Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Reports: ACC has zeroed in on next commissioner
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,279

TNET: Reports: ACC has zeroed in on next commissioner

Dec 14, 2020, 9:29 AM

Reports: ACC has zeroed in on next commissioner

The ACC has found its next commissioner, per multiple reports late Sunday and early Monday. Yahoo Sports posted the news late last night that Northwestern athle Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not opposed to this

Dec 14, 2020, 9:46 AM

I like the idea of getting someone with no affiliation to any of the conference teams or from any of the footprint states. Certainly can't be any worse than Swoffie!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Reports: ACC has zeroed in on next commissioner

Dec 14, 2020, 9:47 AM

Phillips.. has been Northwestern AD since 2008, a longer tenure than all but 1 of his 20 predecessors at NU (Kenneth "Tug" Wilson was AD 1925-45). Phillips succeeded Mark Murphy - who became Green Bay Packers president - and has overseen unprecedented athletic, academic, community service & facilities development achievements, with the top Graduation Success Rate (GSR) in the FBS the last three years & a top-4 finish every year.

- William Weinbaum, ESPN

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can he at least change his name? That jersey is retired***

Dec 14, 2020, 9:48 AM

Dec 14, 2020, 11:04 AM

Fresh blood... An outsider with no lean toward a specific team... Great choice...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 11:37 AM

Yeah, but remember UNC Delaney and UNC Swofford hand picked this guy. I bet he's got a secret Tar Heel connection!!!

It's an omen***

Dec 14, 2020, 11:45 AM

Dec 14, 2020, 12:02 PM

I hope he has the cajones to tell ND to get in, or get out. We done dating, time for the shotgun wedding.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Dec 14, 2020, 12:05 PM

Personally I wanted a Southerner. Someone ingrained into southern football and a guy that knows that football is the side the bread is buttered. I wholeheartedly blame Swoffie for the ACC being not only behind but lapped in terms of athletic money. Yes the ACC may not be able to hold water to the SEC in football as a whole but the whole of the ACC from football to basketball to Olympic sports is as good as it gets. Swofford is a follower and is why the ACC is in the shape it is in and why the ACC Network was 5 years to late. We need someone who not only knows football but knows that is the money maker. Swofford has done nothing to enhance the ACC. He's a joke. He's the South Carolina of SEC football. If Notre Dame would join and FSU and Miami could get back to their glory days you're talking about a league in football that would be as good if not better than any other conference. You can't tell me Clemson, Notre Dame, FSU and Miami doesn't sound better than Bama, LSU, Georgia and Florida if FSU and Miami could get their crud together. i don't want some mid-western Chicagoan that knows nothing about football in the Southeast. Sorry just my opinion. I would have hated to lose him and glad he is still here but Jim Clements would have been a no doubt about it homerun and would have taken the ACC to new heights. That has nothing to do with where Jim is from but because of his character. Jim Clements just gets it. This dude the ACC has zeroed in on reminds me of Coach K just from the looks and that dadgum accent.

Thats a great point actually. The reason the SEC maintains

Dec 14, 2020, 12:25 PM

its success in football is b/c they don't hire people that don't understand that football is king. Not he's from the BIG 10 which sanctimoniously jumped the gun and tried to cancel their entire season this year b/c of what the political climate was trying to dictate for a Presidential election. The southern schools called BS on that and if they hadn't then we wouldn't have had a season this year. I don't want anyone with that type of thinking taking over the ACC.

Dec 14, 2020, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Reports: ACC has zeroed in on next commissioner ]

I disagree, the ACC does everything well and it isn't just football. First, it is about academics and athletics on the same footing. Play more (reasonable) sports and win too. Clemson plays more than just one sport.

Keep in mind Swoffy would fit your criteria of being a southerner who was a footballer....

Next, go back and see NW's success over the last few years - they guy does seem to have them succeeding based on NW's standards. They went 24 or so seasons without a winning record and have since notched more B10 title game appearances than the coots all-time.

Really, if you look at this guy logically, he is actually a good bet... but I don't trust Swoffy, everyone fools him... ok, maybe Jim might have it.

Facts: Football revenue is based on ratings. The SEC and

Dec 14, 2020, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Reports: ACC has zeroed in on next commissioner ]

BIG are mostly state schools with huge alumni bases, the ACC isn’t. Swofford was a football player at a southern university.

All the ACC ADs and Presidents make the decisions not Swofford.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Reports: ACC has zeroed in on next commissioner ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Great choice! I love it.

Dec 14, 2020, 12:52 PM

He is well thought of, has had leadership positions which prepare him well to be commissioner, and most importantly he doesn't have ties to any ACC schools.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,279
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic