Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sports Illustrated January 11 1982
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,553

Sports Illustrated January 11 1982

Jan 11, 2021, 12:44 PM

Excerpts from the article:

Perry Tuttle said "You know at 7:30 this morning Homer came to my room and woke me up and said "I'm so nervous I can't sleep. "I said "Homer, those big farm boys are going to kill you." but in the game he was so confident.

It was clear that the Huskers had come up against more of a team than they had expected. "I could tell they were taking us lightly." said Jeff Davis. "Just being around them during the week , around town, at discos, the hotels, the stadium. You could feel it, as if they were saying "We're from the Big 8 and you boys aren't of the same caliber."

There was still 5:24 remaining on the clock when Clemson took over the ball, and so far in the quarter its two possessions had gained a total of 12 yards. Now Jordan kept the ball safely on the ground, in the hands of Jeff McCall and Chuck McSwain, who made 2 first downs as Clemson gobbled up all but six seconds of the time remaining.
Those six seconds were counted down by the orange -clad crowd-loudly ,of course -and then it was over. No one had to wait for any pollsters to vote. The Tigers had made their "stupid" dream a reality

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sports Illustrated January 11 1982

Jan 11, 2021, 12:51 PM

Discos?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 11, 2021, 1:47 PM

Yeah, the discos. Just ask Balm, its where all the cool college kids hang out.

Jan 11, 2021, 1:38 PM

I have this issue and it is autographed by Perry Tuttle. Would never sell it. I was there and it was my sophomore year at Clemson.

It's amazing how far those farm boys from Nebraska

Jan 11, 2021, 1:47 PM

have fallen. They were so good for so long, and they haven't been relevant in a long time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: It's amazing how far those farm boys from Nebraska

Jan 11, 2021, 3:24 PM

there's really no calling card for any quality recruit to go out to the middle of no where.same thing for syracuse.there are so many other great programs to play for in much better surroundings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 11, 2021, 1:49 PM

I still have this issue from "back in the day."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2021, 2:25 PM

I was there and still have my Sports Illustrated copy. The mouthy Nebraska fans who rode the bus with us from the hotel did not get back on the bus after the game...Great memories....

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,553
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic