Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: TigerNet Top-5: Fuller set a long-standing mark for Clemson QB play
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

TNET: TigerNet Top-5: Fuller set a long-standing mark for Clemson QB play

Jun 7, 2020, 4:01 PM

TigerNet Top-5: Fuller set a long-standing mark for Clemson QB play

Steve Fuller was a standout athlete who garnered national attention like few Tigers before him in the late '70s. More on the latest in our top QB countdown in the ACC era. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: TigerNet Top-5: Fuller set a long-standing mark for Clemson QB play

Jun 7, 2020, 4:22 PM

I personally think Homer Jordan should go ahead of Fuller just because of the 1981 national title. Sure, Fuller was probably the better passer and QB overall, but still that national title thing is huge.

5. Fuller
4. Jordan
3. Boyd (my daughter and son in law saw him in Greenville not long ago)
2. TL or Watson
1. Watson or TL

If Clemson wins the national title this year, then Lawrence is a clear #1. Then, the following season there could be a new #3, 2 or 1 with another title. DJ Uiagalelei or maybe even Taisun Phommachanh (yea, I had to look them both up, sheesh those names are hard to spell)
I watched game film and real games of DJ again the other day and that guy could be the real deal. He might be almost Trevor Lawrence level as a passer and he's huge.

Just my worthless 2 cents on the matter.

Jun 7, 2020, 6:58 PM

I personally think Homer Jordan should go ahead of Fuller just because of the 1981 national title. Sure, Fuller was probably the better passer and QB overall, but still that national title thing is huge.

5. Fuller
4. Jordan
3. Boyd (my daughter and son in law saw him in Greenville not long ago)
2. TL or Watson
1. Watson or TL

If Clemson wins the national title this year, then Lawrence is a clear #1. Then, the following season there could be a new #3, 2 or 1 with another title. DJ Uiagalelei or maybe even Taisun Phommachanh (yea, I had to look them both up, sheesh those names are hard to spell)
I watched game film and real games of DJ again the other day and that guy could be the real deal. He might be almost Trevor Lawrence level as a passer and he's huge.

Just my worthless 2 cents on the matter.

Personally, I would have Fuller no worse than 3rd. For the younger folks who never saw hi m play, the game was different then. I would definitely have him higher than Tajh Boyd.

Jun 7, 2020, 11:37 PM

It is a different game for sure. The game with ND was huge that year for so many reasons and so was our status. We had the better team but simply were not ready to win a game like that - we are now! Don't get me wrong - I love where we are now. We can play with anybody, anytime and anywhere and everyone knows this but it wasn't always that way. I wouldn't trade Dabo for ANYBODY but the difference between before and after Dabo and before and after Charlie Pell and Danny Ford are not even comparable. Based on what he did, where we started before Fuller and where we were headed when he left, it would be hard for me to not put Fuller at number 3!
And just a side note on that clip of Clemson v Notre Dame - if I remember correctly, ND won the Natty that year BUT a guy by the name of Matt Cavanaugh went out with a big Pitt lead over ND and returned just in time to smoke us in the Gator Bowl that year. Make no mistake Pitt was the best team in the country that year. ND wins at least two games they had no business winning again two teams better than they were. Just my little worthless two cents worth as well!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2020, 8:38 PM

Great guy. While I was in Clemson 77-81 I was able meet him a few times and just remember shaking his hand and thinking he could probably palm a concrete block and sling it 50 yds. Super smart and a class act for sure.

Jun 8, 2020, 5:29 AM

We aren’t including Trevor because he still has a season or two to go. My guess;

3. Charlie Whitehurst

2. T. Boyd

1. Deshaun

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I always had Fuller #1 until Watson came along. It's real simple.

Jun 8, 2020, 6:34 AM

He finished #6 in the 1978 Hesiman voting... Whitehurst, Boyd, nor Jordan even sniffed it.

He spent 7 seasons in the NFL. So has Whitehurst, but Fuller actually played, unlike Clipboard Jesus. In fact, Fuller stepped in and started 5 games for the 1985 Bears after Jim McMahon was injured. Has a Super Bowl ring to show for it. So he actually played in some significant NFL games. Boyd nor Jordan even sniffed the NFL.

So Fuller had a more decorated college career, and a more impressive NFL career than any QB in Clemson history, until Watson came along. Period.

Toss in the fact that he was also an Academic All American, well that's just gravy.

Therefore, it is clearly

1. Watson
2. Fuller
3-5 Your choice. Who knows if Lawrence will end up #1 or #2, we'll see.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: I always had Fuller #1 until Watson came along. It's real simple.

Jun 8, 2020, 7:36 AM

The NFL has nothing to do with anything, really. It's what they did at Clemson (my opinion) which is why I will stick with Homer Jordan over him with the national title even though it is a team game.

The above guys pointed out that the game was way different back when Fuller played, but Boyd's numbers are way too great to ignore and that was the beginning of greatness for Clemson's current run.

If Trevor Lawrence isn't included I would have Whitehurst at #5, Fuller, Jordan, Boyd and Watson.

I don't understand. I included what they all did at Clemson.

Jun 8, 2020, 9:13 AM

Fuller led us to an 11-1 season and final ranking of #6. An early season loss at UGA was the only thing preventing us from a possible title run like 1981. A couple of plays here and there in one game. And outside of that magical season in 1981 in which all the planets lined up perfectly, that #6 ranking was the highest until Watson was playing QB. 37 years. By planets lining up I mean the upsets the last couple weeks of the season so we could even be in the mix. Everybody above us fell in the polls. Jordan was not asked to do much, just not screw up. We could ride a stable of great RB's and a dominating defense to victory.

And the reason I include the NFL is because it supersedes the personal opinion of fans like you and me. The experts that scrutinize college players to evaluate their talent and invest millions in a player decided that Fuller was a 1st Round draft pick. Whitehurst was 3rd Round, the others weren't drafted at all. And they were right... Fuller had a much better NFL career than Clipboard, and the others had to find a career outside of football. What did they evaluate? Their play at Clemson.

Individual stats are pretty irrelevant across different eras. Fuller was asked to run the option and mostly threw on 3rd and long, with maybe 2 receivers as options. And the defense knew it was coming. You plug him into today's pass-happy offense with 4 or 5 gazelles at WR... my God, can you imagine what his numbers would be? And we know that because he proved he had an NFL arm.

Anyway, it's all good. We can agree to disagree. That's what message boards are for, right?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: I always had Fuller #1 until Watson came along. It's real simple.

Jun 8, 2020, 1:17 PM [ in reply to I always had Fuller #1 until Watson came along. It's real simple. ]

Agree completely. However, Steve actually played 8 years in the NFL. Could have played a few more, but decided to leave and go into Real Estate.

Jun 8, 2020, 11:13 AM

I didn't look at the five players picked yet, I wanted to list my top five and see if I get them correct. I'm not going to attempt to put them in order because Trevor hasn't finished his career, so here are my top five in alphabetical order. Boyd, Fuller, Lawrence, Watson, Whitehurst.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic