Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Teams on the road after a short week...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,515

Teams on the road after a short week...

Sep 18, 2015, 10:34 AM

...historically win less than 20% of their games. The ACC knew it...and scheduled us AT Louisville anyhow, which is just usual ACC front-office amateur-hour BS. The league could have gotten one of their two legit contenders for a playoff spot knocked off after Week 3. ACC schedule management has always been...fascinating. And inept. ACC refs are even worse; that crew was a horror show.

Playing on the road, with a short week of prep, is insanely hard for the visitors. Doing it with a young team like Clemson's is even harder. Doing it at a place like Louisville, where no team in the country would be utterly confident of walking away with the "W", is hardest still. Like I said beforehand...some games are survive-and-advance, and I would take the ugliest of 1-point wins in this one and smile about it afterward, and I'm doing just that. I wondered aloud if Louisville would break if Clemson got up early...but that didn't happen, mostly because....

About the only other negative takeaway from this game is that Clemson really is missing Mike Williams and nobody's really emerged to take his spot yet. I was hoping Charone Peake would step up large but he really did not last night...now, I suspect, the focus is going to start switching to Deon Cain. Somebody needs to be able to take the top off a defense.

Watson looks a little unsettled to my eye, still. I noticed it in the first couple drives against App State and he never really looked comfortable at any point last night. Pressure of expectations, unease about returning from injury, or the absence of Mike Williams, or a little of all of that? Dunno. But we've seen him look a lot sharper than he did last night so I'm not overly worried. He was still good enough...mostly because...

Wayne Gallman. Dude has emerged as a full-on hoss. I burbled quite a lot about him after Spring and said he was good for 1,200-1,500 yards this year and he's showing my eyes were not deceiving me. The guy is a flat-out baller and might be my favorite player on the team right now. Having him takes just enormous pressure off Watson and our receivers going forward. Wanna sit deep and make us drive? Fine. We'll pound the rock, all night. We can.

And oh, yeah, our D still rocks. Love me some Venables. Bobby Petrino is going to get his, because he schemes and calls plays as well as anybody in college football, but his O got physically whipped last night.

PS: Somebody please fix our kick coverage before it costs us a game. Please.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That win set up a potentially very special year.

Sep 18, 2015, 10:36 AM

10-2 is about the absolute worse I can see unless we have a huge injury issue. That was a huge huge win.

good stuff

Sep 18, 2015, 10:43 AM

I also see we are missing Williams real bad. Peake did not show up last night. Did they bench him after his drop in the 1st Q or did DW just not even look that way? Leggett I was encouraged by him last night. He still needs work on blocking but he is slowly improving. GHop was raped last night but of course no call. I, like you think Cain will be somebody that will improve each week and eventually be that down field threat. The secondary for Louisville played tough D last night but we shot ourselves in the foot a few times. dropped balls, throwing into double coverage, and black jerseys at or around DW all night. I'll take the win and now we have more than enough film on the last 2 weeks to prepare for ND.

Re: good stuff

Sep 18, 2015, 11:32 AM

Peake did drop 1 pass, but came back with a nice catch and took a big hit on top of that. He never saw another ball after that. Not sure why some are hard on him. Tough to catch a pass if they don't throw it to you.

Re: Teams on the road after a short week...

Sep 18, 2015, 10:45 AM

Excellent post I agree 100%

Excellent analysis......

Sep 18, 2015, 11:21 AM

I could not agree more about Mike Williams. Unless someone steps up, his loss could cost us 2 games. We have to have a deep threat.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2015, 11:27 AM

one of the greatest stats i've seen: 92 yards after contact for Gallman. And he had carries after they put that up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2015, 11:37 AM

On your last point I am nearly to the point of saying just kick the #### thing oobs and give it to them on the 35.

It is only 10 more yards from a touch back anyway.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,515
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic