Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stargazing Recruiting Nerds want Hunter Johnson:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Stargazing Recruiting Nerds want Hunter Johnson:

Oct 15, 2017, 1:23 PM

It seems we have many recruiting nerd types thinking they have more knowledge than our coaches concerning who should play. This is preposterous. Coaches make mistakes of course but I will defer to them over the recruiting nerd know it all who gives a player more credit playing in H.S. and in shorts during recruiting combines as opposed to seeing the same players in pads against our D for 9 months.

HJ looked very good against Wake for ONE POSSESSION, and some want to hand him the 2nd spot (and some the first spot) based on this because of his 5 star status. Do you think they would have been clamoring for Nick Shuessler based on looking good against Wake? Heck, no, because Shuessler was only a two or three star recruit.

These recruiting nerds need to come down from the stars (pun intended), and get in the real world to see that starting jobs are won during the grind of practice as well as playing well in games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are the reasons Johnson should not be given

Oct 15, 2017, 1:27 PM

an opportunity to show whether or not he can be more productive than ZC on gameday?

I haven't seen a good one yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What are the reasons Johnson should not be given

Oct 15, 2017, 1:32 PM

They see how they respond in practice and judge accordingly.

So we should risk playing musical chairs and inhibiting offensive flow when playoff implications are on the line because armchair coaches want perspective?

Gotcha.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, our only option is ZC or musical chairs. Good straw man

Oct 15, 2017, 1:44 PM

you have constructed.

I have yet to see a good reason that HJ should not be given a shot to see what he can do. The performance of ZC so far in games hasn't shown there to be any gap at all between the two. He's been noticeably rattled on two occasions. Hunter Johnson has not. The game slows down for some people and it speeds up for others.

There's only one way to find out who's who.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, our only option is ZC or musical chairs. Good straw man

Oct 15, 2017, 1:53 PM

Considering the straw was constructed from coaches who played the game and get paid millions that evaluated the two for 6 + months.

I’d say my straw is pretty #### strong.

Oct 15, 2017, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the reasons Johnson should not be given ]

All people are saying is HJ deserves atleast a series or two.
Cooper played a whole half of football against a bad Syracuse team and loss, as far as i'm concerned he had his chance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because he got beaten out for the 2nd spot during the

Oct 15, 2017, 1:46 PM [ in reply to What are the reasons Johnson should not be given ]

last 9 months as determined by Swinney, Elliot, Scott, and Streeter by watching practice, a few games, and watching many hours of film over and over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ZC doesn't look as comfortable on gameday as he must look

Oct 15, 2017, 1:54 PM

in practice. In games, HJ has outproduced ZC. Perhaps HJ just makes better game time decisions.

There's only one way to find out.

Look for HJ to get the same number of snaps as ZC in practice this week with the 1st team. If KB can't go, and I doubt he can vs. GT, ZC will start and HJ will get in early.

HJ had two quick outs to Tee and the quick

Oct 15, 2017, 2:17 PM

TD strike to Smith. You actually believe ZC couldn't have made those easy throws?

Why are you so against giving him a chance?

Oct 15, 2017, 2:21 PM

There is no obvious separation between the two on game days. The game time performance is much too close to not give him a shot, especially when ZC isn't producing many points.

Not against giving him a chance. We played 2 QBs

Oct 15, 2017, 2:30 PM

against Cuse. Rarely do three get a chance in one game (unless Auburn) if that game is close.

Hopefully, KB2 is healthy for GT and the rest of the season, then it won't matter.

There's a very high probability that Bryant will miss a game

Oct 15, 2017, 2:35 PM

or more this season given his current injuries and the way we use him in the running game. It's going to matter. I doubt he plays against GT.

Why do you doubt him playing against GT?***

Oct 15, 2017, 2:39 PM

Because of the concussion.

Oct 15, 2017, 2:44 PM

He was out cold for quite awhile. Brains injuries are serious. Plus, as much as he runs, it wouldn't surprise me if the ankle issue lingers as well.

we sure haven't seen it yet***

Oct 15, 2017, 2:48 PM [ in reply to HJ had two quick outs to Tee and the quick ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ZC hasn't complete 1 pass over 10 yards so I say NO he could not

Oct 15, 2017, 3:20 PM [ in reply to HJ had two quick outs to Tee and the quick ]

The touch on that pass from HJ was awesome.

Good lord I have never seen Tiger fans so down on one our own QB's. Do you want HJ off the team ? I'm not saying HJ is better at this point as I don't know but Cooper had his chance and we could not make up the 3 point deficit. Maybe HJ can do better!

Zerrick Cooper had an entire half to beat s Horrid defense in Syracuse and could not get it done. Why not allow HJ the same opportunity is all anyone is saying. Against GT he should be given s chance to see what he can do, if not able to move the Tiger offense, then put ZC back in there. Surely we can stop GA Tech as we have controlled them 2 years in a row.

HJ has the potential to be great one day. As to who should

Oct 15, 2017, 3:25 PM

play? Like you, I simply don't know.

cole "beat" out watson as well.***

Oct 15, 2017, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Because he got beaten out for the 2nd spot during the ]

Yep, Stoudt and Watson both played real well in

Oct 15, 2017, 3:34 PM

first half against UGA. They stuck with Stoudt mostly in 2nd half due to bad field position.

if watson starts and plays the whole game we win

Oct 15, 2017, 3:37 PM

watson >>>>>>>>>>>>> stout but of course dabo went by seniority

Yep, Stoudt messed our whole year up by driving down

Oct 15, 2017, 3:49 PM

field for TD on first possession against Dawgs.

Oct 15, 2017, 3:37 PM [ in reply to What are the reasons Johnson should not be given ]

I have to disagree Chuck. He gets a chance everyday at practice. For some reason that doesn't seem apparent, the coaches are not seeing it in Johnson in practice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree for the most part***

Oct 15, 2017, 1:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i have no idea what ZC's star# was but I've seen both play

Oct 15, 2017, 1:34 PM

on game day. Johnson moved us to a TD and looked like a leader hitting his targets accuratly. ZC missing several with little leadership.He also has twice the playing time,HJ should get the same.especially after what he has shown

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with most everything you said. The only thing that

Oct 15, 2017, 1:36 PM

I can see make some want to second guess the coaches decision is their history of being too loyal to some players instead of playing the best person. We've seen it happen a number of times. But with that said, I support their decisions. Their job is on the line, not mine.

yes ei Cole Stout***

Oct 15, 2017, 1:38 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt started three games over a healthy Deshaun

Oct 15, 2017, 1:46 PM

1-@ Georgia in Deshaun's first career game

2-SC State and Deshaun played more

3-@FSU, where Deshaun took over on the third series and played the rest of the way.

Doesn't appear they were that loyal to Stoudt. And to not understand starting a senior who most here thought would be good over a true freshman who missed the spring game and a good bit of summer workouts due to injury in Athens is pretty ignorant

Re: Agree with most everything you said. The only thing that

Oct 15, 2017, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Agree with most everything you said. The only thing that ]

I think it is safe to say that so far our offense to date has been more or less a duct tape and bailing wire offense. By that I mean we look like gang busters for a couple of series and for no apparent reason look like we have forgotten how to play. Now with KB down the system is broken and needs a fix. None of us really will know what takes place in the next two weeks, but it should be some deep soul searching by the staff and team.

Ask yourself this:

Oct 15, 2017, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Agree with most everything you said. The only thing that ]

How many times have they gone with less experienced players over veterans?

Many times. Sammy, Bellamy, Hyatt, Anchrum, Simpson, Pollard, Terrell, Cain, McCloud, Logan Rudolph, Van Smith, Wilkins, Big Dex, Ferrell, Austin Bryant...

There are many more. I get so tired of hearing how they favor seniority when for the most part, it simply isn't true.

Re: Agree with most everything you said. The only thing that

Oct 15, 2017, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Agree with most everything you said. The only thing that ]

Stoudt Watson comes to mind.

Re: Stargazing Recruiting Nerds want Hunter Johnson:

Oct 15, 2017, 1:37 PM

Completely agree. I was trying to make this point last night, but you did a much better job than me.

Oct 15, 2017, 2:03 PM

Disagree completely bud... the fans saw with our eyes what Johnson did... period who cares if it was one possession... it took him one... Cooper played an entire half how many TDs has he thrown... I'll wait

They both have one TD pass this year

Oct 15, 2017, 2:05 PM

hth

He's the only backup QB with a good looking series...Cooper

Oct 15, 2017, 2:18 PM

has yet to have one of those

Fairly good looking on drive to FG

Oct 15, 2017, 2:38 PM

to tie it at 17-17. He got sacked on a key play. His only other scoring drive Etienne ran 52 yards on Third play.

yeah, that 2 yard pass to Ray Ray on 3rd and 12 was a thing

Oct 15, 2017, 2:42 PM

of beauty wasn't it?

It was 12 yards on 3rd and 16.***

Oct 15, 2017, 3:01 PM

He threw a 2 yard pass on 3rd and long and Ray Ray got

Oct 15, 2017, 3:34 PM

close due to a Herculean effort

Oct 15, 2017, 2:45 PM

Frustration maybe...but let's not forget stout coming out of the GA game two years or so ago and Watson lighting it up!!!!

I trust the coaches, but maybe Watson should have been playing earlier.

Also, once KB gimping around you might think the staff would get him out.

We were off as a team against Syracuse so maybe the coaches were shell shocked too,

Hope we get it together. Go Tigers

Watson played in 3rd series against UGA.***

Oct 15, 2017, 3:02 PM

Oct 15, 2017, 2:46 PM

Frustration maybe...but let's not forget stout coming out of the GA game two years or so ago and Watson lighting it up!!!!

I trust the coaches, but maybe Watson should have been playing earlier.

Also, once KB gimping around you might think the staff would get him out.

We were off as a team against Syracuse so maybe the coaches were shell shocked too,

Hope we get it together. Go Tigers

ZC hasn't shown me any consistent throws

Oct 15, 2017, 2:48 PM

Seems to always be off the mark. Especially 10+ yard throws.

HJ seems more accurate given the limited sample.

Imho if HJ started the outcome may have been different. ZC seems to have little leadership in the huddle. Everyone looked like they were waiting for someone else to make the big play.

I'd take an unproven pocket passer and our 4 RBs over ZC right now.

It’s not just about recruiting rankings

Oct 15, 2017, 2:51 PM

although that is part of it. Hunter Johnson is one of our highest rated signees ever. It isn’t unreasonable to wonder if he might be able to provide us with a spark.

Nobody was calling for him to play more until Bryant was injured and Cooper failed to perform well.

As I’ve said before, I was fine with the coaches going with Cooper as Bryant’s backup, but I am not fine with the coaches continuing to play Cooper when he did not show an ability to make consistent zone reads or complete fairly simple passes.

Those same coaches you seem to never question are the same ones who keep saying “best is the standard” and who say that competition makes players better. I didn’t see any evidence of either with the way the QB situation was handled at Syracuse.

If Johnson came in against Syracuse and played worse than Cooper, fine, go back to Cooper. But I have a hard time believing Johnson would’ve missed multiple passes by 10-15 yards like Cooper did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I do question it because we lost. I also question

Oct 15, 2017, 3:15 PM

our 4-2-5 D the whole game and permitting Cuse to run so easily with Tre Lamar on the bench.

But it's easy in hindsight when you lose, and I do it in a way that is respectful to our coaches in that they know more that everyone on this board combined.

Like: "I wonder if we respected their WRs too much and made it too easy to run", as opposed to " HJ should be our starter" since I know more than the coaches.

So your issue isn't as much with people wanting to see

Oct 15, 2017, 3:51 PM

Hunter Johnson play, as it is the way they are voicing their desires?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sure. Some people act like ZC isn't a legitimate choice

Oct 15, 2017, 4:18 PM

and that HJ is the only choice when they have such a little body of work to go by.

Ok, do you suggest we recruit 1* QB's so they can ride the bench??

Oct 15, 2017, 3:14 PM

I'm wondering since a QB rated highly by EVERY recruiting source and by our very own coaches determined he was best pocket passer in country. Stargazing nerds was pretty good though ????. I'm guessing you haven't accounted talent, nor have I but I can tell you I want the 4* and 5* with good character every single time.

Sure but that thinking should go out the window when they

Oct 15, 2017, 3:19 PM

hit campus. Recruiting rankings are potential only. If all 5 stars don't improve a lot after practice starts, odds are they will never play.

Yes, but 5* without good coaching means less but I think our coaches are excellent

Oct 15, 2017, 3:28 PM

therefore, minus an injury, HJ should be an excellent choice. Heck he came in early and has had 10 months, a lot more than had he arrived in June.

Highly recruited athletes are only as good as the coaches/team/system that they play for. IMO, HJ is choice to start if KB cannot play.

So, our coaches are excellent at coaching but shouldn't be

Oct 15, 2017, 3:36 PM

trusted with who should play?

Good try but question for you, did they announce starter got Ga Tech yet

Oct 15, 2017, 4:00 PM

my preface was that HJ should be given s chance if KB is a no go. I trust the coaches but honestly I 100% question KB being in the game when he was concussed and will never understand any reason why he did so.

It was blatantly obvious that Bryant was severely injured. 3 consecutive plays he was BLASTED and was staggering around. Highly upsetting just watching it and think it was poor decision. My opinion but one based on observation of situation. I know Dabo and coaches didn't know it would happen the way it did, no argument there. BUT with a mobile QB he has a weapon removed and is a sitting duck and was progressively getting worse as game played out. Already knowing his ankle is injured should be enough to make sure you monitor in continually, they made mistake.

Nailed it.***

Oct 15, 2017, 3:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic