Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Playing time breakdown: Clemson defense depth tested against Notre Dame
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

TNET: Playing time breakdown: Clemson defense depth tested against Notre Dame

Nov 9, 2020, 4:59 PM

Playing time breakdown: Clemson defense depth tested against Notre Dame

Clemson was put to the test and more in a 47-40 double OT loss at Notre Dame over the weekend, especially when it came to fielding a defense. The Tigers had sev Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why didnt Goodrich play...banged up?

Nov 9, 2020, 8:43 PM

looks like he traveled.

Re: TNET: Playing time breakdown: Clemson defense depth tested against Notre Dame

Nov 9, 2020, 10:11 PM

You know, after reading the article, the number of plays per individual, it is quite amazing we were in position to win the game twice. Our guys played with tremendous heart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Playing time breakdown: Clemson defense depth tested against Notre Dame

Nov 9, 2020, 11:53 PM

Word.

People want to fire TE, fire Caldwell, fire Dabo... ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2020, 6:24 AM

The main issue is two fold. 1) Our Defense - can’t stop a cold. BC put up 28 and we could have lost. Our LB’s seem lost and do not have the athletic ability. It’s good to give Brent’s son a scholarship, but he’s not mid-top tire and neither are the rest. Sure, we’ll get by on the ACC bottom dwellers, but will struggle against the top teams. Hopefully recruiting will address this issue, nothing on the cupboard that will for now. (40 points should be enough to win the game). 2) Blunders on offense; we gave BC a TD on offense the week before, another at ND. These both were 14 point swings, and more flubs with our other starters. We used to win with the other teams making these mistakes, now it is us, Is this coaching? Questionable play calling, which is on the coaches. Throwing at games end when we should run to eat the clock in a close game (BC), and WR screens/bubble screens instead of throwing downfield.

Unless we improve, the ACC Championship will be a repeat performance.

Go Tigers!

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2020, 8:56 AM

One thing to remember about the ND game.

The ND OL & DL was senior dominated. The OL center was a junior, all others were either 4th or 5th yr seniors. DL = 4 seniors, OL 4 seniors plus the 1 junior.

And, we were in it till the end. In fact, take away either of our 2 turnovers that contributed to points, and it's a different outcome.

Now look at the number of true freshmen that played starting, or significant, snaps.

Rematch will be a different story

Nov 10, 2020, 9:45 AM

While I am never "happy" with a loss, one thing I did learn about this game was:

This was a "back to the future" game. This was our 21/22 team matching up against a senior laden 2020 team. Impressed by our young guys and it looks like the culture and mindset is instilled looking forward. That being said, DJ and ETN just don't have that sync yet from basically 11 days prep. I can kinda excuse that...but I think it was the D that suffered the most with the frankenstein roster and BV still did a heck of a job but there were just more wrinkles.

Just take a breath for a moment...

Nov 10, 2020, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Playing time breakdown: Clemson defense depth tested against Notre Dame ]

1) Our defense hasn't been up the elite level we have come to expect but they made plays with a limited group. Same limited group as in BC game (which only gave up 21 btw, had some dumb luck for BC and our defense won the game for us at the end i may add). They didn't play great against ND but did hold them to fgs at times incl when the offense put their backs against the wall. Jake is getting better and did make an absolutely massive play to keep the game in our favor...and it was all him. Spector has done a nice job and Simpson is a true freshman. These guys played the entire game except for a couple of plays where McGuire filled in (who would never play otherwise).

2-3 years ago Skalski wasn't who he is now and I bet you Jake will be right there when he is a 5th yr senior.

As for the offense, playcalling is always questionable bc its not a perfect science. When it works out, no one complains...when it doesn't they are idiots.

We will improve and get guys healthy. If we make it back to the ACC Title game then I like our chances but yes, we may very well lose bc Notre Dame is really good.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic