Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #114 'Watching Clemson games on TV in 70s'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #114 'Watching Clemson games on TV in 70s'

Jul 24, 2020, 11:36 AM

LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #114 'Watching Clemson games on TV in 70s'

TigerNet will be posting several historic Clemson photos during this difficult time with no Clemson sports. Long-time TigerNet member Mintaka® submitted many of Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #114 'Watching Clemson games on TV in 70s'

Jul 24, 2020, 12:09 PM

Oh yes I remember the rabbit ears in the tin cans. There were at least 12 of us in one room in 1977 watching our Tigers play the chickens. We had to take turns holding on to the antenna to get reception. That was my first Clemson-Carolina game on tv. I will never ever forget “the catch” by Jerry Butler to win the game.

Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #114 'Watching Clemson games on TV in 70s'

Jul 24, 2020, 7:41 PM

Agree....I too was a freshman in 77. That catch by Butler was unreal. Great time to be a Tiger

Jul 24, 2020, 12:24 PM

How many students fell ofF the ledges during those years??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2020, 2:06 PM

We never had to hold an antenna on the ledge but it would stay fuzzy until someone touched the antenna and became part of it. Lol. We finally solved the problem when we got a longer antenna cable and put the antenna on the roof.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: LOOK: Clemson Historic photo #114 'Watching Clemson games on TV in 70s' ]

Quite a few fell, usually inebriated, sleeping on the ledge! The drinking age was 18 in those days. The only death I remember was a Johnstone student diving off Martin Hall head first onto a bike rack. Destroyed a heavy duty bike rack. The TV reception was awful in Johnstone because all the exterior walls were made of sheet steel, blocking reception. If you were on the wrong side, nothing helped reception. Most student TV’s were 13” in those days, smaller than a laptop monitor today.
A 19” was big time, and usually had a crowd for any occasional Away game on TV. We usually listened to away games on the Radio. Big games like Oklahoma and Alabama on the road, no TV.

Jul 24, 2020, 3:22 PM

I was on F2, and my dad had picked up an old TV from the pawnshop in Greenville. We were able to watch Bonanza before going to the dining hall for supper and the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson before going to bed. However, they were all horribly fuzzy. Well, we had a tree outside the room across from the fire station and we decided that if we could get a wire into that tree as an antenna it would give us a clear picture. Problem was there wasn't a limb within 10 ft of the ground. Someone was just going to have to jump off of the ledge with the wire attached to their pants. Somehow I was volunteered to jump...and somehow I made it. However, the picture didn't get any better. Years later we were up for a football game and I was telling my wife this story so we went over to the dorm. That tree must have been 10 ft. away from the side of the dorm! Only a fool would have tried to make that jump...and lived to tell about it.

Jul 24, 2020, 3:38 PM

great story, thanks for sharing!

Jul 24, 2020, 8:27 PM

We even tried drilling holes in the building frame and screwed the wires from antennae in to use whole building as antennae

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2020, 11:44 PM

By the time we hit the '80s, i lived on 29N out of Anderson and had a big Channel Master VHF antenna and a HUGE 6'UHF tubular dish that could skip signals from Charleston and Atlanta most every night. A hurricane in the gulf might give a snowy signal from Texas or Oklahoma... There was a national DX club that logged signals sent in by members. It was a simple hobby but a lot of fun...Still can be done today, but digital signals are all or none...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic