Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #155 'Off-campus store'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #155 'Off-campus store'

Sep 3, 2020, 9:06 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #155 'Off-campus store'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this time with little or no sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka® submitted many of the pho Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #155 'Off-campus store'

Sep 3, 2020, 9:47 AM

Great pic, great story. ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Called it Red's in the 70s

Sep 3, 2020, 10:25 AM

Sort of a local hangout in the high school days. There were some pinball machines and video games if I recall correctly.

Near brush with fame - One night Danny Ford's Jaguar pulled through the drive-thru. Danny was NOT driving. The passenger? Dan Marino! It must have been his recruiting trip. Quick stop at Red's before the evening activities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Called it Red's in the 70s

Sep 3, 2020, 11:44 AM

Thanks for calling it Red's. I looked at the photo and recognized it immediately but couldn't remember the name. Sometimes I had to ask Red if he had a certain item and he would remember where it was among his crowded store.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2020, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Called it Red's in the 70s ]

Was this location operated by Whirl around 1977 as a watering hole. Whirl was of Lester’s fame...

Sep 3, 2020, 12:37 PM

As I recall, it was still Red Cook's (Red Taylor?) place at the time. Not really a bar, but beer was sold and consumed onsite (legal?). I think a car wash is there now. Did Whirl open up a place downtown?

I really miss the Tiger Den.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2020, 1:43 PM

The place i recall Whirl operating was on the right going towards central just past the hwy 76 intersection. Reds sounds Like it is on the Other side of 93

Sep 3, 2020, 2:07 PM

Sounds like it may be further down 93 past the 123 intersection. Where Sardi's is now. Maybe it is still there, but a backroom. Goober's?

Was a small gas station/store (Martin's) when I grew up within walking distance.

Whirl's?

Sep 3, 2020, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Called it Red's in the 70s ]

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/i-have-a-questionIs-Sardis-Den-and-Goobers-the-same-122618

Sep 4, 2020, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Called it Red's in the 70s ]

I miss the Tiger Den too. Was there the night they closed. Sad night to say the least. Snake told us to take whatever we wanted, except the pinball machines and puck pool game (how I would love to have that)! I had the copy of their beer license but have lost it over the years.

There's an idea for a historical picture. Mintaka, got any of the Tiger Den?

Sep 3, 2020, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Called it Red's in the 70s ]

Great story, Danny and Dan must have been starting a road trip! Perfect location for the start of a road trip with a drive through beer window! Perfect location in the triangle between 76, 93 and 123. Got beer to go at Red's and kegs down the road if we were staying in town for the weekend!

A friend used to get a dozen or so live minnows at Red's out of the tank, and put them in his aquarium to feed his pet Piranha.

Sep 3, 2020, 10:58 AM

The house in the background was where my dad (George Webb class of '64) first lived when he was born in 1942. My grandfather was a professor of microbiology.

Sep 3, 2020, 11:34 AM

Where was it located? I was at Clemson in 1980-84.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Sep 3, 2020, 12:09 PM

If you headed to Clemson from Anderson on 76 and exited to 93 before reaching campus, it was practically right across 93 at the intersection.

Sep 4, 2020, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #155 'Off-campus store' ]

It was there as I was in school during the same time period. Summer of '83, I lived part time in one of 3 or 4 mobile homes across the street. Would walk over there to get beer and snacks. I think it was called something different then, but everyone still referred to it as Red's.

Wrecked my car there ....

Sep 3, 2020, 12:57 PM

Friday afternoon. A hard week of classes; getting ready to hit road to Cola for hook up with Coot girlfriend. So Reds was pretty convenient especially since it was pouing down rain. So; I grab the six pack from window and circle around the back and pull up to 93. Raining like crazy; Just didn’t see that gray car hauling butt down 93 into campus. Heck; if his lights had been on might have helped. Anyway; took a hit into my drivers door. Both cars totalled. No injuries; days before ambulance chasers; but bummer start to weekend. But hey; bought many a six pack at Reds after that undeterred.

Sep 3, 2020, 4:34 PM

When I was a freshman at Clemson in 1981, the place was called "No Names Grocery" or just "No Names." At that no gasoline was sold. I believe it was there through at least all of 1982, then later abandoned at some point. What a fond memory, I used to walk there from Thornhill Village!

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic