Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Talking talent...RB's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Talking talent...RB's

Jun 14, 2017, 8:45 PM

One thing I do kinda like about Rivals.com is their recruiting ranking system. In a nutshell, there's usually around 30 5-star guys...which correlates to the guys the Rivals.com gurus think are future first-rounders.

The system's pretty linear, too. You get around 300 (usually) 4-stars, usually correlating to the guys the Rivals.com evaluators think have NFL potential. A 6.0, high-end 4-star guy, then, would be a 2nd/3rd rounder, a middle-tier, 5.9-rated 4-star would be a 4th/5th rounder, a 5.8-rated low-end 4-star would be a 6th/7th rounder...again, if they've done their evaluations correctly.

Guys rated 5.7 (high-end 3-star and below) might be solid to adequate college guys, but are not believed to have NFL potential.

Which is why I'd expect some resolution on the RB recruiting situation pretty soon. Obviously, we want Zamir White, the #1-rated (per almost every service) RB in the country. He's a 6.1, 5-star, allegedly has first-round potential all the way.

The problem is, nobody I've talked to thinks we get him.

If you check the position ratings, most of the RB's rated below White are Florida guys. They've duly been snaffled up mostly by Miami and FSU already; Ohio State got Brian Snead and Oklahoma got TJ Pledger out of IMG. But there's an intriguing guy in Clemson's camp...Michale Salahuddin, a Maryland product who's rated the #8 RB in the country and carries a 5.9, middle-tier 4-star rating. That correlates to a 4th/5th-round grade, meaning if the Rivals guys are correct he's about as good as a Wayne Gallman or a James Davis. Also in the mix is Devon Lawrence, Dexter's little brother, who carries a 5.8, low-end 4-star rating and is rated the #11 RB in the nation per Rivals. Both would appear offer-worthy on any ordinary year...which this isn't, because we have 15 scholies total as an absolute max. We may have less.

It's worth noting that Tyshon Dye and Adam Choice both carried that same rating as Salahuddin, and neither panned out (though Dye is still at Clemson), owing mostly to major injuries. Tavien Feaster also carries the same rating and has flashed talent but has not entrenched himself yet. And it's also worth noting that our likely starter, at least in Week 1, is going to be CJ Fuller...who carried a very modest 5.5, low-end 3-star rating coming into Clemson from nearby Easley HS. Obviously he's better than that but it'd still be surprising to see him make it to the NFL, which means a more appropriate rating would have likely been a 5.6 (adequate college starter) or 5.7 (above-average college starter). but probably not a standout or likely NFL guy unless he just dramatically exceeds expectations with his remaining two years of eligibility.

Incoming frosh Travis Etienne ended with a 5.7, high-end 3-star rating per Rivals.com. He landed at 4-stars on a couple others. He's a bit of a wild card, a late-blooming prospect who got a truckload of prominent offers late.

All of which is to say, we look reasonably solid at RB right now. But our running back stable is also not bursting at the seams with 4-and-5-star uber-talent like we appear to be at several other positions, especially QB, WR, DL, LB, and even DB. Even our OL has significantly more 4-and-5-star talent, on paper, than we have at RB.

So on paper, then, all we lack is an elite, game-breaking RB. It'll be interesting to see how the coaches resolve this coming out of camp.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Talking talent...RB's

Jun 14, 2017, 8:47 PM

I do think you meant "Choice" is still here, not Dye. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2017, 8:49 PM

> I do think you meant "Choice" is still here, not Dye.
> ;)

Whoops. Yup. Sorry.

Jun 14, 2017, 8:54 PM

LOL, that's ok. Was a good read. Fuller is a complete back; he can block, he can run between the tackles, and he can catch the ball out of the backfield. Feaster is quicker and faster, and can also catch the ball out of the backfield. You said it, we are solid at RB, just not spectacular, but our backs don't have to be spectacular. They just need to be dependable. Will be great to see fall practice come and get in Higgins, Rodgers, Etienne on the offense, and Williams, Williams, and Terrell on the defensive side. Reload, #### and fire. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Due to low numbers

Jun 14, 2017, 8:58 PM

take Kyler McMichael, who's the #3 Athlete, and can play RB, Safety, CB and WR.

A Swiss Army Knife.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Due to low numbers

Jun 14, 2017, 9:04 PM

I really hope we land KM. He definitely will be a player. Kind of reminds me a little of Peppers IMO. But as stated numbers are tight so guess we will see. Coach Swinney and Co know what to do.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2017, 9:05 PM

Etienne Is quick and had an unreal per carry average last year. Off memory something like 27 yards a carry, I believe he and Feaster both will be speed demons and the walk on from TL Hanna Rencher is like 5-8 190 pounds but quick as lightning too. The coaches really like him so our crew may really surprise us. I really believe the time Gallman spent with Feaster on top of his talent is going to pay off. When he gets comfortable running I believe his speed and talent will become second nature on the college level to the point he could take over games.

If we become effective running the ball our offense will be unstoppable an our defense will be fresh and strong every game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I thought Feaster looked like a different player in the

Jun 14, 2017, 10:58 PM

spring game (different from last season). I know it was just a glorified intra-squad scrimmage, but he looked bigger, stronger, and more comfortable. If he has learned to block for the QB, then I expect really big things from him - he has game-changing talent.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I thought Feaster looked like a different player in the

Jun 15, 2017, 12:13 AM

Feaster is what we need for speed, jet sweeps, RPO's , etc. It's his time to show he can block, and turn the next gear on as Swinney says. It's Feaster's year for the taking, however Travis E. will come in with accolades as well ready to prove himself. Hard carries go to Fuller, who emerges after that position, I hope Travis E. Both of them 5* RB's, time to shine.

Not that it matters, but to clarify, Etienne was not a

Jun 15, 2017, 11:47 AM

5-star, but a 3 or 4 star who was rated anywhere from #13 to #26 RB in the country. Feaster, on the other hand, was ranked. #1 by some, and consistently in the top 3 RBs in the country with a 4 or 5 star rating. Both possess legitimate Spiller-like speed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jun 14, 2017, 9:18 PM

Trying to predict what is going to happen with a RB for our 18' class is the biggest mystery to me.

What happens with Zamir?

Can we flip a guy like Pledger, who was once high on Clemson but has really shown zero public signs of being shaky on his OU commitment so far since Stoops left? Are we interested in getting in the game with Dameon Pierce, the Top 10 back who just decommitted from Bama?

Can Clemson get in with Salhuddin who has already released a 'top group' but says his recruitment is still open? And how high on Clemson is he in the first place?

Is a guy from the next tier of RB's going to emerge and pick up an offer? i.e. The Lyn-J Dixon, Jahmir Smith, Chris Curry and others tier?

How far would the available RB talent have to drop before we consider not taking a back in this already small class?

Is Devon Lawrence our guy?

There's just not enough information to predict how this will all shake out yet. Things are still foggy at best. But that's what makes recruiting exciting, the developing stories.

I hope if we don't get a top guy that we just...

Jun 14, 2017, 9:24 PM

don't take a RB in this class.

Not take an RB in 2018?

Jun 14, 2017, 9:39 PM

That's crazy talk. We'll have 4 guys on scholarship this year and two are graduating (each with a year of eligibility left due to RS). More likely than not at least one if not both (Choice and Fuller) will leave after this season. It would be suicidal not to recruit a RB in the 2018 cycle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Not take an RB in 2018?

Jun 14, 2017, 10:21 PM

Next time Dabo calls me and asks my thoughts on the RBs, I'll be sure to let him know we are headed for disaster.

Re: Not take an RB in 2018?

Jun 14, 2017, 10:39 PM

We're not headed for disaster. The coaches will make an offer in 2018 even if we don't land Z. White. I was addressing the OP's suggestion that we skip a year should we not land White.

I bet Choice will be back.

Jun 14, 2017, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Not take an RB in 2018? ]

Who will we have? Feaster, Entiene, Choice, Fuller, and that walkon they like. I wouldn't mind with the tiny class if we don't take anyone if we don't have someone up to the quality we need. I think we will land someone quality though.

Fuller is a RS Junior in addition to Choice

Jun 14, 2017, 10:37 PM

One of those guys is bound to leave after 2017. Do we skip a recruit if we don't land White and go into 2018 with only 3 RBs on scholarship? I don't think that's wise and I seriously doubt the coaches would take that risk with how susceptible RBs are to injury. In addition, they'd want to have a RB as a red shirt in the system even if we keep all 4 going into 2018 with Choice and Fuller definitely gone after 2018 and possibly even Feaster who will be eligible for the draft in 2019.

Your suggestion that we not take an RB in 2018 just doesn't make any sense in my estimation.

They can give one to Darien Rencher*****

Jun 14, 2017, 10:57 PM

Re: I hope if we don't get a top guy that we just...

Jun 15, 2017, 11:57 AM [ in reply to I hope if we don't get a top guy that we just... ]

Agree with Carlsbad.

I've said before, our coaches must feel very good about our

Jun 14, 2017, 11:01 PM

situation at RB, both with who we've got now and the position we are in with who we are recruiting. Otherwise, I think we would have made a bigger push for some of the guys you mentioned.

- H. L. Mencken

Jun 14, 2017, 11:42 PM

On Feaster, you mentioned he's a 5.9 on Rivals, but 24/7 had him as one of the 15 best players in the country regardless of position, ESPN had him in their top 50 and the 24/7 composite that factors all of the services including rivals had him as the the #29 player and #1 All-purpose back, so I'd say he's not exactly on par, ratings wise as Salahuddin who is the #229 player in the 24/7 composite.

As for what will happen this year, obviously the staff thinks we still have a chance at White otherwise they would've moved on. Trust the staff - they know a lot more than we know. I think Devon Lawrence is a guy we feel very confident we can get if we offer, but I think we have a couple of guys after White that we would take over Lawrence. So my guess is if we miss on White, we'll offer the guy or two we like the next most and give him/them a chance to commit this summer and if not, go ahead and offer Lawrence and say that the first one to pull the trigger is our guy and we only have one spot.

If I was betting I'd say we take one back in 2018 and it's either Lyn-J Dixon or Devon Lawrence

Jun 14, 2017, 11:57 PM

Lawrence has an offer.

Why doesn't he take it?****

Jun 15, 2017, 12:01 AM

Jun 15, 2017, 12:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Talking talent...RB's ]

I was under the impression we weren't taking any commitments at RB until White decided because we only had room for one. I'd be curious if the staff would take a commitment from Lawrence at this point. I also just saw he apparently has an offer from Bama which I thought was surprising given his ratings by the various services. Do you know when we offered Lawrence?

Jun 15, 2017, 12:02 AM

As much as in would like to get White, I believe Lawrence is a good addition, and we have time and some flexibility there. What concerns me the most about our RB situation is TA leaving. Is it just me or did our improved RB play not also coincide with TA coming back to help coach. I hope some of his lessons have rubbed off.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2017, 12:26 AM

+1 Terry Allen was the coach that helped The Wayne Train break 2015 records. I got a chance to speak with Terry one day for a few minutes, during a work related service call. His love for the game & Clemson was evident. He said he was there for two reason: To finish his degree & to take Wayne Gallman to the next level. He talked about Gallman's potential as a " hard and violent runner ". He said that he wanted to instill all that into Wayne. Well, it worked.

Not that I don't believe in Elliot, I do. However Allen with his NFL experience, just took Gallman by the hand and showed him everything. We know the rest of the story. T.A will be missed for sure.

I think that Feaster will be the starting rb before the

Jun 15, 2017, 10:44 AM

first half of the season. Also, Burton Burns said that Etienne was the second rb on bama's board so I think he will end up surprising us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2017, 12:24 PM

We have two deep everywhere; just pray the injury curse doesn't strike our players or commits.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic