Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: things of beauty in a time of ugliness
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 3,378

Sunday sermon: things of beauty in a time of ugliness

Oct 12, 2014, 9:59 AM

Sometimes, you can't win for trying.

A week after perhaps the prettiest win in years for Clemson, we collect what was easily one of the ugliest wins since Dabo took the helm.

Or was it? Was it really ugly. Taken to the heart of things, is ANY win "ugly"? Not pretty, for sure ... but ugly?

I'm going to give you things of beauty from yesterday's game. If you still wish to dwell on the less-than-gorgeous parts, then you may. If you wish to call the conscious decision to revel in beauty than wallow in squalor pumping, then you may. With so much pain in the world, I've never really found it necessary to go searching for more.

But I am happy -- and proud -- to share a few beams of beauty from yesterday.

1. The crowd: If you were there, and you cannot speak this morning, YOU are the reason Clemson won yesterday. You know it, I know it and I'll go to the mat for the Sons of Clemson who never lost faith, even if they lost voice. The Voice of Clemson was heard long and loud Saturday ... and it was glorious. You have added to the legend of Death Valley, and provided a high ground when your team desperately needed shelter.

Never let anyone tell you "The crowd doesn't matter." You proved them wrong and the credit for this win is your's.

2. The heroes: If, Saturday morning, I asked for three names that would provide the points for Clemson, I'm willing to bet the trifecta of "Humphries, Lapik and Stoudt" would not be among the leaders.

But when things go sideways, and they went horribly sideways when DW's finger snapped, you look for heroes with heart. And in those three oft-maligned Sons of Clemson, we found our heroes.

You've heard the grumblings about our punt return game. "Fair-catch Humphries," good hands, no feet ... well you can shut up now. Who's the last guy to run a punt back for a score? Wanna say something bad about him?

And if folks disparaged Adam, they were downright ruthless about Ammon after the FSU game. Yet, who put the winning points on the board Saturday? Who prevented our red zone problems from becoming downright fiascos? Who, when everything is said and done, has managed to bury the disappointment of Tallahassee?

But the last ... absolutely last ... expected hero Saturday was Cole. More Lazarus than backup, he not only wasn't expected to see the field, he barely had any practice after crunching his shoulder last week. So, here he comes, stone cold into the game against one of the toughest defense in the nation. I say "one of" for reasons that will be forthcoming. The first two plays, a near-pick and a sack. You thought it ... ####, I thought it, too. We're in trouble.

Good thing Cole didn't think it. With trainers furiously working on him between series, Cole dragged this team to victory. DW probably would have gotten us there with more style points, but DW had his arm wrapped like Boris Karloff in a 30s monster movie. The weight of this game ... and the season ... rested on the batter shoulders of Cole Stoudt.

Without their heart, the Tigers are looking at a loss, and the board is looking at a major meltdown.
You can whine about the shotgun snaps on fourth down, but Cole didn't call them. He went out and performed....and won.

3. The beasts: Want a look at Clemson football the way it used to be? Saturday's game was as close as you'll come on the defensive side. Rip-roaring, body-slamming, no fear and no quarter. There was blood in the water every time Louisville got to third down ... and they converted there only once.
I love good defense, more than good offense. And I hope to see better offense this week, with Cole getting a chance to practice.

But I don't know that we'll see much better defense in our lives. Savor every snap, Tigers.

I'm not Pollyanna enough to say these guys won't miss a beat with DW out. But he is out, possibly for quite a while. So ... you can wallow in the ugly, or you can, the words of the military "embrace the suck" and keep marching, knowing there will be beauty for those who do so.

A rougher path sharpens the harrows. If, indeed we are in this together as a family, there are many better days ahead.

Dig down deep and claim them, Tigers.

Message was edited by: RevDodd®

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now that right there got me fired up!.Amen!***

Oct 12, 2014, 8:39 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Now that right there got me fired up!.Amen!***

Oct 12, 2014, 7:23 PM

Amen Rev, after the game i wanted to be happy and really questioned some calls, after taking some moments on the field after the game and saying my prayers i felt a since of pride coming over me and then realization hit me, we won, enjoy the win and go on ..Lesson were learned , problems will be fixxed and life is too short to nit pick things..
God Bless them Tigers

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: things of beauty in a time of ugliness

Oct 12, 2014, 10:06 AM

Nicely put . Go Tigers1

always come thru on sun. morn. thank you***

Oct 12, 2014, 10:12 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2014, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Sunday sermon: things of beauty in a time of ugliness ]

Rev....how is it you ALWAYS say the right things at the right time? It is a fitting tribute to this team, yes that team that never gave up and refused you wallow in the ugly. I love this team and this will be a season to long remember, maybe not for the number of games they won but rather by the size of their hearts!!!! GO TIGERS!!!

Because I have seen MUCH uglier games than Saturday...

Oct 12, 2014, 10:30 AM

...because I had classmates who were on the team in those 2-9, 3-6 years trying to take notes the Monday after a losing game with their hands so battered they could hardly hold a pen.

...because my belief in how Clemson prepares young men and women for their future is measured far beyond the scoreboard.

...because we are all blessed by the Almighty to be Sons of Clemson. But being blessed down't mean the road is always smooth.

...because these young men, as those who went before and who will follow deserve the devotion we can provide.

...and because I believe I'm not alone in feeling this way no matter what some self-appointed Cassandras wish to spew on the boards.

We are Clemson. We are a special breed. The day I no longer believe that, I'll stop clogging the interwebs.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because I have seen MUCH uglier games than Saturday...

Oct 12, 2014, 10:40 AM

WOW, again!

Re: Because I have seen MUCH uglier games than Saturday...

Oct 13, 2014, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Because I have seen MUCH uglier games than Saturday... ]

Amen Rev. I have been a Clemson fan all my life. Went to my first game in the mid 50's. Was at the first Carolina game to be played at death valley in the new West End Zone stands. Was a football manager from 1962-1965 because there was no demand for 145 pound linemen. Am proud to be a letterwinner. Have always cheered for my tigers. I have never and will never boo or talk down anyone who plays for the tigers. I know what they go through. I have seen the training room and, like you seen battered and bruised players somehow get up off the turf and perform hero deeds for Clemson. Yes I may question play calls, but I will always cheer for anyone who represents Clemson. There is something about those hills that puts a spring in the step of a 70 year old soon as he steps on campus. I am proud to be a son of Clemson.

you never fail to deliver Rev***

Oct 12, 2014, 10:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there, it was fun and I say let's do it again.

Oct 12, 2014, 10:25 AM

I don't care how we got the win, we got it. The team fought with heart and the fans yelled with heart. Stoudt did not practice all week, but he got the win. I expect to see a better performance at BC.

All In! Go Tigers!!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Oct 12, 2014, 10:29 AM

I have to say, Rev, this is one of your best Sunday sermons yet. I read it to my husband (we are driving home from Clemson) with a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. We are the sons and daughters of Clemson! Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Embrace the suck" love it!

Oct 12, 2014, 10:37 AM

Gutsy win by all. Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May I add Jayron Kearse - never a moment of hesitation or

Oct 12, 2014, 10:38 AM

Anything less than 100% effort to prevent disaster. I was sure it was going to be a TD and another heartbreaking loss.

That play says a lot about Jayron, Clemson's defense and BV.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: May I add Jayron Kearse - never a moment of hesitation or

Oct 12, 2014, 10:47 AM

My one addition as well.

Excellent addition!***

Oct 12, 2014, 11:02 AM [ in reply to May I add Jayron Kearse - never a moment of hesitation or ]

Re: waiting on the other two things Rev***

Oct 12, 2014, 11:52 AM

Ooops! I compiled for the sake of brevity!

Oct 12, 2014, 12:01 PM

Point for the heads up ... but thanks to the magic of donor-dom, it won't make a lick of sense to folks who follow!

Amen, Chick! *****

Oct 12, 2014, 12:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dumpers, those pouting for silent out...move along

Oct 12, 2014, 1:04 PM

The Rev ain't preachin' the sermon you wanna hear. Try something from Mohammad..

-Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Rev you never fail us.....

Oct 12, 2014, 1:15 PM

Great job as always

We need to petition Crump and Bmeist to hire you

Oct 12, 2014, 1:15 PM

For a weekly pumping column. I know I'd read it every danged time!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't know how to be a pumper...

Oct 12, 2014, 6:55 PM

...just seeing things as I see them.

Bump for the nightsiders...***

Oct 12, 2014, 6:53 PM

Re: Bump for the nightsiders...***

Oct 12, 2014, 7:01 PM

Thanks for the bump Rev. Had to work today (even if my voice is a little shallow from yesterday).
Saved me from searching....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for another great sermon Rev!***

Oct 13, 2014, 8:43 AM

Embrace the suck!!!

Oct 13, 2014, 9:13 AM

Where's a brick wall for me to run through!? You've got me fired up now, RevDodd!!!

Well said Rev , on to BC !!! Amen !***

Oct 13, 2014, 5:00 PM

amen rev!***

Oct 13, 2014, 5:11 PM

Re: Sunday sermon: things of beauty - GO TIGERS!!!

Oct 13, 2014, 10:04 PM

Thank you, as always for your post.
I was there during those seasons as well.
It was not even in my thoughts to not support my
TIGERS. How sweet it made the season a year or
so later when Notre Dame came to the valley. It
was a game with some similarities to this past weekend,
except we lost that one. BUT, Notre Dame knew
they had played some football, and it required some
4th Qtr trickeration on their part, to do it.

Looking at their players at the beginning of that game,
you could tell they were intimidated, by our crowd.
Pregame, the team was all huddled together in the
middle of the field, and were looking outward toward
the fans. I was so proud of our team, and our fans.
I think that was one of the seasons our Cheerleaders
won the National Spirit Award, don't remember if it was that year or not.
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quite a few guys played with tremendous

Oct 13, 2014, 10:15 PM

fire and brimstone but none like a kid named Boulware. Glad he was available when Tony went down.

Can we all remember when the CLEMSON TIGERS would have lost this game. Say AMEN!

Replies: 30
| visibility 3,378
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic