Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Hood Talk: Solving the student ticket problem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

TNET: Hood Talk: Solving the student ticket problem

Jun 23, 2018, 9:01 AM

Hood Talk: Solving the student ticket problem

From policy to logistics to attendance, everything about student ticketing is a problem. To put it plainly, the system is broken. So, how do we fix it? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Hood Talk: Solving the student ticket problem

Jun 23, 2018, 9:17 AM

Sounds about right to me. There has got to be a penalty system in place for those that get tickets and don't show up. Way to many students/fans that could have used those tickets to just be wasted.

Jun 23, 2018, 9:23 AM

My family regularly attended games in the 70s and 80s. As a result of my kids sitting on the hill there are 3 families with season tickets plus 3 Clemson students/graduates.

That's all it took? I'm going to send my kids

Jun 25, 2018, 8:29 AM

To the hill next game. ..forget this SAT bs.

My youngest is struggling in school. ..good to know he has a shot now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 23, 2018, 9:30 AM

Problem solved?! Only time will tell

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 9:49 AM

This is an overall good idea but here's my two cents:

1. I will probably get flamed for this but having students pay for tickets is the simplest way to ensure good attendance (paradoxical, I know). Last year casual fans would register for tickets online and not bother showing up for the game. Charging a fee will weed out the casual fans and increase the percentage of student ticket holders who actually attend the game.

2. That being said, I don't agree with the penalty system. If you paid for the tickets you can do whatever you want with them. There should be a system which allows you to transfer them into a pool or directly to another student, but you shouldn't be penalized for using your property how you want to.

3. There needs to be some sort of enforcement mechanism to ensure students actually sit where their tickets are. One of the reasons for switching from the old system was that the hill would get dangerously overcrowded when students would pass tickets off to friends with worse seats. I'm not really sure how this can be addressed in a general admission area.

Jun 23, 2018, 10:38 AM

Paying for tickets is NOT the solution. 1/2 the students get mom and Dad to pay for school. The other 1/2 pay their way or get scholarships. $300 on top of thousands is peanut change that won’t make someone say “I paid for these, I better go”.

Pentalties the best solution. Going to the bottom for the big games is what they don’t want so they will comply.

These kids are spoiled. Going to games doesn’t mean as much as it does to us old folks. We appreciate the 7 weeks a year.

Jun 23, 2018, 11:01 AM

They did not even say how much they would cost and your complaining they would cost too much? The tickets have value, just like alot of things in life maybe its not that big a deal to have tickets because you did not invest in them... "its a rental" mentality. If they pay (and the price should be at a "student" level) they are invested. Worried about parents paying for tickets, thats a family issue and not yours or mine.

If they know they are not going to attend they can turn them back in and get their money back, someone else who wants to go can then pick them up. If no student wants them they go as General Admission.

Jun 23, 2018, 9:53 AM

Grew up in the 70's and 80's going to the games with my father. I always got the general admission kids tickets to sit on the hill. I believe they were $6 back then. I know they fill they are losing money if they don't sell the old student tickets, but they are also losing the future fans. The kids are being totally priced out of the games. My memories of Saturdays in the valley as a kid are the reason I bleed orange. It's also the reason I still tear up when the buses reach the top of the hill. Don't mortgage the future to sell more tickets now.

Jun 23, 2018, 10:05 AM

I agree with much that Nikki and David wrote. I admit being old time Tigers of the 70s. No apology from me because one thing I've learned in life is that old is not wrong, it's just a different perspective until the newer generation gets some miles under their belt.

It makes my heart happy that we're the only D1 University that provides tickets free. It grieves me to see that privilege abused by some students. The administration is stepping up. I believe the students will too. If not. There are others who will buy the tickets.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 10:40 AM

Fill The Hill. We talked about this last year. Listen the problem is not Clemson it is the students. So I recommend a sure way to fill the hill is to allow any active duty military, law enforcement or emergency personnel (fire/emt) a seat on the hill free on a first come basis with proper identification. They deserve it and would appreciate it too. JMHO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 2:45 PM

Not a bad idea. Also to high school students still get in cheap or free? It was kinda fun when we could take our coolers and lawn chairs. Of course a lot more hill in them days.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My boss lives in Texas and his daughter is going to TCU

Jun 23, 2018, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Hood Talk: Solving the student ticket problem ]

they told him, "TCU was the only division 1 program to provide totally free tickets to all students". So who knows what the truth is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did my graduate work at TCU and this is true.***

Jun 24, 2018, 11:12 AM

It costs a big load of $$ to attend TCU

Jun 24, 2018, 12:10 PM

Does TCU just camouflage the fee in tuition?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Hood Talk: Solving the student ticket problem***

Jun 23, 2018, 10:25 AM

Jun 23, 2018, 10:43 AM

Not sure how to solve this because I feel like I don’t have all the facts. One, id shy away from the overly complex solutions with points and penalty points and all of these systems searching for perfection. My gut says that will backfire and lead to all sorts of unanticipated problems. Two, we were told last year or the year before by the administration that the issue with the hill wasn’t attendance it was some sort of logistical issue relating to fans not being able to get from one side to the other and it would be resolved. I’d like an update on that logical issue before making their changes, otherwise you are making changes from the wrong baseline of a problem. I’m also not understanding two things: how a fee will IMPROVE attendance and how seats taken from students HURT the hill. I’d be looking in the opposite direction in both instances. 1. You get fewer seats until the hill is full, we will sell the surplus of real seats since your buts can be in the hill and it isn’t being used and 2. We won’t charge you in fact we will reward you in some way for attending either will better seats to other sporting events or even a stipend of some sort to the food facilities.

What If A Student Has A Test Or Has To Study For A Big Test? ---

Jun 23, 2018, 10:50 AM

You are going to penalize a student for trying to advance towards their respective major because they couldn't make a football game???

Clemson's culture is supposed to be about family....and that does not sound like family priorities are in order if you are penalizing a student like that who thought he/she would be able to go to a game.

Re: What If A Student Has A Test Or Has To Study For A Big Test? ---

Jun 23, 2018, 10:55 AM

This is ridiculous, they are proposing that students apply for and receive tickets. If they can't attend they turn the tickets back in. How is that in any way impacting their education? OMG they have to be responsible? Its a bad optic that the Hill is empty, your on a Clemson Sports Website, the thread is about how to "fill the hill".

Students need to be on the Hill, not some Joe Schmo with 4 young children

Jun 23, 2018, 10:54 AM

The East end of the stadium needs to be rocking with crazed profanity-spewing Clemson students. No place for families IMO. Nothin beats looking over there when they are jumping/fist pumping in unison. That end of the stadium needs to be LOUD (NC State game goal-line stand loud).

Re: Students need to be on the Hill, not some Joe Schmo with 4 young children

Jun 23, 2018, 12:27 PM

I never TD on tigernet - until I see some trash that needs to be taken out

"crazed, profanity-spewing" fans???

Jun 23, 2018, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Students need to be on the Hill, not some Joe Schmo with 4 young children ]

Are you referring to the 3 elderly ladies who sat behind me and The Boss in South Stands for many, many years??? (actually, they were pretty much OK as long as those of us in front didn't stand up too much---the scoreboard video helped short people a lot!!)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well seeing as how that has never been the case

Jun 25, 2018, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Students need to be on the Hill, not some Joe Schmo with 4 young children ]

and when given full run of The Hill in 2017, the students couldn't come close to filling it, I say go back to the way it was.

And even in the previous system (you know, the one where The Hill was full) it wasn't young kids. It was mostly middle-teenagers and freshmen. They know all the words anyway, and they get to scope out college chicks, so have at it. The only time you saw young kids was at the end of blowouts. The big games was always a crazy scene on The Hill when it was true general admission.

Jun 23, 2018, 10:56 AM

Being a student that sits (stands) on the hill for every single game, they made it extremely difficult this past year for people to get on and off the hill. They installed 1 narrow walkway on either side for students to enter the hill and all the railings that used to be easy for a lot of people to go under (I know it's not the right way but it allowed more people on the hill) were completely blocked off. Those factors along with the over the top security and blocking off the hill 15 minutes before they run down the hill can turn off the casual fan. I guess the point of my rant is they need to chill out with how strict they are when it comes to allowing students and fans in general on the hill. We never had this problem until this year when they implemented and installed all of this bull####

Jun 23, 2018, 11:57 AM

The access points must be addressed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Hood Talk: Solving the student ticket problem ]

Tickets -- Parking --Concessions -- all have gone up many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Hill tickets can be sold as GM tickets to any & all ( that will fill the hill**)

So give the students first dibs and sell the rest to the general public -- lots of folks can't afford to attend all games and will stay till' the end for the ones they do attend** __ Students have so much going on,that a game that is ( over by halftime,because of score ) will not keep them at the game -- surely by this fall they can work out a solution, for all***

Jun 23, 2018, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Hood Talk: Solving the student ticket problem ]

Absolutely. Open access to both sides of the hill. Problem solved.

Jun 23, 2018, 12:49 PM

2015 grad. Going back to the way it used to be is 110% the solution. Camping out for big games and having Dabo and the team hand out doughnuts was awesome. For those who think this model takes away too much study time, camping wasn't even necessary for the biggest games to still get a ticket if you got up even remotely early. If you're kid is blaming their bad grades on camping for tickets they're either full of #### or don't know how to manage their time.

Also, the Guantanamo Bay level of security on the hill is absolutely heinous. An "overcrowded" hill is a exactly how it should be.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2018, 2:14 PM

You are so right. Don't make the students pay with cash, make them pay more dearly with their time. If they campout, they are committed. Also, as soon as the freshman pickup has ended, you know how many GA tickets are available for game day.

Sounds like they need to fix access to the hill as well.

Jun 25, 2018, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Hood Talk: Solving the student ticket problem ]

Agree 110%. We had a group that camped out every week and got front row seats every week. If you spend a week camping out, you're not going to leave after the first quarter... You could have 10 people in a group so it's not like anyone had to miss class or any school work. There were plenty of people to pick up the slack if you had a busy week.

I don't understand people saying that going back to the way it was is not the answer...it worked great for us and this was just a couple of years ago

Jun 23, 2018, 1:12 PM

Hood, this is a great solution.

Jun 23, 2018, 1:51 PM

All these solutions are micromanaging. You say the students have “changed”, well so has the administration. The access in and off the hill is to highly regulated and restricted - one narrow lane, 15 minute dead period (just when most are arriving), mall cop guys. This is the issue. Open access and much of the manufactured “problem” is solved.

Jun 23, 2018, 3:09 PM

Have we tracked how many of the unused tickets are issued to in-state vs out-of-state students? It would be interesting to see how attendance compares between those who grew up Tiger fans and those who enrolled because our out-of-state tuition was lower than they would pay "back home."

Please stop assuming that out of state students come to Clemson because it’s cheaper.

Jun 24, 2018, 10:40 AM

They come to Clemson because it’s a good school. Plus, I seriously doubt Clemson’s tuition for out of state students is much cheaper than they would pay at a private school back home. It is certainly much more expensive than their state school back home would be. If cost is their main concern, they would stay home and go to their in state school, especially since chances are excellent that they would’ve gotten into their in state schools if they got into Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

THIS!!!!!!!!

Jun 23, 2018, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Hood Talk: Solving the student ticket problem ]

Nm

Jun 23, 2018, 6:07 PM

So, wait - the article is suggesting that they should make students BUY the tickets and then punish them if they don't actually use them?

That's a terrible idea. If they had to pay for the ticket, then they should be able to do whatever they want to with it. Use it, resell it, use it as kindling for a BBQ - whatever they want.

I agree with David

Jun 24, 2018, 2:34 PM

General Admission and/or opening the Hill up as a ticketed seating option to the fans is the way to go. For whatever reason using the Hill as a student section isn’t working and it should be opened up for the fans.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic