Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A few last thoughts before moving on from the Bucks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,400

A few last thoughts before moving on from the Bucks

Dec 30, 2019, 2:11 PM

I found a few interesting statistics from the Fiesta Bowl...

First, Clemson had 62 offensive plays in the game; OSU had 85. That's an amazing differential to overcome and still be able to win the game. Just ask Alabama after the Tampa natty.

Second, OSU had 196 rushing yards on 39 carries. 153 of those yards came on 3 carries (64 & 68 by Dobbins, 21 by Fields on his one successful run out of the pocket). The other 43 yards came on 36 carries. Except for the two busts, the defense really stuffed the run.

Third, Chase Young had some pretty amazing defensive stats: 1 tackle, 1 assist, 1 QB hurry, 0 sacks, and 0 tackles for loss. So, if he is (as some talking heads say) the best defensive end to have ever played the game, what does that say about Jackson Carman? Great job, big guy.

All in all, that was probably one of the most physical games I've ever seen. I'm sure both teams spent a lot of time the last couple of days soaking in an ice bath.

At the end of the game, I thought, "neither team should have had to lose that game." Unfortunately, a number of OSU fans have changed my mind. Those would be the ones who cheered when TL16 was "targeted", then booed when he got off the ground and trotted off the field, then booed again when he came back in the game. I had one guy at the airport tell me that, "No way in h e l l was that targeting." I just smiled and asked him if he could explain to me exactly what "targeting" is. He couldn't.

Or maybe it was the guy who told me Clemson wouldn't have had a chance without "your own officials." Interesting... I never thought the SEC loved Clemson that much! I asked him if he had seen the replays of the "reversed calls" and he said, "I don't need to see any d a m n replays. I saw the plays." That's like saying, "don't bother me with the facts." I suggested that if he took an impartial look, he would see that each call was correct. He didn't think that idea had merit. I also suggested that he watch the play Tee Higgins was injured on, with Ocuda's hand going under Tee's facemask, all the way across his face, and then pushing his helmet off. That was probably the worst "no call" of the game.

Overall, I thought the officiating was about as even as it could get. OSU was never called for offensive holding, though, and that made a real difference in not allowing Clemson's pass rush to get to Fields more often.

Anyway, it was a whale of a ballgame. The Tigers truly showed that they have hearts of champions. I look forward to seeing what they have in store for LSU. Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: 7173TIGER®

Message was edited by: 7173TIGER®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A few last thoughts before moving on from the Bucks

Dec 30, 2019, 2:19 PM

Great points.
I had the same feelings after the game.

Felt like we were Apollo Creed at the end of Rocky, "Ain't gonna be no rematch!"

But after hearing the whining Bucknut fans, not going to give them any credit!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE butthurt from this one will LAST as long as...

Dec 30, 2019, 2:33 PM

...the Gator Bowl loss in '78.

This 2019 Fiesta Bowl is a gift that keeps on giving.

Now, Clemson Tigers, give us another gift in NOLA that will last a lifetime!

The trash talk coming out of Louisiana has just gotten started.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Dec 30, 2019, 2:48 PM

I agree with everything written above. Great game, great result. Our coaching staff had a plan and it worked. Make Fields beat us with his arm - he couldn't do it.

Day's comments about the refs giving us the game show he is new to this situation. Classic child-like response. The refs got it right - whether it went our way or theirs.

The one "concern" I have is that I didn't see our WR's getting separation from their DB's - almost ever. Once in the first half when Trevor was hurried and led Overton out of bounds and a few times in the final two minutes of the game when OSU went into prevent mode. Other than that - no separation. Either their DB's are really good, or our WR's aren't as good as I thought.

Our DB's didn't play as well as I expected either. It was clear we wanted to keep everything in front of us, but I didn't think Fields was good enough to beat us deep. We gave them too many passes underneath. And please work with our DB's on catching - we could have had five INT's not just two. One or two of those would have been pick sixes. Then the game is a blow out.

The ESPN article comparing the game to a boxing match is quite good. That's what it felt like at the game. OSU punched us in the mouth early but couldn't put us away. That cost them. Thank God.

BTW - we were significantly outnumbered in the stadium. At minimum 40/60. Seemed more like 25/75 at best. Please don't take these good times for granted. Support our Tigers in every game.

Dec 30, 2019, 2:58 PM

1. OSU has one of the top-rated secondaries in the country. I suspect that it is our tendency to throw the "jump balls" instead of breaking the WRs loose on fly patterns.
2. I think we were outnumbered at least 6-to-1 at State Farm Stadium. Then, for some reason, with 37 seconds left in the game, we outnumbered OSU fans about 50-to-1. I can't figure out why. LOL.
3. On the play of our DBs, OSU has a couple of really good WRs. I agree with you that we should have had at least 4 picks, and probably two of those should have gone for 6.

I'll take it, though!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Re: A few last thoughts before moving on from the Bucks ]

You comment on our WRs was one of my biggest takeaways from this game as well. Prior to the game, we heard a lot about how OSU’s DBs have never played against physical receivers like ours. Well they seemed to take this to task. We couldn’t get any separation, at all. LSU also has a set of great DBs.

Dec 30, 2019, 2:58 PM

Your point on their rushing stats is amazing. I thought about it in my head but never did the math.

As far as I know, LSU's O-line isn't any better at run blocking than OSU's so that bodes well.

One other point is we must do better at bringing down the QB when he's in the grasp as Burrow is harder to sack than Fields.

Our CBs have a much bigger challenge coming up. If the D-line controls the LOS, maybe we can play more guys in coverage.

OSU has one of the best run blocking OLs in the country***

Dec 30, 2019, 6:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 5:56 PM

It was bothersome that our receivers could not get separation. We could not rush the ball in the traditional way. At the same time we had three explosive plays for long touchdowns. You can’t tackle Travis ETN on angles coming from behind. Their defensive backs were impressive with how they handled our receivers, but their defensive game gave up touchdowns where as ours gave up field goals. We win.

Dec 30, 2019, 6:17 PM

Great post! Fascinating rushing stats. Didn’t realize. As far as lack of separation: a great team has more than one way to win. We did and we won!

They better hope they'll not have to play us for at least

Dec 30, 2019, 6:23 PM

a decade.

Dec 31, 2019, 12:29 AM

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,400
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic