Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #8 'Film review in 1940'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #8 'Film review in 1940'

Apr 9, 2020, 9:48 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #8 'Film review in 1940'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no live sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka ® submitted many of t Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder where that photo was taken?

Apr 9, 2020, 10:00 AM

The windows in the background resemble the old Fike Field House

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Speaking of Fike...

Apr 9, 2020, 10:15 AM

my grandfather (Class of 24) once told me that when the front portion of Fike was built, in addition to dressing rooms and offices for the athletic department, it also included about 20 dorm rooms.

I later learned that it was built with the money Clemson received following the 1940 Cotton Bowl win against Boston College.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wonder where that photo was taken?

Apr 9, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to I wonder where that photo was taken? ]

Coach Howard's office was on the left just inside the front door, and the ticket office was just across the hall. When he saw somebody buying tickets, he always came out and talked with them.

His white 62 Chevy was always parked out front and had tobacco juice all down the driver's side.

Thanks NHT...

Apr 9, 2020, 12:02 PM

I love these old photos and the stories behind them.

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #8 'File review in 1940'

Apr 9, 2020, 10:03 AM

I think that 4th member watching the film should be "Hawk" Craig ..... not Hank. His son Bob, from Florida, played here in the 70's, I think.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2020, 10:33 AM

The coaches offices had a window above the door to allow some light into the room. There was a sign on the basketball coaches office that read “if you can see inside come on in. Don’t bother to knock!” Said to be true but I never saw that and I was in Fike many many times.

Coach Howard said when the was replaced by Ingram that he better not change Death Valley to Hooties Hollar. True tale’

Apr 9, 2020, 10:28 AM

Nice Projector film of Trevor Lawrence running past the bucknuts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Apr 9, 2020, 10:31 AM

Graham Photo in Greenville used to do huge school football film developing business back in the day. With the advent of video tape that went away. And eventually the company I think

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love these old photos

Apr 9, 2020, 11:11 AM

But more importantly, I love that everyone used to dress so nicely all the time! I know one guy is in uniform, but still, shirt and tie - so great!

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #8 'Film review in 1940'

Apr 9, 2020, 12:48 PM

When I was at Clemson in the early 80's, they still had occupied dorm rooms in Fike.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

I was there from 81 to 88 (BS and MBA)...

Apr 9, 2020, 12:54 PM

and I definitely don't remember that.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Apr 9, 2020, 1:22 PM

ITiger Links is correct. It is Marion “Hawk”Craig who is my first cousin and was from Greenville. His nickname was due to his great defensive ability to get to the ball. He had a long and successful high school coaching career in Florida. There were two Craig brothers(second cousins) from Pickens, actually on a river farm just up the lake from the Duke Nuclear plant, who played football. One played for Clemson and the other played for the Gamecocks.
In 1946 when all the veterans returned from WW ll the basketball court in Fike was filled with bunk beds to house veterans. One of my brothers stayed there for a semester before getting into a temporary dorm that was constructed between Sikes and the highway.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 9, 2020, 2:18 PM

I recall Fike being used for housing but I go back to the 60s. I “got” to live in the tin boxes. Hot weather was not a fun time before A/C!

Apr 9, 2020, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #8 'Film review in 1940' ]

We might be distant cousins (or cousin's -in-law). I am kin to the Pickens County Craig's through marriage. Certainly an old old Pickens' name.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2020, 1:11 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #8 'Film review in 1940' ]

Basketball games at Fike were awesome. Out football players would sit on the front row under each backboard. When the opposing players inbounded the ball our football players would quickly reach out and pull the hairs on the opposing players' legs. Frank Standard of U of SC was a great target and would get very mad and dare our football players to "step out on the court." Great atmosphere in FIke.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic