Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson Athletic Hall of Famer passes away
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson Athletic Hall of Famer passes away

Oct 22, 2020, 4:57 PM

Clemson Athletic Hall of Famer passes away

CLEMSON, S.C. — Clemson Athletic Hall of Famer Bill Mathis, a halfback who holds the distinction as the first Clemson player ever to win a Super Bowl, passed aw Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson Athletic Hall of Famer passes away

Oct 22, 2020, 5:27 PM

sorry he passed, I know he was a good one.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw Bill play before I reached my 10th birthday...

Oct 22, 2020, 8:56 PM

The backfield was Harvey White (QB), Doug Cline (FB), and Bill Mathis and George "Pogo" Usrey (HBs). Those were the formative years of my developing and undying love of Clemson Tiger Football. I remember Bill catching a pass from Joe Willie Namath when he was with the NY Jets. Slo-mo replay had just come into play, and it clearly showed him catching the "back-end" of the ball as it zipped past him. And remember, in those days, receivers didn't wear the sticky, suction-cup gloves. Still one of the most amazing catches I ever saw.

RIP, Bill... I'm sure you, Pogo, and Doug are spinning some yarns up in Heaven! And, of course, cheering on your Tigers!

Go, Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2020, 5:45 PM

What a remarkable career!
Clemson has lost an All Time Great. I can only imagine the stories he could tell.
Condolences to his family, loved ones and all the lives he touched along the way. RIP Mr. Mathis ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2020, 6:01 PM

Sad to hear this. Great player. Loved those jerseys in the pic.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2020, 6:12 PM

RIP!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2020, 7:12 PM

Where do we find men such as this. Remarkable man, remarkable period of Clemson Football

Oct 22, 2020, 7:26 PM

RIP Ole Timer, you will surely be missed!!! Another great Tiger that will be playing on God's team in Heaven where all his players are great ones!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2020, 8:30 PM

I remember watching Mathis play with the Jets. The dude was tough and talented. RIP, sir.

Oct 23, 2020, 3:52 PM

My condolences to his family. I was twelve years old when I first saw him play for Clemson. He was one of my favorite players. I really enjoyed watching them win so many games and play in at least two bowl games. Clemson wasn't on television so much in that era unless they played in bowl games. I remembered him playing for the Jets also. Not as many Clemson players made the Pros and I was proud that he was a Clemson football player.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic