Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #5 '1972 Harcombe Common'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #5 '1972 Harcombe Common'

Apr 6, 2020, 9:38 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #5 '1972 Harcombe Common'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no live sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka ® submitted many of t Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember how it looked just like this - remember going....

Apr 6, 2020, 10:36 AM

through the line and getting my food and then handing my paper meal ticket to the person at the end of the line. They would mark whichever meal/day you were eating - nothing electronic like it is today.

Doesn't seem this long ago.

Re: I remember how it looked just like this - remember going....

Apr 6, 2020, 7:27 PM

Yep, the old hand held hole punchers were the way meal tickets were dealt with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #5 '1972 Harcombe Common'

Apr 6, 2020, 10:40 AM

Two things I recall about eating in the dining hall, during the 1962-1966 time frame.

* Seem to recall you were only allowed to take one dessert. If you wanted two, you had to somehow sneak the second away by hiding it on your tray.

* Sitting in the dining hall the first few months my freshman year and hearing, "Up rat, give me a "C-L-E-M!". Remember one meal participating in 18 cheers.

Food choice back in those days was pretty darn limited, compared to that as far back as 15-20 years ago, and certainly today. Couldn't believe the variety being served at lunch my last visit there. We big eaters really appreciate that.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 11:36 AM

Harcombe, great breakfast for the day- grits, eggs bacon, sausage, cheese, fruit, cereal, great cold milk.... for $1.00. WOW! They said it was good for us back then! Now, heart attack on a plate? Easy To skip lunch and go to all classes and labs. Great times. Remodeled in ~1977.

Apr 6, 2020, 12:21 PM

I think they were right back then that it was good for us. Look at us now - still going strong!

Is the PHD still a thing?

Apr 6, 2020, 11:42 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Apr 6, 2020, 11:43 AM

I’m from the Class of ‘72- the food was horrible

Yeah, breakfast was the best meal of the day by far... kinda

Apr 6, 2020, 12:20 PM

hard to screw up scrambled eggs and bacon. I remember the names we had for some meals... "mystery meat" and "sh!t under a shingle". We swore that they rotated the same hamburger patties for 3 days. 1st day - just plain ol hamburgers. 2nd day - cover it in gravy and call it Salisbury Steak. 3rd day, it was the "shingle" laid on top of a pile of rice or something. LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Apr 7, 2020, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #5 '1972 Harcombe Common' ]

You are FOS...must have been a mama's boy...the food was great and you could go back for seconds...pork chop and steak nights were the best!

I still have my 1975 meal card & ID, photo attached.

Apr 6, 2020, 11:49 AM

Not showing the little paper ticket inside because it has my name & SS number. It has all the little punched out holes that they did for every meal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: I still have my 1975 meal card & ID, photo attached.

Apr 6, 2020, 12:21 PM

??

I remember being able to go back for unlimited refills

Apr 6, 2020, 12:10 PM

(except for steak and shrimp). I'd eat three hamburgers or six hot dogs. Wish I had that metabolism today. One night we had a contest to see who could eat three fully complete meals, then go out to the track by Riggs and run a mile under six minutes. We did it and nobody hurled.

Re: I remember being able to go back for unlimited refills

Apr 6, 2020, 12:23 PM

Yep. Full plate of food, bread and dessert then all the glasses of tea or milk you could fit on the tray!

Apr 6, 2020, 4:46 PM

I was 4 years old here. I didn’t like liver with onions so I know I didn’t choose that. Love the Juke box.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Apr 6, 2020, 6:00 PM

OMG. Thursday night was fried chicken night. Good memories

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 6, 2020, 8:01 PM

Source of best “sleds” on snow days......a few days later after the snow melted you would see them scattered all over campus. Good Times !!!

Apr 7, 2020, 9:11 AM

Had friend on snow day that rode a tray down the hill to the stadium...at the bottom he could not stop, hit the curb and threw him into the chain link fence right about where the entrance is now to howards rock...he was wearing a t shirt and had the chain link stripes on his back...that's a steep hill and you could get lots of momentum...used broom from your dorm room to steer!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic