Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson guard to transfer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson guard to transfer

Nov 2, 2018, 3:05 PM

Clemson guard to transfer

CLEMSON, S.C. –– Redshirt-sophomore guard Anthony Oliver II will transfer from Clemson University, head coach Brad Brownell announced on Friday. “I’d like to th Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson guard to transfer

Nov 2, 2018, 3:09 PM

I was surprised he didnt leave after his moms departure. To his credit he hung in there. I am assuming the new guys coming in are good enough that he saw little pt in his future.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both Newman and Tyson seem to have passed him

Nov 2, 2018, 3:14 PM

Good kid. Good luck.

Re: Both Newman and Tyson seem to have passed him

Nov 2, 2018, 3:41 PM

Newman would have definitely played more minutes this season.. kid has a ton of potential

Was hoping....hoping, he was the answer to Devoe***

Nov 2, 2018, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson guard to transfer ]

Nov 2, 2018, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson guard to transfer ]

It's the free agency that we call college basketball. Basketball players for some reason have no concept of team. If they don't play within the first year or 2 they believe the coach is holding them back from what is inevitably going to be a long and prosperous career in the NBA. Let's face it, Clemson isn't some powerhouse contender year in and year out and heck they're not even a contender to make the tourney every 4 years so for Clemson players to think they should be playing more befuddles me because if you aren't playing at Clemson then it's not the coach or the school, it's you. You're not as good as you think and I hate to take a shot at my school but it's the truth. After saying that there are many reasons for a guy to transfer and it could have nothing to do with basketball but personal reasons. My whole thing is basketball in general not Oliver. He just kind of got stuck in between me and my thoughts on college basketball. Of course I'm a guy that thinks if the coaches, AD's and schools aren't going to force the hand of the NCAA to clean the sport up then the people/fans should by not watching but it won't happen because most don't care enough. Eventually though if it's not taken care of the product is going to get so bad it will take years or decades to get it back but oh well instead of fixing the leak we'll wait until the levy fails.

Nov 2, 2018, 4:15 PM

Basketball isn't like football where guys are subbed in and out a decent amount, and 40-50 players are in each game. I'm positive AJ Oliver doesn't see himself as an NBA guard, but I am sure that he loves playing basketball. Why not go somewhere else that he can play more and have some fun?

Sure it is a team game, but you can't just hold the kid back from enjoying his college experience because he got in a bit over his head talent wise.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2018, 5:21 PM

I see what both of you are saying. TA said he wasn’t calling Oliver out but basketball in general and I too feel by and large it’s more of a me first sport. Or at least it seems that way, and I’m not calling any particular person out in general. Just seems like all the time a bunch of players are transferring.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've benefitted pretty well from that

Nov 2, 2018, 9:27 PM

Four of our starters this year will be transfers

I hear what you're saying, but I think he gave it his all

Nov 2, 2018, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson guard to transfer ]

He graduated early from high school so that he could get to Clemson and redshirt his first year. By all accounts, he worked hard his redshirt year and gave himself the best chance to contribute and play as a redshirt freshman. Unfortunately, he didn't get as much playing time last year as he hoped, and he had fallen behind some of the incoming freshmen on the depth chart.

I don't blame him for transferring. I'm sure he would've loved to stay at Clemson, but he loves basketball and wants to play. He has represented Clemson well, and can certainly say that he worked hard and gave it his all. I wish him the best in his future endeavors.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 2, 2018, 3:10 PM

Oh basketball? Nevermind.

Oh just another lame post by someone who brags

Nov 2, 2018, 10:41 PM

about not liking basketball. Nevermind.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 5, 2018, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson guard to transfer ]

Not basketball, Clemson Basketball.

Nov 2, 2018, 3:14 PM

Thanking everyone and wishing them well, that is 5e. Last way to transfer from a program.

he was huge in latter part of season

Nov 2, 2018, 3:53 AM

hurts transferring this late

Not really, unless there's a major injury

Nov 2, 2018, 9:26 PM

Newman is the back up 2 and Trapp can play there as well. Tyson the back up 3 and Newman can play there as well. Just means we're playing freshmen instead of a relatively inexperienced soph

We'll have 3 guards signed for next year on 11/14.

Nov 2, 2018, 3:26 PM

Hopefully will turn out well for everyone. Pretty much a normal thing now and afraid cfb is headed in that direction as well.

Btw- thanks for the clickbait! lol. Could have said Tiger bball guard transfers...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you honestly think football when guard is mentioned?

Nov 2, 2018, 10:42 PM

I think basketball when I hear guard or center, but maybe that's because I like basketball and those are prominent basketball positions. In football, those positions are not as prominent (or not as popular, at least).

Message was edited by: Judge Keller®

Nov 2, 2018, 7:24 PM

Wish him the best wherever he decides to go. Best to him. Thank you for your time here. Go Tigers!!!

Nov 2, 2018, 7:41 PM

Would have liked to see him get more time in the exhibitions to see what he could do this year. He had a great few minutes against Syracuse last year and he just didn't get that many minutes last year.

Nov 2, 2018, 7:44 PM

There’s a reason for that

Just don't know if he's athletic enough to guard

Nov 2, 2018, 9:30 PM

People at this level

Maybe he should have played his SR. year of HS

Nov 2, 2018, 8:44 PM

He could have earned game experience & maturity...a nice talent, but not ready for ACC level of play.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic