Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Starting to get concerned with our 19 class
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Starting to get concerned with our 19 class

Jun 22, 2018, 7:51 AM

17 commitments ... average ranking of like 88. We have a lower average ranking than the coots and Mississippi state. I know rankings aren’t everything, but the teams with highest ranked recruiting class win national championships. .. the past few years we have had too 3-5 class in average ranking for perspective.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why post that? What's the upside?*****

Jun 22, 2018, 7:53 AM

And why post it when the subject has been beat to death. So much so that David Hood

Jun 22, 2018, 8:21 AM

Wrote an article explaining the process and rankings to all of us. These guys just need to stop and let the process play out. It’s not like our staff has missed on a ton of recruits over the years. We are second in terms of ON THE FIELD success only to Alabama right now for a reason.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why post that? What's the upside?*****

Jun 22, 2018, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Why post that? What's the upside?***** ]

to get bashed. I was hoping to hear some opinions on the matter. I have heard some good points... If someone maybe responded with the number of guys we planned on taking and some higher ranked targets that we still have a good shot with...that'd be cool.

Jun 22, 2018, 12:46 PM

You may have gotten a response if this hasn't been explained over and over again. If you really need reassurance then just go back through the board, sure you will find plenty of answers there. As far as targets I think we only have 1 and 2 star players left that we are recruiting so you might as well just jump off the wagon and find another team its all down hill from here.

Jun 22, 2018, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Why post that? What's the upside?***** ]

So in other words you want to ##### and moan, when you really have no clue what you're talking about?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Starting to get concerned with our 19 class

Jun 22, 2018, 7:56 AM

Really tired of these posts at this point. Is it signing day yet? No. Has the season been played and every player committed to a school? No. Has this coaching staff given us any reason to doubt their evaluation and recruiting skills? No. So, how about everybody stop worrying about something they have no control over and just let this thing play out, because I guarantee February will roll around and we'll be on here talking about how great the staff did on the recruiting trail yet again

Jun 22, 2018, 8:39 AM

Not every one is worried ,I just see one poster ,who knows no more than I do ,questioning a staff that is second to none .Go Tigers

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jun 22, 2018, 8:00 AM

sorry.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Jun 22, 2018, 8:04 AM

Yep. It looks bad. Clemson is only ranked 4th at the moment on Rivals and 5th on 247. This class is really sucking big time. Meanwhile, the Gamecocks have rocketed all the way down to 9th. Geez Louise, what does it take to satisfy some of you people?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2018, 8:26 AM

purely based on volume right now. How many other schools have 17 commits? We are going to drop out of the top 10, probably drop out of top 15 when its all said and done next February. We're going to run out of room for top talent because of the quantity of 3*'s. It's funny to see people on here defend this class the same way the coots do. Dabo and crew are probably handing out a lot of schollys because this is a big class. The 3* offers are committing first because when you get an offer from clemson, and your second best offer is Wake Forest, you know where to choose. The bigger name recruits hold off because they have a lot of offers. I'm concerned that when we get to november/december we will have to turn away some 4 and 5* recruits because we are full of 3* already. Dabo and the crew needs to slow down. It's way to early to have 17 commits already.

To add on to this, We signed a very high quality 2018 class which is great. 2020 is shaping up to be an awesome recruiting year as well. If we can pull in at least 10 4/5 star guys in 2019 we shouldn't be too concerned because that is about what 2018 was. One down year in recruiting isn't going to destroy a program. The most important position is QB and we have the covered for at least the next 3 years, possibly more with the 2020 class.

Jun 22, 2018, 8:34 AM

Come back and let me know how that prediction works out for you. We still have plenty of room for top talent and don't be surprised when these guys move up the board based on camp results.

The difference in this class and SCar of years past is, we will compete and land 5* players down the stretch. If you really believe this staff suddenly can't compete on the recruiting trail, then tell me what changed? Otherwise enjoy the results and stop questioning the process.

null

Jun 22, 2018, 8:36 AM

You're literally doing exactly what I said and defending this class like a coot. Sure a couple of these guys may move up in the rankings. A couple may move down. Take everything for face value.

!remindme 3 years

NOBODY has to defend Clemson coaches in recruiting.

Jun 22, 2018, 8:52 AM

IT defends itself!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you gnashing your teeth?

Jun 22, 2018, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Starting to get concerned with our 19 class ]

You seem like you're gnashing your teeth.

Breath man. Its June. If signing day was today we would be fine. In February we will be fine. No need to stress yourself so much man.

Agree***

Jun 22, 2018, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Starting to get concerned with our 19 class ]

You worry easy..hate to see you at a 4 way stop.***

Jun 22, 2018, 8:05 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 22, 2018, 8:07 AM

There is no reason to be concerned yet...big classes always have base lower-medium stars. And our coaches are among the best of the best talent evaluators. Booth, his teammate, crouch, and others are still out there. Plus alot of these players will gain stars too. Im rather excited, all these players i like. Dont start sweating til early signing day, plus dont completely trust ratings system...most of it is click bait and camp attendance...GO TIGERS!!!

I think the explanation here is that we need to sign a huge

Jun 22, 2018, 8:08 AM

class this year, probably 30+, and it's pretty much impossible to fill a class that large with 4 and 5 star players. In addition to that, a lot of the good 4-5 star prospects wait until late in the process to commit and that makes even more difficult to wait on them when you need to fill a huge class.

I think the staff is signing a lot of safe prospects right now for depth and numbers. I don't buy into the notion that all of these 3-star guys are underrated and they will all be great players. A decent number of them probably won't see the field very much during their career. That's OK though - you don't need all 85 scholarship players to be studs. And a couple of them will probably end up being very good players.

What we really need in this class is about 15 or so studs. We currently have around half of that number. I'll be concerned if signing day rolls around and we have 10 4-5 star players and 20 3-star players, but i really don't think that will happen.

We top out at 30

Jun 22, 2018, 8:30 AM

We can sign 25 guys but are allowed 5 early enrollees

Is there a hard cap of 5 on counting guys back to

Jun 22, 2018, 8:34 AM

the previous class? We only signed 17 scholarship players last year.

I believe so

Jun 22, 2018, 9:05 AM

I just googled it and read it on some random website. Take it with a grade of slaw

Re: Is there a hard cap of 5 on counting guys back to

Jun 22, 2018, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Is there a hard cap of 5 on counting guys back to ]

Yes. 30 is the hard cap for a class. You can’t take more than 30 anymore.

Jun 22, 2018, 8:09 AM

Let me put a little perspective on this for anyone that has ever been to a class reunion. Remember the beauty queen that later had 3 kids and gained 75 lbs? That's the can't miss 5* that turned out to be a bust. How about the mousy, glasses-wearing, 2* girl in science class that nobody paid attention to and then blossomed in college into a smoking-hot babe? That's your future Pro-bowler. If you would have asked all of the "experts" in high school how these young ladies were going to turn out, most all of them would have been wrong. Ranking high school kids as to how they will turn out as adults is a money-making form of entertainment and that is all it is. No future telling going on here, just talking heads giving us something to discuss during the off-season. Dabo and the boys know what they're doing. Give the cake a little time to rise before you get too worried.

The other part of the story is that 8 out of the 10

Jun 22, 2018, 8:12 AM

beauty queens are now profession models while all of the rest of the mousy girls are now mousy looking soccer moms.

Re: The other part of the story is that 8 out of the 10

Jun 22, 2018, 8:27 AM

There's generally a few that don't follow that trend. While I do agree that most (8/10) stay on the trajectory that started in the teen years, the skill is in finding the outliers.

Jun 22, 2018, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Starting to get concerned with our 19 class ]

Quite the coot logic. We’ve been arguing this for years!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jun 22, 2018, 8:31 AM

What have you been producing with your 3 stars?? Just curious. Any conference championships? Any top 25 teams by the end of the season? Any playoff appearances? Many if any wins against major teams?

your problem...your team is full of mostly 3 stars...that still were three stars by signing day.

Kaboom!! Direct hit!!! Will the coot understand is the

Jun 22, 2018, 8:55 AM

unknown.

Jun 22, 2018, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Starting to get concerned with our 19 class ]

Tigerman1978 preaching the TRUTH to the coot!! Hell yea!!! Thumbs up from me

I wouldn’t trade our class for anyone elses***

Jun 22, 2018, 8:15 AM

Jun 22, 2018, 8:21 AM

I've pointed this out once, and will again...

1. None of them have played their senior season yet...there will be some that get seen in camps they haven't been to yet that will end up higher rated by signing time.

2. All of these below were 3 stars or below when recruited:

Vic Beasley:
https://247sports.com/Player/Vic-Beasley-3765/high-school-8309

Grady Jarrett:
https://247sports.com/Player/Grady-Jarrett-538/high-school-9285

Jordan Leggett:
https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Leggett-16632/high-school-27478

Bashaud Breeland:
https://247sports.com/Player/Bashaud-Breeland-3766/high-school-13984

Cordrea Tankersley (3 star Composite):
https://247sports.com/Player/Cordrea-Tankersley-7801/prep-35847

BJ Goodson:
https://247sports.com/Player/BJ-Goodson-7249/high-school-14131

Jadar Johnson:
https://247sports.com/Player/Jadar-Johnson-13371

Adam Humphries (3star composite):
https://247sports.com/player/adam-humphries-158

Hunter Renfrow:
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2014/hunter-renfrow-17064

**technically, Deondre Hopkins was low rated until his senior year, when he started going to camps.

Ryan Carter per 247 was a 2 star..led the team in interceptions last year...

If you'd trade that roster for any 3 star roster SCar has put on the field, let me know.

Where’s TJ Green?

Jun 22, 2018, 8:24 AM

??

I don't think anyone is arguing that 3-star guys can't

Jun 22, 2018, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Starting to get concerned with our 19 class ]

make an impact. Some 3-star guys are underrated and others blossom later and become great players, but a much lower % of 3-star players are going to make a serious impact than 4 or 5 star players. That's just a fact and there are stats out there to back it up.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not concerned about this class right now, but i also don't have any illusions that the staff is just outsmarting everyone on all of these 3-star kids and that they are all going to turn out to be 4-5 star caliber players either.

What's going on right is largely just a numbers game IMO. We need to sign a massive class and it's impossible to do that with all 4-5 star guys so the staff is building a safe core of players right now for this class so that they are assured they get the big numbers they need, and then they will try to reel in some big fish later in the process.

I think around 15 4-5 star guys and 15 3-star guys is perfect for this class.

Jun 22, 2018, 8:22 AM

Starting to get concerned that some in here can not read a calendar and realize that it is June. Also, that until the pen meets paper words really don't matter. Just because a kid verbally commits his recruiting does not stop.

So you're complaining about our 4th ranked recruiting class?

Jun 22, 2018, 8:25 AM

That seems logical.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jun 22, 2018, 8:30 AM

THE PURE IDIOCY OF THIS BOARD IS A SIGHT TO BEHOLD. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE THE MOT. GOTTA LOVE EM.

Jun 22, 2018, 9:03 AM

Fans are gonna fan.......Not going to lie, I'd be worried too if Kirby was accepting commits from so many 3-stars. But what do we know? Next to nothing compared to coaches.

I'd take 2 of the top 10 recruits in the country

Jun 22, 2018, 9:07 AM

with this class full of 3*. would be less concerned

What does it matter the stars if you're going to let

Jun 22, 2018, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Starting to get concerned with our 19 class ]

the WR run wide open free on 2nd and 26 with a national championship on the line. I thought Kirby was a defensive guy.

me too***

Jun 22, 2018, 9:12 AM

Jun 22, 2018, 9:37 AM

My thought process. Yes this will be a large class, and we knew this going in. My hope that was with a class of this size that we could finally bust down the door and compete for the top spot. Thus far into the recruiting class I would bet we finish around 9. That is all well and good, but I was hoping we would be 1,2, or 3. So bash me wanting to be the best, but with our recent success and the bad ### football facility I thought we would have our pick of the litter this year. SORREY

How is clemson recruiting going to make you the best?

Jun 22, 2018, 9:52 AM

Try some L ron hubberd books.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 22, 2018, 9:37 AM

Stamping stars on a kid's ### is big money for the stampers. Recruiting kids who have the skill set and upside to be great players is proven reality. Your post is naive and embarrassing, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2018, 9:45 AM

my post is based on stats. You win national championships with highly ranked classes, on occasion you can scoot by with a generational type talent at QB and decent classes. Who has recruited the best over the past 10 years? Alabama by far. Who has dominated college football? You're the one being naïve.

Your Opinion is based on what?***

Jun 22, 2018, 10:01 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 22, 2018, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Starting to get concerned with our 19 class ]

Clemson pays $M to our coaches to compete a the highest level. Anyone with half a brain has confidence in their proven ability to do so. That's why they don't listen to you. Go Pull for Muschicken.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2018, 10:00 AM

It's simple. The coaches don't sit around and look at ESPN and Rivals recruiting rankings. They evaluate players and offer who they want. There's a reason all these guys who work for these websites aren't coaches

Jun 22, 2018, 10:07 AM

I was curious to see if we were slumming, so I broke it down....

QB: (1)
Taisun Phommachanh...#1 dual-threat QB in the country for '19. No problems there.

RB: (1)
Chez Mellusi...4-star from Florida with a ton of offers. Looks a fair bit like an Andre Ellington on film. Definite solid take.

WR: (2)
Frank Ladson...high-end 4-star per rivals, likely headed for 5-stars. One of the top two targets on Jeff Scott's board (the other was a California WR!) Don't see a problem.
Brannon Spector...3 stars. Slot guy who looks like a carbon-copy clone of Adam Humphries. Again: don't see a problem. The day Dabo misses on a slot guy, Hades freezes over.

TE: (2)
Jaelyn Lay...4-star from Georgia, ton of offers. Zero problems with the take.
Davis Allen...3-star from Georgia. Bad school team but stands out on film anyhow. Lot of offers came in after Clemson started showing interest.

OL: (1)
Hunter Rayburn...big 3-star from Florida. Lengthy offer sheet. Looks like an OG or RT at the D1 level. Solid take, just wish we had three more like him committed. Biggest problem at OL is lack of numbers, which does forebode we might have to hit the fallback board.

DE: (2)
Ruke Orhorhoro...3-stars (now) but has only played 1 year of football. 5-star tools and this isn't spin. Michigan REALLY wanted this kid too so it wasn't just us. Strongside end/3-tech tweener, explosive athlete, tremendous-character kid...this is one you get kind of excited about because he's a rare duck, athletically. Zero problems with this take.
Logan Cash...3-star guy from Georgia. Reminds you strongly of Shaq Lawson on film. RELENTLESS, and incredibly productive in HS. Wish he was a little taller and longer but you can't argue with his productivity and his tape is Big Hit after Big Hit. Definite good take, especially the year after you've signed two five-star staples in Thomas and Henry who are likely to be starting for a good long while.

DT: (1)
Tayquon Johnson...3-star kid who has only played 1 year of football and has massive athletic upside. This kid was a must-get and projects to play early next year. Watch the film; he's absolutely Clemson-level. Problem is we need another couple like him and this year is thin, nationally, for DT's.

LB: (2)
Bryton Constantin...when we signed him he was 3-stars. Now he's out of the bag. We got a good one here...Venables & Co. think he was one of the top 2-3 LB's in the Southeast, actually. No problems.
Greg Williams...3-star in-state kid who was a camp offer. No problems there. Camp kids you know everything about.

DB: (3)
Sheridan Jones...4-star from VA with a gazillion offers. Big prototype corner who could have written his ticket anywhere but chose us.
Joseph Charleston...see above. 4-star, ton of offers, likely projects as a SS in college.
Lannden Zanders...probably the most controversial of the DB takes. Low-end 3-star, thin offer sheet, but the coaches really liked him for whatever reason. Tape shows a ballhawk centerfielder free safety type. We'll see if the coaches are right on this guy.

K: (1)
Aidan Swanson...only the #1 rated kicker in high school, but PK's never get more than two stars, which is weird. IMG kid from Bradenton, which should tell you just about everything.

If you gotta be concerned...

I dunno. I am concerned - slightly - with the lack of numbers on the OL. Whiffing on Harry Miller smarts. I would also very much like us to get another big DT to replace the recently-departed Josh Belk and those guys are thin on the ground this year.

We could really, really use another big CB in the class...we've got two likely safeties, but only one CB so far. (We also need another LB, but we also lead large for Crouch.)

So...sorry, this looks pretty much about like what we've been winning with. Keep in mind we've averaged about 13th nationally in recruiting the last five years. This class will come in ahead of that.

This is a pretty durn good class thus far, people. The coaches will definitely think they're doing well and I'd be inclined to agree, especially if we can get some traction at OL and DT, our two biggest "need" areas at the moment.

Jun 22, 2018, 2:47 PM

This is a great summary and take on current class. Thanks for posting.

Agreed on lack of OL commits. This AM when I saw the most recent commit thought we must start taking/getting some on OL soon...

Must we remember it was the OL (in)effectiveness that lead to our loss against Tide in Jan. 18.

Jun 22, 2018, 10:34 AM

Just look at the list of commitments. We have a guy from Michigan that has only played 1 year of football and is already a 3* recruit. after this season He'll be moving up in the ranking to probably a high 4* guy and the coaches know this. We have other 3* recruits that have every major school offering them. That don't sound like a 3* to me. He'll be making a bigtime move up the rankings as well. I think when it's all said and done in February 2019 over half of those that are rated as 3*'s now will be 4*'s. Ben Boulware was offered as a 3* recruit by coach V and ending up winning the Jack Lambert Award for the best LB in college football. Vick Beasley was a 2* TE when he came out of high school and ended up a 1st round draft and lead the NFL in sacks his 2nd season. Leave it up to the coaches to know who to offer. Go Tigers.

Bama clubbed us like a baby seal last time on the field

Jun 22, 2018, 2:07 PM

with a bunch of 5 stars.

they haven't even played a single game of college football.

Jun 22, 2018, 2:45 PM

Can we wait until then and how we end up before we start to get worried?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic