Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Straight outta Clemson...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Straight outta Clemson...

Dec 9, 2014, 10:21 AM

Man our country has gotten way too touchy. Who cares if a private fraternity wants to have a ghetto style theme party. That's their right. Administration should not overreact.

Fraternities on balance are a good thing. These kind of parties, and much worse, go on all the time. Only difference is 24 hour news cycle and too much sensitivity.

Will not affect recruiting one bit. A few years ago Auburn fraternity had pictures of same kind of party but with blackface and Jheri curl wigs. They signed their best recruiting class ever. People like to feign shock and insult because it promotes their political agenda.

Best regards, CGD

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Straight outta Clemson...

Dec 9, 2014, 10:24 AM

Yeah seen that, nobody will take that seriously anymore because that stuff comes up to much. To me its just as racist for the ones saying the pic is racist, mainly because by claiming its racist they are assuming all gangbangers and thugs are black. But this country has gotten sensitive over the years and it seems it only makes news if its targeted one direction.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good stuff there.***

Dec 9, 2014, 10:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!****

Dec 9, 2014, 10:29 AM

Hell No!!!!

Re: Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!****

Dec 9, 2014, 10:56 AM

Fraternities have caused the demise of many college students. I personally have 3 friends whose sons flunked out of college because of time requirements placed on them by the fraternity they were
rushing. Two of these kids attended Clemson . I know fraternities do have some good qualities and brothers form a lifelong bond but they also breed some bad traits. On the other hand, there are some really great frats that do a lot of social good. However, I am truly thankful my son never had any interest in frats while he attended Clemson. Not meaning to throw stones at anyone, just giving my observation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2014, 11:08 AM

Do not have a dog in the fight but I think flunking out is on the kid personally not the fraternity. Either learn to utilize your time or make a decision on which is more important.

null

Your three friends....

Dec 9, 2014, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!**** ]

with sons who flunked out says far more about the kids than it does about any fraternity.

Time management and prioritizing are life lessons alot of kids insist on learning the hard way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 9, 2014, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!**** ]

If failing ... drop frat and focus on studying. Parents forgot to instill common sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2014, 11:05 AM

The fact this made the news is ridiculous! Clemson`s admin guy actually said, "demeaning to other cultures". Are you kidding me? For God's sake, let's not demean the gang culture!

True Gentleman?

Dec 9, 2014, 11:12 AM

Over reaction? Yes, it is but the biggest question is why have these stupid theme parties anyways? Sick of dressing up like each other everyday and needing a break from the norm? The backlash is felt by the College and the fraternity. When you wear those letters you represent the fraternal organization, when you wear a Clemson ring you represent our college. Be lucky that the only backlash is in the media and the real Crips haven't done anything, because that is not out the question seeing how the headquarters is near Chicago.

Dec 9, 2014, 11:47 AM

When I read "racist" party, I thought kids may have dressed up in kkk outfits. And then when I read what had really happened it sounded so dumb for somebody to get upset over it.

Dec 9, 2014, 11:49 AM

It's the dang world we live in. Now if a black frat had a whitemas party we would not hear a word out of it. And it may be a stupid comparison but that tv show blackish? A tv show called whitish wouldn't even get past the first draft of ###### writing let alone be on tv. And lastly, why is everyone thinking this is so racist because of gangs? Are these people condoning gangs? I can promise you also that there are plenty of white people in gangs so the people calling this racist should be considered racist for thinking these Clemson students were strictly referring to African Americans.

I think you meant ot say...

Dec 9, 2014, 11:53 AM

Sororities, on balance, are a great thing.

And fraternal organizations, outside of education are o.k.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Dec 9, 2014, 12:35 PM

Good points all,... when I was at CU there once was a Jim Jones party. Everyone had to bring a bottle of liquor, dump it in a bathtub, mix it with purple cool-aid, and pass the cup! Irreverent? You better believe it! Insulting to families directly affected by the Jonestown massacre? Probably (if they ever heard about it,... unlikely)! A part of the 'edge of the envelope' behavior that is typically part of campus life? Definitely!

Let me be clear people,.... you can't please all of the people all of the time. Even when your behavior can be deemed as offensive, in America you have freedom to act that way. Certainly there are limits, but when we start dictating everything as either being PC or not PC, that is taking away the very freedoms we enjoy.

As long as they're not breaking any laws, let college student be college students!

well said***

Dec 9, 2014, 3:56 PM

d

candyman... you must be referring to the "Return to Guyana

Dec 9, 2014, 7:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Straight outta Clemson... ]

Party" thrown by the Chi Psi fraternity in '78 or '79. I lived on the 2nd floor of Norris Hall from 1975-79. Never joined, but my roommate & I were sorta unofficial members and went to most of their parties. As I recall, there were a couple of those big galvanized trash cans labelled "Jim Jones Juice" with sliced fruit inside and everybody had to contribute at least a half pint of any clear liquor. They just poured it all in together and a guy was stirring it up with a wooden boat paddle. Straight outta Animal House...

A buddy of mine had been shroomin' at a cow pasture over near Pendleton and made a significant contribution to the Juice. Good times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

i keep looking for the constitutional amendment

Dec 9, 2014, 4:53 PM

that says you cannot make jokes about race or gender..been looking for years..must be buried in the really fine print.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Re: Academia = PC Police***

Dec 9, 2014, 6:37 PM

Dec 10, 2014, 11:39 AM

I do not know of what you speak. However frats are bunch of kids and adults acting stupid! grow up already.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic