Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tajh Boyd or Charlie Whitehurst....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Tajh Boyd or Charlie Whitehurst....

Dec 18, 2013, 10:00 AM

Who ya got?

Pretty close, but I have to go with Boyd. We all know Whitehurst was the coot-killer, but it's pretty clear Boyd had a better career. Boyd played with better talent and coaching though.

I do think Boyd will do better in the NFL, but I'm not sure whether he can be a long-term starting QB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Charlie Whitehurst has had a great NFL career...

Dec 18, 2013, 10:26 AM

has made millions of dollars and will be able to walk when he's 50.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Charlie Whitehurst has had a great NFL career...

Dec 18, 2013, 10:30 AM

He's got one of the easiest jobs in the NFL. Good enough to be a backup but not a great starter so he will make about $1 million each season and easily play 10+ years. I believe this is his 8th NFL season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In San Diego no less

Dec 18, 2013, 11:01 AM

If I have a son, I hope he ends up being a career backup QB for the Chargers.

Modern day Don Strock

Dec 18, 2013, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Charlie Whitehurst has had a great NFL career... ]

i envy him

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I take Tajh over Clipboard Jesus for the NFL***

Dec 18, 2013, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Charlie Whitehurst has had a great NFL career... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Dec 18, 2013, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Charlie Whitehurst has had a great NFL career... ]

plus he has the largest collection of clip boards west of the Mississippi

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he also has a playoff win!***

Dec 18, 2013, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Charlie Whitehurst has had a great NFL career... ]

Dec 18, 2013, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Charlie Whitehurst has had a great NFL career... ]

Easy ...Charlie

Herm- that is a great point!***

Dec 18, 2013, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Charlie Whitehurst has had a great NFL career... ]

woody***

Dec 18, 2013, 10:28 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Woody was one of my favorites. His pleasant and

Dec 18, 2013, 7:25 PM

funny personality always made me smile. Even when he got cut from the nfl he was all jokes and smiles. Great guy!

Charlie***

Dec 18, 2013, 10:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the question is "who would you rather have on your team?"

Dec 18, 2013, 10:47 AM

then the answer is Tajh. He has far more heart than Charlie had. I also believe he has a much larger skill set.

I love Charlie for going 4-0...

Dec 18, 2013, 10:51 AM

...but Tajh has the much, much better overall body of work.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love Charlie for going 4-0...***

Dec 18, 2013, 10:58 AM

More heart than Charlie?

Dec 18, 2013, 7:16 PM [ in reply to If the question is "who would you rather have on your team?" ]

You forget the beating Charlie took in Orlando against Texas Tech...he just kept getting up and handing in there. Plus...he never looked rattled like Tajh does occasionally.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Charlie Whitehurst....

Dec 18, 2013, 11:13 AM

in all facets of the game.

Boyd will be lucky to get a 2nd contract in the NFL.

Charlie is/was a winner. Boyd woulda never survived the texas tech game, much less went on to be an NFL QB.

Not so sure that's fair to say, Boyd is a tough kid

Dec 18, 2013, 11:25 AM

he took a merciless beating in that LSU game and he kept getting up for more. His problem is, he usually chokes when the pressures on. LSU is the only game where he got knocked around that he didnt choke. But never question his physical toughness.

Re: Not so sure that's fair to say, Boyd is a tough kid

Dec 18, 2013, 12:23 PM

"LSU is the only game where he got knocked around that he didnt choke."

That's not true, either. There were other games where teams were getting into the backfield and Tajh won it for us, but we don't remember those games because we won them easily.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not even close

Dec 19, 2013, 12:50 AM [ in reply to Not so sure that's fair to say, Boyd is a tough kid ]

Boyd was dishing out some of those hits on QB runs. Charlie simply put his life in danger. He actually got a concussion during the game and still finished. Trainers wouldn't allow that nowadays.

^^^ potato ^^^***

Dec 18, 2013, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Charlie Whitehurst.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I take Charlie

Dec 18, 2013, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Charlie Whitehurst.... ]

Whitehurst played when the ACC was decent. Tajh has beat up on high school teams and has been inconsistent against good teams.

I'm not sure he can be a starting QB at all unless......

Dec 18, 2013, 11:13 AM

he handles pressure better than he did in the big games this season. It's so much more intense and quicker in the NFL than in college.

Hopefully, he'll get connected with a team with a good QB coach who will develop him correctly.

Charlie Whitehurst throwing to Sammy and Nuk with AE and

Dec 18, 2013, 11:23 AM

CJ as his RB's would have broken every ACC record there ever was. Especially since he played all four years too.

Sort of like, you know, Tajh actually did?

Dec 18, 2013, 12:18 PM

Whitehurst actually had some great WRs when he was at Clemson, even if they weren't quite on Sammy's level.

How about Charlie Boyd or Tahj Whitehurst***

Dec 18, 2013, 11:34 AM

Have liked all our better QB's..tajh has beautiful long ball

Dec 18, 2013, 11:47 AM

WHEN he has the time to throw it! GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boyd would have never survived Charlie's Texas Tech beating.***

Dec 18, 2013, 11:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Boyd would haveneversurvived Charlie's TexasTech beating.

Dec 18, 2013, 12:05 PM

I dont know about that but it was once of the most awful pummelings I've ever seen any qb take

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your other screenname already posted that

Dec 18, 2013, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Boyd would have never survived Charlie's Texas Tech beating.*** ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14810909

Seriously, though, Tajh is four inches shorter than Charlie but weighs about the same. With a more compact, thicker body, he is built to take more punishment than a guy like Whitehurst. Plus, as tough as Charlie is, I do recall him complaining about running the ball because "getting hit hurts."

I don't have any other screen name.***

Dec 18, 2013, 12:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Complaining?

Dec 18, 2013, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Your other screenname already posted that ]

Charlie was a running back part time in HS. He wanted to run the ball some but the coaching team didn't want it. I don't recall any complaints by Charlie...

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boyd, of course

Dec 18, 2013, 12:16 PM

He won a lot more games than Charlie. I do think that Charlie was a great pro- style QB, but I'm not so sure that he didn't have some pretty good supporting casts, too. Don't forget that for a couple of years Charlie was throwing to Derrick Hamilton, Kevin Youngblood, Aireese Currie, Roscoe Crosby, etc. We actually had a couple of stellar WR recruiting classes come through at the same time as Charlie.

F, marry, kill?***

Dec 18, 2013, 12:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Tajh Boyd or Charlie Whitehurst....

Dec 18, 2013, 12:59 PM

Dude the punishment he took against LSU was just as bad against a better team and he came away with the win!

Dec 18, 2013, 1:00 PM

Charlie only sniffed 10 games once, got to go with Tajh!!!

Charlie 100%***

Dec 18, 2013, 10:47 AM

nm

Whitehurst, and its not even close.***

Dec 18, 2013, 1:33 PM

And Boyd still couldnt be them even with a better

Dec 18, 2013, 1:59 PM

surrounding cast. WHITEHURST all day

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Charlie Whitehurst***

Dec 18, 2013, 2:47 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 18, 2013, 6:11 PM

Both were quality QBs IMO.

Whitehurst was taller, (which means a lot at the QB position) and handled pressure better. (especially considering he had less talent to work with)

However, I think Boyd is a little more mobile. (which is also important) and a better passer.

Both had strengths & weaknesses.

billy luckie***

Dec 18, 2013, 6:17 PM

Dec 4, 2021, 11:08 PM

It's unanimous...Charlie Whitehurst...

Whitehurst for me.***

Dec 18, 2013, 9:00 PM

Tajh for School Ambassor, Charlie for QB***

Dec 18, 2013, 9:05 PM

Dec 18, 2013, 9:09 PM

Charlie and it's not even close for me.

Dec 18, 2013, 9:18 PM

Charlie was the king of the 3 yard completion when you needed 4. He could beat the coots, but the coots that Tajh has faced is a different animal. Both had their moments, but Charlie had a "almost" air to him.

Dec 18, 2013, 9:27 PM

Why choose one or the other? Both have been great TIGERS and Charlie has had a long, if not spectacular career "carrying the clipboard" in the NFL. All Tiger fans should appreciate being witness to both of these QB's. I still remember having my ears ring for days after the Miami game when we lost in the 3rd OT. Charlie was a warrior. Tajh has had a much better offensive scheme and a 12 game schedule, but he has also provided some awesome memories. The Georgia game this year, LSU in the chicken bowl, the comeback at MD, etc. This is why we're all (or most) college football fans. GO TIGERS! Beat the Buckeyes!!!!

neither a nor b

Dec 18, 2013, 9:56 PM

c) Steve Fuller

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=9&threadID=1176852

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: neither a nor b

Dec 18, 2013, 10:44 PM

When you're right, you're right.

http://ryankantor.com/2013/09/05/five-greatest-qbs-in-clemson-history/

Whitehurst ....not even close.

Dec 19, 2013, 1:28 AM

But if you said Tajh or Woody I might have to go with Tajh.

Honestly, I would go with Charlie Whitehurst.***

Dec 19, 2013, 2:33 AM

Re: Honestly, I would go with Charlie Whitehurst.***

Dec 19, 2013, 3:19 AM

Absolutely, Whitehurst. Maybe not quite as gifted as Tajh, but he NEVER got rattled. He put himself in danger, made smart decisions and never, ever was intimidated by the chickens. The kid delivered, period.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic