Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Targeting on Trevor
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Targeting on Trevor

Jan 8, 2019, 2:03 PM

I imagine the game would have been a lot more interesting if Trevor got knocked out of the game for a concussion on that non-called hit to the head by Mack Wilson.

Huge play relatively earlier on in the game when the end result was in doubt.

(Yes, I have faith in Chase Brice, but another year and another non-called hit to our QB's head by a Bama player.)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

announcers go ad nausem about targeting rules

Jan 8, 2019, 2:05 PM

on borderline calls ...

crown of helmet
defenseless player
launching
etc etc etc.

then they get a textbook example, and (crickets chirping)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: announcers go ad nausem about targeting rules

Jan 8, 2019, 2:20 PM

Reese Davis outright said, on LIVE TV, "oh yeah, thats not targeting at all."

Not sure if the same play, but I remember one

Jan 8, 2019, 2:06 PM

where Lawrence made a run and there was helmet-to-helmet contact. But I didn't think it amounted to targeting. It wasn't really a hard hit, their helmets just happened to contact each other. The rule states there has to be "forcible contact," and it looks for a "launch" by the defender. I didn't think the play contained either of those.

It was a play where the announcers mentioned the possibility

Jan 8, 2019, 2:07 PM

of targeting, so I thought it might be the play you were referring to. I thought it was pretty obviously not targeting, personally.

Trevor was a running back and...

Jan 8, 2019, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Not sure if the same play, but I remember one ]

the Bama kids was doing what he was taught, try to put your helmet on the ball. Out of emotional terror I would have called it targeting but I rethought it quickly enough to pick up my flag and wave it off.

It wasn't targeting, he didn't launch though he did take a swipe at the helmet rather than the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't have to "launch" for it to be targeting...

Jan 8, 2019, 2:12 PM

But the "launch" is given as one indicator of targeting.

But "forcible contact" is required for there to be targeting. And I don't see that here.

Also says "defenseless player". Not the case here.***

Jan 8, 2019, 2:13 PM

Let me make one final correction/clarification:

Jan 8, 2019, 2:24 PM [ in reply to You don't have to "launch" for it to be targeting... ]

There are two ways for there to be targeting:

Forcible contact with the crown of the helmet, on any part of an opposing player.

Forcible contact with any part of the offender, on the head/neck of a defenseless player.

The only way it's potentially targeting is the first one, since Lawrence did not meet the requirements of a defenseless player. The key in both cases, and it is subjective, is "forcible contact". Officials on the field, and reviewers in the booth, clearly did not think there was forcible contact, and I agree.

Re: Targeting on Trevor

I can only figure Trevor ducked too and it was viewed as mutual contact in normal play. I like the play saftey content but hate the way they enforce this rule and the inconsistency of its application

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a subjective rule...

Jan 8, 2019, 2:08 PM

Any subjective rule will lead to inconsistencies in enforcement.

I've seen it called many times this season for way less than what happened on that play.

lucky, good, or both ?

Jan 8, 2019, 2:08 PM

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/7/18172490/mack-wilson-targeting-alabama

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, if that's the play, pretty obviously not targeting

Jan 8, 2019, 2:09 PM

at least to me.

Am I the only one seeing a pretty glancing blow

Jan 8, 2019, 2:10 PM

Not a hard hit? Seems obvious to me, but it seems I'm the only one saying it.

I’m generally in favor of ref not making that call

don’t like the rule, especially when their doesn’t appear to be malicious intent. TL lowered his head, not sure what defender could do differently

That said, glad no one was hurt

Which game was it where one of Clemson's players got

called for targeting when his arm hit the other players helmet ?

Good ol' ACC officiating.

In fairness, that one got overturned.***

Jan 8, 2019, 2:12 PM

Actually, hitting the opposing player's helmet with your arm

Jan 8, 2019, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Which game was it where one of Clemson's players got ]

Is specifically listed as targeting, if it is forcible contact to a defenseless player.

"No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. "

I didn't think much of it live

Jan 8, 2019, 2:14 PM

Trevor was the ball carrier and lowered his head before contact which lead to the helmet to helmet hit. You see this all the time with RBs lowering their heads and it's pretty much never called. I think the only reason this is getting any traction is because it was Trevor Lawrence. If that's Etienne or Feaster or any other RB, nobody bats an eye at this play.

Jan 8, 2019, 2:18 PM

I didn’t see that as targeting cause it looked like Trevor lowered his helmet at the last second to make the helmet to helmet contact. As in the defender didn’t go out of his way to hit Trevor in the head area.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic