Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Spring Forecast: Veteran-led linebacker corps bolsters Clemson front-seven
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

TNET: Spring Forecast: Veteran-led linebacker corps bolsters Clemson front-seven

Feb 22, 2021, 8:01 AM

Spring Forecast: Veteran-led linebacker corps bolsters Clemson front-seven

The Bruise Brothers are back at two starting roles, while a transfer leaves opportunity to shine at another spot. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Spring Forecast: Veteran-led linebacker corps bolsters Clemson front-seven

Feb 22, 2021, 11:20 AM

Let's hope JS can learn to not target and stay in whole games. We need him.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We definitely need one of the young guys to raise his game

Feb 22, 2021, 12:57 PM

and provide "equal" depth at that position. Jake Venables plays hard, but there is no doubt a huge dropoff between Skalski and him, easily seen all last season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Spring Forecast: Veteran-led linebacker corps bolsters Clemson front-seven

Feb 22, 2021, 12:51 PM

It looks like a collection of NFL potential LBs behind a group of very good and sometimes slow full-time college starters who likely will not get an NFL shot. BV’s the best in the business, but I would expect more LB’s to depart this spring and summer instead of watching 6th year starters take all their reps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 2:09 PM

Couldn't have said it better. The lack of speed at LB and Safety was exposed against LSU & OSU. Not sure why the young guys at LB can't crack the lineup...maybe they are not that good...who knows. As far as Safety we just dont seem to be able to land the upper echelon recruits.

Feb 22, 2021, 5:11 PM

QBVII said:

Couldn't have said it better. The lack of speed at LB and Safety was exposed against LSU & OSU. Not sure why the young guys at LB can't crack the lineup...maybe they are not that good...who knows. As far as Safety we just dont seem to be able to land the upper echelon recruits.

Agree 100% on getting exposed - on the safety issue I thought Barrett Carter was going to be a potential solution? If he stayed at LB then we could possibly have a 5 star recruit running 4th string behind a group that is mediocre at best. Hope he's as good as advertised and can contribute quickly.

Feb 22, 2021, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Spring Forecast: Veteran-led linebacker corps bolsters Clemson front-seven ]

Me 2nd on that. I really don't like those pff grades. It makes Spector look all world. He's a senior and wasn't close to getting drafted this year. Maquire and vonta came in highly rated. Obviously can't 2nd guess coach but who knows with more reps... And I believe sometimes it does take in game reps to really show your full potential.

Couldn't blame them for not sticking if there is not much of a chance to get reps. You can see the drop off.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 5:19 PM

Lot of talk about lack of speed at linebacker with the potential starters. I do not see it. Both Spector and Patterson came in highly rated potential draft picks. Both run a 4.61 forty. Which backups run better than a 4.61? Please list.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Spring Forecast: Veteran-led linebacker corps bolsters Clemson front-seven ]

Me 2nd on that. I really don't like those pff grades. It makes Spector look all world. He's a senior and wasn't close to getting drafted this year. Maquire and vonta came in highly rated. Obviously can't 2nd guess coach but who knows with more reps... And I believe sometimes it does take in game reps to really show your full potential.

Couldn't blame them for not sticking if there is not much of a chance to get reps. You can see the drop off.

Agreed, can't really see any of the Junior/Senior LB's being drafted and that would include Mike Jones. We don't have anyone close to the I Simmons talent level that it takes to make a next level impact. Crossing my fingers on Trotter and Barrett Carter at LB or Safety and hoping some of the younger guys can elevate their play.

Feb 22, 2021, 5:34 PM

Mike Jones was probably one of the slowest. Not close to Spector and Patterson.

Feb 22, 2021, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Spring Forecast: Veteran-led linebacker corps bolsters Clemson front-seven ]

Think BV values buying into the system and listening to him over pure talent. Which can be a tradeoff you make when you're DLine is all world. But last year that certainly wasn't the case.

I like JS's attitude but he's a college player through and through. He won't even get the sniff of the NFL that Boulware got. We need to develop the emerging talent.

Feb 22, 2021, 8:20 PM

?????????? lame

Feb 23, 2021, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Spring Forecast: Veteran-led linebacker corps bolsters Clemson front-seven ]

Skalski is a FAR better athlete than Boulware. It's not even close.

Boulware did everything on instincts and knowledge of the game. He was a complete liability in coverage and that's why he didn't get a shot in the NFL.

All LBs in the NFL are smart, but only the athletes get a shot.

Skalski will get a better shot than Boulware, but I still don't see him getting drafted.

Feb 23, 2021, 11:39 AM

TigersO said:

Skalski is a FAR better athlete than Boulware. It's not even close.

Boulware did everything on instincts and knowledge of the game. He was a complete liability in coverage and that's why he didn't get a shot in the NFL.

All LBs in the NFL are smart, but only the athletes get a shot.

Skalski will get a better shot than Boulware, but I still don't see him getting drafted.

Well, Ben's credentials were as follows: for his last year:2016: Earned Jack Lambert Award as nation’s top linebacker ... second-team All-American by AFCA, Football Writers Association, Phil Steele, USA Today and Walter Camp ... third-team All-American by the Associated Press

So Ben was rated as highly as the #1 linebacker in the country! Don't see JS getting this accolade nor making any of the All American teams. Since the Tigers were National Champs it really must have helped Ben's cause. And with all that said I think they are about the same in ability - Ben played hurt many games which I didn't get since we had Dorian O'Daniel on the bench. Regardless, we saw that Ben was not close to a next level player. So, it would sure be nice if we could get back to some LB's that are next level guys and can compete against the elite college teams. We have had so many great LB's in the past 40 years that it's almost too many to count. We hit a down cycle this past year so it's time to start reversing trend. Oh, but for 1 more Anthony Simmons before I expire.

Feb 23, 2021, 12:18 PM

I'm just hoping that we don't lose a guy like Bentley or our other highly rated prospects to the transfer portal because they have to sit another year behind Skalski and Spector. We better not lose anyone because of Jake Venables either.

Feb 23, 2021, 5:13 PM

I'm just hoping that we don't lose a guy like Bentley or our other highly rated prospects to the transfer portal because they have to sit another year behind Skalski and Spector. We better not lose anyone because of Jake Venables either.

Agreed. The board gets very touchy about the Jake subject but the last depth chart I saw had Bentley listed as third team at Will LB not Mike. So we are not going to lose anyone because of Jake because the LB's get listed at Will or Sam leaving Jake to get plenty of reps behind Skalski at middle LB. So Bentley is listed as 6' and 235. He's a wrecking ball with a nose for the football during limited snaps. Would that be a prototype middle LB? Could he pass Jake? I've seen this movie a few times already in past years. Bentley seems to be the most physical of the bunch and the one that would hurt the most if he departed. Hope it doesn't happen.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic