair of Jordan's socks that were balled up in the corner.

give 'em he!! Donnell***

Jan 29, 2019, 12:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2019, 2:21 AM

If my thinking is correct he believe healso returned punts. One awesome player with great speed and instincts.

That he did...

Jan 29, 2019, 7:06 AM

vs GT in ‘87

Re: That he did...

Jan 29, 2019, 7:45 AM

That’s a blocking clinic right there

Re: That he did...

Jan 29, 2019, 8:21 AM

I was thinking the same thing, 2 guys were knocked out of their shoes and another was flattened. He did a great job of making half the cover team knock each other over.

Great player. Probably my favorite corner of

Jan 29, 2019, 3:02 AM

all time at Clemson. Nice career with the Bears too. We've had a few player connections with the Bears with him, Perry, Fuller, and I can't remember his name but a TE that played for them also.

Re: Great player. Probably my favorite corner of

Jan 29, 2019, 4:51 AM

Keith Jennings?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. That was him.**

Jan 29, 2019, 5:39 AM

I remember Keith Jennings getting hyped up after

Jan 29, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Great player. Probably my favorite corner of ]

Mike Williams caught that sidelines catch on that final drive against bama in the first clemson bama championship win.

Jan 29, 2019, 7:48 AM

He will forever hold a special place in my heart because of a play he made in one of the most infamous Clemson games of my lifetime. The '87 puntrooskie game. Leroy Butler would have scored on that play had not Woolford run the length of the field and made the tackle inside the 5. Still lost the game, but it was one of those guts plays that just made me proud.

Jan 29, 2019, 7:50 AM

He also belongs in our top ten list for cool sounding names, along with Eldridge Milton.

Jan 29, 2019, 7:57 AM

I would say he is our best CB all time in the NFL. Who would be 2nd? Tye Hill?

McCLeon and probably Henderson in that order. After that

Jan 29, 2019, 10:42 AM

I'd say Sensabaugh and Breeland have passed or Breeland maybe on his way to passing Hill. There are a few others you could say were as good or better that Hill in the pros. JMO.

Jan 29, 2019, 8:50 AM

Hard to forget the best CB we had for a long time (Mid 80's - 2000), from what I remember as a boy - young man.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he was the best all time.***

Jan 29, 2019, 9:39 AM

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic