Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for Judge K
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 2,477

Question for Judge K

Jan 31, 2021, 3:05 PM

I respect your common sense and fairness . What do you recommend about our Men’s BB program Di you feel Brad needs more time

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for Judge K

Jan 31, 2021, 3:43 PM

Question for moon tiger? What makes you think something should be done in the middle of a season?

Jan 31, 2021, 3:49 PM

I didn’t read his post to imply that. But each to his own. I for one would like to hear JK’s feelings as of today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Jan 31, 2021, 3:59 PM

Ok then, more time for what reason? Clemson has as much sustained success under BB as any coach in 100+ years so what are you expecting?

I'll give it a shot ...

Jan 31, 2021, 4:27 PM

Because we are mired in sustained, long-term mediocrity with Brownell (not success), and are currently in a mind-boggling tailspin where we are getting blown out by opponnents. Under Brownell, our average finish in conference is 8th, and our highest finish ever is 3rd(once). Two NCAA tournament appearences in ten years. Zero appearences in the ACC Championship game. That's why it's fair and reasonable to question what's wrong with the program and what can we do to fix it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I accept the higher expectations.

Jan 31, 2021, 6:59 PM

What I don't understand is how some people on here say they want better and then when they explain what they expect, it's still mediocrity. Why can't our expectations be the NCAA tournament every year. Why can't we expect to be competitive in the ACC every year. Even when we were mediocre in football, we expected more. Those expectations brought change. As long as people accept mediocrity in Basketball, that's what we'll have. Just my two cents worth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2021, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for Judge K ]

Judge just saw your post I’m sorry you chose not to answer which let’s me down a bit I under no circumstance would remove Brad in the middle of a season I have great respect for him for his love of Clemson and being a good Christian man He is in many ways everything we need but he is not a complete coach and I will not get into that

I did answer you.

Jan 31, 2021, 7:41 PM

What’s the problem?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I think Brad should be allowed to finish the season

Jan 31, 2021, 4:14 PM

before analyzing how the season has gone and deciding whether to stick with him or go in another direction.

Those who are using the last 4-5 games to justify a personal dislike of him or his coaching, and thus call for his firing, are being petty. The same people who argued against getting excited over our 9-1 start and #12 national ranking should apply that same logic here. We still have a lot of basketball left to be played this season. Basketball seasons, like individual basketball games, consist of streaks. Sometimes you go on a scoring run, other times you go on a scoring drought. We are in the middle of a drought right now. Hopefully we will go on a nice run again soon.

Despite being characterized as someone who supports Brad at all costs, that simply isn’t true. I support Clemson basketball, and happen to believe that Brad is a great coach. My desire for him to be given more time, despite backlash here, has been based on the fact that Clemson has only recently provided the facilities and staff needed to be a consistently winning program. Expecting a coach to work miracles with minimal support is stupid, and that formula has never worked in Clemson basketball’s 100+ year history.

Those program needs have been in place a few years, so I think it’s only been fair to see what Brad can do with them. We have had some success since then and there is no denying that we have seen improvements in the program. For me, this year is key in evaluating his performance.

At the start of this season, I felt that we needed to make the NCAA Tournament this year for Brad to keep his job. I think that’s reasonable. But I also believe things will be evaluated in context of COVID.

If we make the NCAAs this year, he keeps his job. I would be good with that. If we barely miss the NCAAs he might keep his job since the pandemic did probably cost us a game or two. If we continue our downward spiral we have been on these last few games, I think he’s gone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Covid? BAHHHHHHHHH

Jan 31, 2021, 4:34 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

DRad will factor that into his analysis of the season.

Jan 31, 2021, 4:48 PM

You should, too. The loss of games and practice, and the harm that caused, is also real.

It’s obviously not an excuse for how we have played since then, but you’re delusional if you don’t think it has impacted our season on some level. You’re also clueless if you don’t think DRad will realize that when he reviews the season with Brad.

Re: DRad will factor that into his analysis of the season.

Jan 31, 2021, 4:59 PM

11 years of the same pattern with Coach BB is enough. It would be a crime for him to win enough games to get into the NCAA tournament and put the Clemson basketball team through this next year. Clemson BB players deserve better than they are getting. How do you think they feel year after year of the same results.

The players love Coach Brownell.

Jan 31, 2021, 7:42 PM

He just signed a top 20 recruiting class so your perception of him is very far off from that of the players.

Terrible, sorry excuse.

Jan 31, 2021, 5:17 PM [ in reply to DRad will factor that into his analysis of the season. ]

Virginia won 8 of their next 9 games after a covid issue. Louisville won 6 of their next 7 after a covid layoff. Baylor won 12 straight after a covid layoff. So take that sorry ### excuse and stick it where the sun don't shine. We totally collapsed after our layoff. Your obsession with defending Brownell at all costs is alarming.

- H. L. Mencken

Again, COVID isn’t an excuse.

Jan 31, 2021, 7:41 PM

Sometimes I feel like you don’t read posts, you jut respond with the same retort you always use.

Stating a reality (e.g., COVID) isn’t making an excuse. As I’ve said many times, COVID isn’t the reason we have been blown out 4 of the last 5 games. But you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think it had an impact on some level. Brad didn’t forget how to coach during that week.

In evaluating the season, DRad will certainly take it into consideration. As he should. It doesn’t mean that will be used as a reason to keep Brad if he does, but he’s not going to ignore it just to appease fans like you who are unable to be objective at this point.

Then quit trying to use it as one.

Jan 31, 2021, 9:53 PM

Covid is a reality. Either it caused us to lose games or it didn't. If it did, then it's an excuse. If it didn't, it's not, and you can't use it as one. Which is it (in your opinion)?

- H. L. Mencken

Re: DRad will factor that into his analysis of the season.

Jan 31, 2021, 5:22 PM [ in reply to DRad will factor that into his analysis of the season. ]

I agree with most every thing you said above and a pretty fair analysis of where we are at this point ... obviously that changes if he somehow gets this team to play like it’s capable and we make a run ... or if we continue to tailspin and don’t even make the nit which prob won’t get played anyways... only thing I disagree about is the covid issue... has it effected teams absolutely ... are we the only the team that has had to deal with it absolutely not! I’m not buying that part of the argument bc in reality playing a very mediocre Duke team that we should have beaten will not be any easier at Cameron indoor with ZERO fans than it did yesterday ... road games for this team have become a ton easier and I get ppl will
Say home games for us aren’t as tough but let’s be honest LJ had not been this tough atmosphere that teams fear playing at since OP left , it’s just not near the same so we should have an advantage in evenly matched road games which would normally be very tough based on fans so that’s why I don’t think covid is that big of a deal and if for some reason D rad comes out and let’s it slip that he’s not happy with the season if we don’t make the tourney but says given the circumstances (covid) Brad will get another year I will laugh my head off and won’t turn a single game on next season if that’s the excuse ... I like your fairness but it’s time to get it or done or not and the inconsistency of this basketball program is insane

Re: I think Brad should be allowed to finish the season

Jan 31, 2021, 5:58 PM [ in reply to I think Brad should be allowed to finish the season ]

Well said, realistic and supportive. Thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2021, 6:51 PM [ in reply to I think Brad should be allowed to finish the season ]

judge I respect your opinion but you have spent the last few years making excuses for Brad and it seems to continue using Covid I think the Dems used that to take over our govt

Jan 31, 2021, 7:32 PM

While I'm not defending JudgeKeller, I don't believe your recent post helped validate your argument.

Jan 31, 2021, 5:39 PM

Don't think a mid-season departure is necessary, see how the season goes and make a decision. I have been supportive of Brownell, but some new energy would be good. If Pat Kelsey isn't getting noticed D-Rad is blind. The Big South isn't the ACC in terms of competition, but give him a few years with his recruits and see what happens.

Jan 31, 2021, 8:20 PM

I agree that waiting until the end of the season is sensible. I think a serious review then is in order. Covid shouldn’t be in any discussion. Every team has encountered it in some manner or the other. Plenty of teams have had layoffs and come back strong.

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Replies: 21
| visibility 2,477
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic