Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Petition growing for Pass/Fail option at Clemson this semester
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

TNET: Petition growing for Pass/Fail option at Clemson this semester

Mar 22, 2020, 8:53 AM

Petition growing for Pass/Fail option at Clemson this semester

These are tough times as the coronavirus pandemic has shut down many things, including classrooms of higher learning. Clemson University has suspended all class Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Petition growing for Pass/Fail option at Clemson this semester

Mar 22, 2020, 9:15 AM

Plus a participation trophy, a gold star, a blue ribbon, and a juice box.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2020, 9:46 AM

lol. How does this work. Can any student just exclaim "I have passed'. That would be sweet! ??

Mar 22, 2020, 9:57 AM

they already got your money, why should they care.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully it's not too late to apply for my 3rd degree...

Mar 22, 2020, 10:13 AM

'cause I identify as a person, and a very special one as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hopefully it's not too late to apply for my 3rd degree...

Mar 22, 2020, 12:13 PM

What's your gender?

I'm one of the wickedly smart.***

Mar 22, 2020, 12:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2020, 10:02 AM

In my experience worrying about your GPA is overrated. Unless you plan on attending grad school or pursuing advanced degrees that may be a factor in your acceptance. Most employers want to know did you complete your degree? They see a person that can be given a task and complete it. I do not recall ever being asked what my GPA was by an employer. I had a handful of courses that were pass/fail back in my college days. (75-79)

Mar 22, 2020, 12:30 PM

turf2 said:

In my experience worrying about your GPA is overrated. Unless you plan on attending grad school or pursuing advanced degrees that may be a factor in your acceptance. Most employers want to know did you complete your degree? They see a person that can be given a task and complete it. I do not recall ever being asked what my GPA was by an employer. I had a handful of courses that were pass/fail back in my college days. (75-79)

When I graduated with my undergrad in engineering they didn’t ask about your gpa because they had your transcripts and the top companies interviewing on campus only allowed gpa’s 3.0 and above for interview slots. During my career I’ve interviewed many recent graduates and gpa very much acts as a filter for who gets an initial interview. Now if we are interviewing an experienced candidate the work experience now takes higher priority. The bottomline, atleast for an engineering career, is do well in college to open up doors that otherwise remain closed when you are trying to get started.

Mar 22, 2020, 2:11 PM

I agree, and for the kids to get the best of what Clemson promises as a college of higher learning and competing for the yearly ranking as one of the top universities. The school should have been closed and the students sent home until this COVID-19 pandemic was over, without lessening the in classroom learning with online teaching!!! With the online teaching to keep the graduation rate moving on schedule. IMO, that isn't all that much different than UNCheat graduating athletes using ghost classes....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The best technology companies to work for have minimum

Mar 22, 2020, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Petition growing for Pass/Fail option at Clemson this semester ]

GPA standards. And some are quite high.

weak minded and soft .***

Mar 22, 2020, 10:11 AM

Said every old person about every young person ever***

Mar 22, 2020, 10:36 AM

Mar 22, 2020, 10:11 AM

That's probably a good idea and most likely the approach that will be taken with public schools as well, especially with the elimination of standardized testing. While young people today are much more attuned to on line learning that my generation there is still probably a significant number who are more "hands on, visual, etc" learners. Also, the propensity and opportunity for cutting corners with on line learning is probably more prevalent.

Given that a lot of colleges and universities are waiving SAT and ACT requirements for 2020 admission, I would think a simple Pass/Fail option, given the world we live in, is probably a good idea. There's enough stress on us all right now.

Mar 22, 2020, 10:28 AM

Say what you want but my Son is an engineering major at Clemson and it is extremely difficult. He needs the classroom time and even some of the tutoring to do well. He’s not a “snowflake”. I know how hard he works. I don’t know about other majors but in engineering, if it not a C or better, it doesn’t count. Some concessions should be made for this unique situation.
And... stop painting all young people with the same broad brush.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2020, 10:36 AM

I agree with you Stodd, I have a friend whom I worked with
for many years. He has an Electrical Engineering degree
From Clemson and he told me that it is a very demanding
curriculum and I agree you need to be in the classroom
and hands on projects.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As an engineering degreed grad...

Mar 22, 2020, 11:54 AM

I can tell you that the classtoom is not where you actually learn the material. I am sure that they are still giving online classes which is hardly any difference at all than being in the classroom. The professor is presenting the material.

Engineering is demanding... because of the outside work you have to do. The professor presents it, then you go work on it for hours... typically 2-3 hours of studying for every hour of class.

This situation has not hardly changed anything as far as that is concerned.

Re: As an engineering degreed grad...

Mar 22, 2020, 12:09 PM

Most majors require a C or better in major classes to receive credit. That is pretty standard at any college or university. Students need to be given the option of taking anything and everything this semester pass/fail. Not all students have internet access at home. Some do not have any way to work except on their phones. Some may also have extra responsibilities at home - taking care of younger siblings/family members. Helping with home-schooling with younger individuals. We just don't know the hardships they may have now they are at home. Allowing students to opt for pass/fail classes this semester is not going to change them as a student or future employee! Let's be reasonable folks!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As an engineering degreed grad...

Mar 22, 2020, 2:21 PM [ in reply to As an engineering degreed grad... ]

If what you say is the cold hard facts, why waste money keeping classrooms up and running on a daily basis when just as good of a education can be gotten online. Are the classrooms just for jacking up the price for an education, or, are classrooms the path for a better education, what is it???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im not sure what your point is.

Mar 22, 2020, 2:42 PM

Everywhere is currently looking at going to all online. Even Clemson. Or at least according to a person in administration. Me personally, i think it would be a bad idea due to the furthering dismantling of community.

I have an employee who has his masters in engineering, which i am sure was more difficult than the bachelor's, and it was all online.

Re: Im not sure what your point is.

Mar 22, 2020, 4:16 PM

OK, I'm saying that if everything as far as teaching a course can be done just as well with online classes, why bother with having the costly up keep of having on campus classroom? Why haven't colleges gone to online teaching over the classroom if, the education is just as good as what they get with hands on teaching in a classroom?

I mean why don't colleges set up 12X12 rooms for professors to go in set up with a black board and a slide projector for giving examples, and just teach everything with online classes only. It seems that college would be much less expensive than the now classroom teaching. Right?

Cut out the on campus living and meals, power bills, gas bills, and it would be a heck of a lot cheaper to put your kids through college with them learning from home, and being able to record their classes on a disc or a Flash Drive that would be better than taking notes, but notes could also be taken and used... Hmmm, equals smarter kids that apply themselves. And the ones that don't, fail themselves in the field they choose....:)

Yeah, the lady I know in the administration

Mar 22, 2020, 8:37 PM

Has told me the Clemson i know will not be the same if my children goes there. She said they are already looking at online more and more for basically the reasons you mentioned. She thinks by the time my children go, about 12 years from now, it will pretty much all be online.

Again, I think that would suck from an experience/ community stand point. And i seriously doubt anyone going will see any savings that the university sees unless some other schools with prestige offer something significantly less. But that is just my speculation.

Bullcrap laziness.

Mar 22, 2020, 11:48 AM

Do your class work and study. And i am sure the preofessor is available by phone more than they were available for their typical office hours.

Re: Bullcrap laziness.

Mar 22, 2020, 12:10 PM

Yes, professors are talking with students on the phone and online regularly. Taking a class pass/fail is not making the work easier or reducing the amount of work. It just changes the type of grade they get.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah...

Mar 22, 2020, 1:19 PM

I guess in the grand scheme of things it doesnt ultimately matter. However, if i was a student wanting to bust my but for all A's... i would be upset.

Me, when i went, i was trying to graduate as fast as possible. I would look at what was going on in the class and decide how much time to put towards them. Some were easy and natural so i wouldnt study much for them to make an A or a B. Some i knew i would have to put in time just to make a C. Anywho, it was just a time management for me.

But i had sone guys in my class that wanted A's. And for them to end up the same satus as me for something i didnt put a whole lot of work in because i would be fine with a B... that just doesnt sit well with me.

After reading your comments, i do think mine were knee jerk reactions. In the end, it wont ultimately matter. A C was still credit and that will, im assuming, be the same criteria they could use for pass/fail. But, at that point, might as well leave it with the letter grades.

Anywho, doesnt matter in the long run.

Mar 22, 2020, 7:08 PM

Great for C and D students. Not great for kids with A's and high B's working to improve GPA this semester.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2020, 1:52 AM

I'm sure it'd be optional in the event Clemson even responded to it.

State Law Does Not Allow

Mar 22, 2020, 9:25 PM

Pass/Fail Classes to be used in meeting the minimum required yearly hours for Life and Palmetto Fellows Scholarships.

Unless you took 30 hours in the Fall Semester - you are SOL!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: State Law Does Not Allow

Mar 23, 2020, 1:53 AM

I doubt that requirement is enforced tbh. Many will fail their classes due to this, it'd be a terrible look.

This can hurt as much as it can help

Mar 23, 2020, 9:15 AM

My son had a rough fall semester and needs a good spring semester to keep his life scholarship. This plan could potentially keep him from pulling his GPA up enough to do that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This can hurt as much as it can help

Mar 23, 2020, 9:56 AM

I have been following this from the inside.

Strictly a new game with classes on line. It seems most students don't like it and their learning/
testing can decidedly vary from classroom results.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2020, 12:33 PM

This is a BS request.

Most professors grade against a curve, which means environmental factors that impact the entire class would automatically increase folks' grades relative to the performance of the class.

The curve maintains the A-F grading scale that then feeds GPA's. Students who work really hard will get the A they worked really hard for. Students who use the time to go out and party and spread the virus even more will not do as well.

I feel for students that do not have access to educational resources, but NOBODY has these, so everyone is on the same playing field here, and a curve would/should account for that.

Only exception, which should be handled on case by case basis, is if the student's home does not have internet or something that really does limit the ability to learn remotely more than others.

I'm sure there are other issues like labs that require chemical hoods and such that are already being handled separately as well.

I would support a petition to implement a mandatory curve in each class in the event professors don't already have one, but I don't support one to make classes pass/fail. That is dumb and encourages lower effort in classes and will only lower the overall value of my Clemson diploma.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic