Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Star power?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Star power?

Jun 11, 2018, 8:37 AM

Anna just made forecasts for a low 3-star and a 0-star to Clemson. Why does it seem so different this year? Why are we filling slots with low ranked players? Last year at this time we were seeing the likes of Thomas, Henry, and other high ranked players forecasting to Clemson.

It's almost like we're in some MSU mode of recruiting. I'm not saying Dabo and team can't "coach up" with the best of them. I honestly felt Clemson would see an Ohio State post-championship run at recruiting. Granted, there are tentacles reaching farther across the country for players, and Clemson is that brand now. So, why all the 3-stars?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Star power?

Jun 11, 2018, 8:43 AM

Before you get hit with the “Dabo is a champion and knows what he’s doing”, I just want to say I am a bit concerned as well and this is a legit topic of discussion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Re: I've seen similar topics....

Jun 11, 2018, 8:47 AM

and I do read the occasion TigerBry and quozzel post (much appreciated btw, guys). I still see the "we're in it with" this kid, or that kid. No pundits seems to think so. And, it just seems like we could be missing out when taking these low ranked guys early.

Maybe it's one of those years, and attrition has caused changes or whatever. But, with transfers numbers up, small classes the last few years, it seems we'd be primed for a large class. It would also seem Clemson is at a point to choose it's players versus conceding to lesser talent. I don't see that trend.

These guys don't even have scouting photos

Jun 11, 2018, 8:55 AM

Watch out, several on here are going to start calling you a Coot!! I just created a thread saying we are lacking that stud 4-5* that is leading the pack and out recruiting for 2019 class. I was called a Coot when basically I was saying the same thing suggesting we seem to be lacking that star recruiter like we have had in recent classes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:sticks and stones, man....

Jun 11, 2018, 8:58 AM

if they can't engage in a standard football topic, they can have at it.

I'll just RA, down vote, and move on ;)

Jun 11, 2018, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: I've seen similar topics.... ]

coot :)

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Star power? ]

Before you guys get overly concerned, take a look at our overall class ranking, 5th, for players who have committed. Evidently, the people evaluating the players who have committed to Clemson are more impressed than a lot of fans. Also, the first thing I look at when a player commits is who else offered them. If a player has offers from schools like Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio St, I don't care a bit about how many stars they have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're fifth bc if quantity, not quality like last year.***

Jun 11, 2018, 12:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: We're fifth bc if quantity, not quality like last year.***

Jun 11, 2018, 1:02 PM

Yep there are classes above ours with 4 or 5 less recruits because our average overall is low. I think its fine if dabo can pull the rest of the class with 4* and 5*. If we fill out with more 3*s this will be a very disappointing class especially 2 years after winning a natty, making the playoffs 3 years in a row, and this being the largest class we've had in quite some time.

I'm not worried---yet

Jun 11, 2018, 9:38 AM

This will be a 30 member (maybe more) class and we have 13. We aren't even half way done with recruiting.

Lots of big fish out there that we are in good position with: Booth, Tuitele, Dobbs, Travon Walker, Ngata, Darnell Wright (visiting this week) and others.

My only concern right now is the goose egg beside O-Line commits.

Re: I'm not worried---yet

Jun 11, 2018, 10:18 AM

I've seen those names, and still wonder why they aren't projecting such guys to Clemson? Booth was - until Allbarn visit. Ngata is the only other name there trending to Clemson at all.

I get we're on some big name player's list(s), but again, why no projections? Are we really not that solid with some of these guys?

On the flip - we do seem to be getting plenty of offers out to no-name guys.

I've also read the post of ranking changes. And that could suffice some. We may have some borderline 3 star guys move to 4. OK??? Are we really that good at projecting talent? We can take on more of a 3 star average this year, and hope they develop?

Just seems like we're recruiting a scout team lately

you can't trust projections

Jun 11, 2018, 10:42 AM

Jackson Carmen was projected to Ohio St. last cycle and commited to us on signing day.

Ray Ray was projected to UCLA when he committed to us. UCLA?

I think if signing day was tomorrow we would land Booth, Ngata, and possibly Dobbs. With a 30 plus recruiting class you are going to have at least 1/3 or more be 3 star guys.

We won the Championship and had the lowest rated overall recruiting rankings ever to do it since they started keeping up with it. we had an average of like 14 or 15 so again I'm not worried about it. Our coaches develop talent and they contribute. Even Jabrill Robinson contributed last year and he was a 2 star. JD Davis started in the playoff game and i'm not sure he was even ranked. Ryan Carter 2* and was by far our best DB last season.

I agree with Booth and Ngata. I don't think we have a hope

Jun 11, 2018, 2:34 PM

in hell of signing Dobbs.

Re: I'm not worried---yet

Jun 11, 2018, 1:02 PM [ in reply to I'm not worried---yet ]

qurious how do we sign 30 players if the NCAA limit is 25?

If they EE, they can count towards the last class.

Jun 11, 2018, 2:00 PM

AFAIK.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Backdate early enrollees to last year's class.***

Jun 11, 2018, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm not worried---yet ]

Jun 11, 2018, 9:44 AM

We offered a lot of guys late, after our historic run last year. Maybe we didn’t get in early enough? I don’t know - but I agree.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here’s one thing to consider:

Jun 11, 2018, 9:59 AM

Player rankings change. Some of our guys may end up being 4 or 5 stars before it's all said and done. I’ve seen ESPN re-evaluate our guys after they commit to us and raise their ranking. Our staff has been really good at hitting on prospects. On paper, based on recruit rankings, we should not have been able to go toe to toe with Bama in 15&16. I remember a few years ago when TJ Green committed as a 2 star. ESPN reviewed his film and immediately bumped him up to a 4 star. Our staff seems to have a knack for finding good players. I’m not trying to throw this out there with OCG’s on either. It’s just a fact. Believe me I see what you guys are saying. There’s a long way to go until signing day. We will see how it plays out but I wouldn’t bet against this staff. Oh by the way we have the #5 class right now. I think we are on the right track. Stay tuned.

Re: Here’s one thing to consider:

Jun 11, 2018, 10:23 AM

I trust our coaching staff that has gotten us to the playoffs 3 years in a row. Apparently, by that stat alone, they know what they are doing. I agree, some of ya'll are sounding like coots. Wait till February and you will see.

Re: Here’s one thing to consider:

Jun 11, 2018, 10:56 AM

Jun 11, 2018, 10:23 AM

a lot of these 3 stars have national offers. Wait until the camps are over, I am sure you will see a boost in a lot of their ratings.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 10:50 AM

Tayquon Johnson is a perfect example. Rated 3 star Rivals and 24/7, not even rated by ESPN. However, he was offered by Bama, UGA, UNC, PSU, and TAM before choosing us. It obviously feels good to pound our chest and say we have 10 5star recruits every year but please mind you, Big Game Hunter Renfrow was a 2 star recruit and has contributed as much, if not more than any 5 star we've ever had.

Jun 11, 2018, 11:13 AM

I to think this is a legitimate discussion to have. I think after last years class that we would turn in a class similar to what Georgia did last year. They had 26 commits and only two were 3 star composite rating - one a 3* kicker and another legacy OL recruit that was a 3*. Hence #1 ranked class. I really have no idea what the draw is to UGA but they are the hot team in recruiting now... and it's got to be hurting us as well as others.

Careful what you ask for - I remember tnetters being happy that uga was doing good again. And don't think for a minute that every team out there isn't telling these recruits that "Dabo" has a seniority complex based on KB getting the nod last year. As untrue as it may be, they're hearing it every which way.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2018, 11:15 AM

I trust our coaches, they have forgotten more about recruiting that we have ever known. This year does seem different. But I also think it is because we have so much young star power, and senior star power right now. Other programs are using that against us saying you'll never get a chance to play. I know a kid that is being recruited by a few SEC schools and has a good list offers from good ACC schools. He is hoping for a Clemson offer and the other schools know this. They have told him that he may never see the field and if he does it'll be his senior year. For instance - another assistant coach at another program told him "Clemson has a 5 star freshman that is 3rd string right now. You may never get to play there." My comment back was Clemson might be the only school that will give a walk on a chance to prove themselves just as much as that 5 star.

Jun 11, 2018, 12:27 PM

well said tigerdoc81 - think I was trying to say something similar to this above but apparently it came out wrong. I think other teams are definitely using everything they can... and yes, I can't stand it when uga, coots, or anyone else outranks us in anything.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I'm honest about it, i have to say it doesn't seem to be

Jun 11, 2018, 12:43 PM

going as well as it has in years past. i don't know why.

Jun 11, 2018, 12:51 PM

I agree there are some concerns. But also watched Williams' highlights and the kid can play. Needs some refinement and he plays too high sometimes but a big body that can run who likes to hit. Sounds like a guy BV loves

We recruit kids that fit our program.

Jun 11, 2018, 1:06 PM

So to fill 30 spots they can not all be 4 and 5 stars. But by the time they are seniors they will be valuable members of our team. Everyone wants us to have a class like uga last year. Well most kids that grow up in GA want to play uga before they are ever recruited. We do not have the same luxury.

Jun 11, 2018, 1:23 PM

Write a letter to Radakovich. He'll surely address your concerns. The sky is falling, right into the Playoffs.

This is what happens when you don't win the Natty ...

Jun 11, 2018, 2:51 PM

Can't live on 2016 forever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic