Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: USA TODAY: Billions at stake on playing 2020 football season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

TNET: USA TODAY: Billions at stake on playing 2020 football season

Apr 15, 2020, 10:36 AM

USA TODAY: Billions at stake on playing 2020 football season

Football is the lifeblood of college athletic programs. With pundits and college officials assessing just how a 2020 football season may come about, USA TODAY p Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: USA TODAY: Billions at stake on playing 2020 football season

Apr 15, 2020, 10:59 AM

Two facts:

1. There will not be a normal CFB season
2. It would be utterly catastrophic to cancel the CFB season

I'm not optimistic. Like Gene Smith said, if it isn't safe enough for crowds, it isn't safe for players. Liability issues. Probably all 50 states have to agree (unlike the NFL). When the first few players test positive, the whole thing (if it gets that far) could collapse.

That all said, can't rule out a late, shortened season because so much is at stake.

We need a medical breakthrough in the worst way!

Apr 15, 2020, 12:54 PM

I sadly agree with everything you just said. I think the point about a player testing positive is a real factor here. If we somehow got a start to the college football season then it's hard to imagine the entire thing not shutting down if even one player were to test positive. Even if not, just imagine for a second what would happen if one player were to get it. As contagious as they say this thing is, it's hard to imagine it not then spreading to several other players on the same team, which would result in those players missing somewhere between 1-3 games. That's not even to mention it going through coaching staffs.

I think we'll sadly see the point of the players being unpaid get hammered home in a big big way to argue against putting the players at risk.

I disagree. I think America will be back to normal by

Apr 15, 2020, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: USA TODAY: Billions at stake on playing 2020 football season ]

football season. Things will begin opening back up by May 1st, possibly even earlier.

Re: I disagree. I think America will be back to normal by

Apr 15, 2020, 2:15 PM

I hope. Liability. Lack of cure. Lack of vaccine. Lack of understanding about the virus. One tragic note, particularly in the South, it is reported that deaths from the virus are much higher for blacks. Consider participation in football. I wonder how it can be done.

Apr 15, 2020, 2:45 PM

Where can we find a report that breaks the demographics down? I haven’t seen one

Apr 15, 2020, 3:05 PM

I'll see what I can find, but it's on a lot of the medical sites. Preliminary reports are not just pre conditions but studies are ongoing to see how much vitamin D deficiency plays. And most dark skin people are vit d deficiency.

Tried to post the links but North Carolina is starting to post demographic info, as well as Tennessee. There's a big push to release for all states. New Orleans has a report on their parish. As you probably know, it's been on the news sites.

If you really want to understand why, Google Dr John Campbell and watch his video on vitamin D. Link below states reports referenced above.

https://www-propublica-org.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.propublica.org/article/early-data-shows-african-americans-have-contracted-and-died-of-coronavirus-at-an-alarming-rate/amp?amp_js_v=a3&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15869776668629&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propublica.org%2Farticle%2Fearly-data-shows-african-americans-have-contracted-and-died-of-coronavirus-at-an-alarming-rate

Message was edited by: kerigantoo®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would imagine the black demographic is primarily made up of

Apr 15, 2020, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Re: I disagree. I think America will be back to normal by ]

folks older than college football players, with pre-exisiting health conditions (of which there is a higher rate amongst black folks), and not in the same type of physical condition as 18-22 year olds.

I think some folks are too hyper focused on worst-case scenarios. Sure, we need to be cognizant of "worst case" just as in any crisis, but the American machine will begin restarting by the beginning of May.

By August, things will be back to normal barring some major reoccurrence of the virus' explosion. We can't hold everything and everyone hostage until a vaccination is found. That's just not fiscally possible.

Re: I would imagine the black demographic is primarily made up of

Apr 15, 2020, 8:48 PM

Don't think anyone in this thread has focused on doomsday scenarios. Given the CDC restrictions and contact tracing, how would you handle the question I posed concerning the 14 day isolation. Can't hardly get more confined than a locker room so that pretty much shuts a team down for 2-3 weeks. That's been proven by the virus itself. ???

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2020, 3:00 PM [ in reply to I disagree. I think America will be back to normal by ]

As much as I really want to believe in your enthusiasm, 2003 and shirley points are valid. African American very high risk. They'll be a ton of pushback on all sports FB for that reason alone.

But the whole concept of control and contact tracing is isolate any potential outbreaks. So if one coach, player, manager, cheerleader etc tests positive, you have to isolate everyone for minimum 14 days. So what happens? Said team has to forfeit 2 games minimum... And depending on when lockdown occurred, could be 3 games.

If that happens to 1 team in each p5 conference, how could you have conference championship, playoff, bowls... That's fans or no fans scenario.

Better yet, what if that team was sec... Esecpn would be in an uproar. That being said, I'm with Dabo. Pray for a miracle.

Apr 15, 2020, 11:44 AM

Nice article but remember the school benefits from exposure and from students that want to come to Clemson and experience college football at a championship level. Football and IPTAY allow men and women student athletes to live their dreams of playing on the many teams that a major school like Clemson has. The academic side, that is the reason any school exists, goes on without football but the new softball team and it's great stadium may not be at Clemson without football for example. As much as we love football it funds the athletic department but not the university.

The entire concept of “going to college” is going to change

Apr 15, 2020, 12:23 PM

And change radically.

Apr 16, 2020, 6:58 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: USA TODAY: Billions at stake on playing 2020 football season ]

Curious if they also took into account the economic impact to the businesses in and around campuses during game weekend?

Better start training now to play with n95 or greater masks!!

Apr 15, 2020, 9:50 PM

Tough to breathe in those suckers! Truth be told, I’m still hoping for the best. We seem to have made positive strides and performed better than any virus model has shown, so maybe we can get to a point that is safe for fans and players alike. I’ve seen reports ranging completely opposite opinions. Back to school and playing sports by sept to distancing till 2022. Confirms nobody really knows what’s going to happen!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic