Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Herbstreit says Buckeye schedule a disadvantage, defense as-is won't stop Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

TNET: Herbstreit says Buckeye schedule a disadvantage, defense as-is won't stop Clemson

Dec 29, 2020, 10:43 AM

Herbstreit says Buckeye schedule a disadvantage, defense as-is won't stop Clemson

ESPN lead college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit understands Dabo Swinney's view on his alma mater and how they should be ranked. He didn't even really protes Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

quit with the "if clemson did this would dabo..." garbage

Dec 29, 2020, 10:47 AM

fatt is clemson played basically a full season minus a game or two so that argument is moot...and ohio state did play a half a season with like 3 bye weeks sprinkled in to boot

Herbstreit IS FULL OF IT

Dec 29, 2020, 10:49 AM

true.. you have a lack of experience.

That is it.. 1 disadvantage to playing 6 games.

advantages
-You only had 6 chances to lose. Ask Florida what it is like having to play crappy, 3 win teams.
-You only have 6 chances to get the covid.. Ask Cincinnati what COvid protocol did to their rankings
-You only had 6 chances to get your players injured. Ask Clemson what happened in Southbend when half the D was hurt.
-You had 5 extra weeks to get injured players healthy. Ask ND what happened when Clemson was able to get the team healthy.
-The other team only has 6 games of tape to analyze your schemes
-You have 10-11 games of tape to analyze the other team's schemes

that is 6 advantages vs 1 disadvantage.

In most places 6 >1.. But Kirk graduated from The Stupid State so his maf aint to gooder.

Message was edited by: GeeVille Tiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Herbstreit IS FULL OF IT

Dec 29, 2020, 10:56 AM

What about a lack of tape?

In any case, it does seem that teams with fewer games and greater gaps in their schedule are not playing as well as teams with more games and fewer gaps.

Re: Herbstreit IS FULL OF IT

Dec 29, 2020, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Herbstreit IS FULL OF IT ]

I do think that 6 games would be more of an advantage than disadvantages if they were a better team. That being said it doesn't give them the time to improve. I don't think that we were the best team 6 games into the 2018 season but we definitely were when it counted.

I am not sure that they are one of the 4 best teams, but they get in based on the name. I am good with that and don't understand why anyone here is complaining. I like that we get to play an inferior team and the fact that it is OSU makes it even better. Embrace it. It will be fun to listen to all of the excuses on January 2nd.

Re: TNET: Herbstreit says Buckeye schedule a disadvantage, defense as-is won't stop Clemson

Dec 29, 2020, 8:19 PM

I'll add, extra time to prep for the teams everyone knew they were going to face in the playoffs, us and 'bamer.

Re: TNET: Herbstreit says Buckeye schedule a disadvantage, defense as-is won't stop Clemson

Dec 26, 2012, 9:19 PM

My first thought was: "he is trying to rally the Buckeyes by saying that"! How? Because he is an alum of Ohio St. it probably gets into a different headspace of that coaching staff!

Also remember, this is the man who has complained about "lack of variety" in CFB. So, he wouldn't want to see another Alabama vs. Clemson rematch as he has already spoken out how college football is being ruined by only having the same teams play for the championship yearly!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 11:57 AM

I suppose if Herbstreit lacked logic and chose the buckeyes saying they were highly motivated, you would have called him a homer. So when he says the buckeyes are nowhere near as good as they were last year and picks Clemson, he also gets called a homer? Must suck being him.

Agree... I'm not following some of these posters... ???***

Dec 29, 2020, 2:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 11:25 AM

Herbie tries reverse psychology this time. It wont work either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2020, 11:53 AM

Herbstreit defends buckeyes and says they are going to win: Wow, Herbstreit is such a homer.

Herbstreit says buckeyes are not as good as they were last year and does not think they can stop Clemson: Wow, Herbstreit is such a homer that he is pulling out jedi mind tricks and using reverse psychology to motivate the buckeyes.

Come on guys, we can do better than this.

Dec 29, 2020, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit says Buckeye schedule a disadvantage, defense as-is won't stop Clemson ]

It's not the first time he's used reverse psychology.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 29, 2020, 2:51 PM

It's not the first time he's used reverse psychology.

Yep. I think some people are apparently in the dark about Kirk Herbstreit being an Ohio State Alum. Born and raised in Ohio I believe(Centerville).
He can't talk like that without repercussion. Most folks who know that football players often look for added extra motivation understand "trying to stir the pot in that way"! I.E. having an alum say Clemson was this and that and so on.
It gets those players and coaches to a point where they just want to go all out like they wouldn't have w/o that extra push.

Again, i.m.o just my opinion! I am not forcing it on anybody. Call it what it is: "message board talk"! What happens on the message board stays on the message board! It certainly doesn't impact anyone's life. This is commentary and opinions on football and coaches and media types! And, that's it frankly! Those who can handle that - get it. Others go on useless "fits"!

Herbstreit doing this however is news because he is a polarizing figure and again an OSU alum making those comments!

Dec 29, 2020, 5:43 PM

The winner of this game goes to the NC game, Ohio State has talked constantly of wanting revenge for last year, and Dabo ranked them 11th while saying Ohio State shouldn’t be in the CFP at all. If they still need additional motivation after all of that then nothing Kirk has to say is going to make a bit of difference.

Dec 29, 2020, 5:54 PM

The winner of this game goes to the NC game, Ohio State has talked constantly of wanting revenge for last year, and Dabo ranked them 11th while saying Ohio State shouldn’t be in the CFP at all. If they still need additional motivation after all of that then nothing Kirk has to say is going to make a bit of difference.

I can agree with that!

Though - I still think what I posted earlier to be the absolute case. Despite his sons being on the Clemson squad ( Walk Ons and not playing much mind you ).

They should indeed have plenty of motivation! But, let's say Eric McClain said that about Clemson. I know in the back of his head he would want to be sending out a "challenge" via social media. Coaches are famous for trying to find all sorts of external motivation. I am just saying to suggest it's not within the scope of possibility is unreal!
Not when coaches have literally written books on the many ways they have used to motivate their team to give them that extra juice. Not when anyone who has seen or has played or been around enough football can tell you - sometimes the more inspired team wins! Especially if they can sustain that energy for four quarters of football.

I agree though - they shouldn't need it.

Dec 29, 2020, 11:45 AM

Blah blah blah, talk talk talk. I believe we will show up and put it on them big time, and in doing so shut their mouths! Go Tigers!!! ??

Herb, if you really believed

Dec 29, 2020, 1:35 PM

what you stated, why in the heck did you rank Ohio State #4 most of the season! Either your ranking is not what you really believed or your comments about this game are not true! Period!

Go Tigers!

Re: Herb, if you really believed

Dec 29, 2020, 1:40 PM

Mike28712 said:

what you stated, why in the heck did you rank Ohio State #4 most of the season! Either your ranking is not what you really believed or your comments about this game are not true! Period!

Go Tigers!

His comments are "bravo sierra" period.

He wants the bucknuts to win and is trying to fuel their fire. Flame on bucknuts!

The whole poor mouthing disadvantage take is weak! Ohio State plays in "ye ole powerful Big 10 where every team is fiercely good and deeply talented"! Pahhh-lease! He and several others have pushed that and simple look back at recruiting rankings tells a much different story!

Whatever! Just spot the ball. No kick off - we'll give the bucknuts the choice right now! Spot the ball!

Some of you will whine regardless. You just need a trigger

Dec 29, 2020, 1:54 PM

Herbie can't win.

Most of his comments were just fine but whatever he says will get blasted.

Let's grow up and not be so hypersensitive and insecure about everything.

I seriously get it when others say Clemson football fans are sore winners who are scared of every possible slight. In reality, it's just a very loud few that give the rest of us a bad name.

I look forward to playing them and proving it on the field again. Whether the talking heads are right or wrong, biased or fair, I really don't give a flip what they say. They can't hurt my feelings about my team.

To borrow an MLB phrase, "play ball". It will be settled on the field Saturday.

Re: Some of you will whine regardless. You just need a trigger

Dec 29, 2020, 2:00 PM

MoCity It will indeed be settled on the field. This my friend is a message board where opinions get typed out.
Nobody is suggesting any of the "messages" go into the game plan. Just as you indicate you don't care about what others say: "who cares if people can't separate letting loose on a message board"?
It's talk! None of us have any bearing on the outcome of the game. We just talk about how we think the game is going to play out. We talk about broadcasters, sorry! Anything college football - we talk about on "gasp" a "Message Board"!
It isn't law and it is not insecurity or hypersensitivity! It's opinions being expressed.

I'll take a bit farther on your comments regarding "what other people think about Clemson fans"! If it were on a general message board like ESPN, "I might could agree"! But this, this here is TNET a message board pretty much centered on Clemson Tigers football. It's Clemson Tigers fan perspective "message board"!
Somebody needs to grow up for sure!

Dec 29, 2020, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Some of you will whine regardless. You just need a trigger ]

So you think he's impartial to the point of not hoping his alma mater wins? OK.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I think what Herbie said in the article is fair

Dec 29, 2020, 8:04 PM

regardless of who he's pulling for.

It's possible for someone to offer a fair analysis when wanting one side to win. Unfortunately, not all talking heads are mature enough to do that.

Considering he has two sons on Clemson, I'm not certain what side Herbie is rooting for. I sure hope he cares more about his boys than his alma mater.

Dec 29, 2020, 5:25 PM [ in reply to Some of you will whine regardless. You just need a trigger ]

Has anyone stopped to think that 2 of his sons play for Clemson?

Dec 29, 2020, 2:20 PM

Personally I think our 11 game schedule worked to our advantage. Due to injuries it allowed us to build depth. I honestly don’t think we would be ready with all the freshmen we’re playing on just a six game schedule.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Dec 29, 2020, 5:54 PM

I actually agree with Kirk and have posted similar thoughts over the past few weeks. I look at our very own team over the past several seasons. Our teams have looked night and day better by this point of the season compared to early and mid-season over the past several years. I think that’s likely true of any well coached team.

I say that strictly from a team improvement viewpoint, and obviously not in terms of the challenges faced in winning from week to week during the season, dealing with injuries, etc...

As an example in 2018, I don’t think it’s as likely that Lawrence and Ross play the same as they did in the CFP had they only played 6 games before that point.

I’d also venture to guess that our coaches would rather have had more than 6 games this year to figure out our OL issues and develop our young DL.

It may not be fair that Ohio State is where they are after only playing 6 games, but I think the lack of experience from actual games this year will work against them on Friday.

Dec 29, 2020, 6:17 PM

clemson2003® Agreed!

What Kirk is saying isn't wrong! I've been saying it since they got into the playoffs! Great example of Lawrence and Ross after 6 games. I would even add any non-freshmen who were first time starters!

So that established.

I am just pointing out I think you say that in a different way as an Alum of OSU. Because, it is either setting up the excuse for his alma matter or it's setting the table for "high buckeye praise"!

None of the whole - who should be favored makes a difference - "if Ohio State wins"! It will only add to an already bloated perception of Ohio State Football i.m.o.

But, he's right. Your right. I am right because that's what I have been saying! Yet, for what it's worth the FPI on ESPN has this as a toss up ( 50%/ 50% ). So coming from an alum who is in the media in a game that is perceived to be that close - does "look like some slick reverse psychology manipulation"! Although as you said, and I agree and well as Kirk - "it's true"!

So, what would I have had him say you may ask 03.

"The Buckeyes will have to play a perfect game if they hope to upset Clemson who I believe is the better team"! And left it at that as a neutral analyst. Not unless asked the why of the statement should he go into it or just go: "no comment"! As an alum of the school - plus an analyst I recognize it must be hard to be neutral. If you believe he is - good for you. I am not trying to tell anyone what to think. I don't care. Some people discern better than others is how I see that is all.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic